Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #1

My Favorite Mod So Far

The anaconda has been tamed. Next, portable 50A surge protector.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #2

I'm guessing you cut the cord off and added the plugs to shorten what was in the bay? did you use the rest of the cord outside, or get a new cord? Wouldn't it still be hard to roll up?

Ours just currently sits under the pull-out tray, we don't even try to coil it neatly........
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #3

Cut it and installed male/female plugs. It's much easier and faster to setup. Another advantage is that if you use a portable surge protector you can lock it in the basement vs. risking someone stealing it on the post. You also have the option to store it on one of the side compartments if you need the room in the basement. Real easy to do.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #4

Chris, here are the links where I got them from. The instruction tell you exactly what lengths to cut the wires so that it is easier to connect them up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon.com: Camco 55353 50 AMP Female Replacement Receptacle: Automotive
Old 06-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #5

Clever......! will have to look into that! We already have the built in power surge protector, but this would make it easier with the cord.....! One could also get a 30 amp extension cord and use that with the converter in the basement as well.....so many possibilities!!!!

I love this forum!
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #6

I'm no electrician, for sure. Is the wiring of the new male/female ends pretty straight forward? Thanks for your help

Sent from my SM-T210R using Forest River Forums mobile app
States Camped: Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, and Ontario CA.
swiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiseman View Post
I'm no electrician, for sure. Is the wiring of the new male/female ends pretty straight forward? Thanks for your help

Sent from my SM-T210R using Forest River Forums mobile app
The hardest part is stripping the wires. Each plug has a diagram with dimensions for each wire and where it goes. I used a PVC pipe cutter to cut the bundle, then a razor blade to strip the black insulator. You then cut and strip the wires per instructions. Screw/bolt everything in place and you are done.

Even a caveman can do it.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:17 AM   #8

Thanks alparmer. It's probably worth the trouble after having wrestled the 50amp cord through the pass through hole a few times.
States Camped: Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, and Ontario CA.
swiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #9

Silly question, why would you install it this way rather then just using the hard wire set up?

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
Silly question, why would you install it this way rather then just using the hard wire set up?
Old way: Wrestle coiled up anaconda through the port hole to get it connected to the post. Then recoil anaconda by wrestling it once again through the port hole.

New way: Grab anaconda and lay it on the ground. Hook up to the coach end, then hook up to the pole...no wrestling through port hole. When done, unplug it an throw anaconda wherever you want...I don't even coil it up anymore. I have an empty compartment and I just throw it in there.

As you can see, I like "easy". Oh, and don't forget that anaconda gets very stiff during colder weather making it even more challenging to wrestle.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
Old way: Wrestle coiled up anaconda through the port hole to get it connected to the post. Then recoil anaconda by wrestling it once again through the port hole.

New way: Grab anaconda and lay it on the ground. Hook up to the coach end, then hook up to the pole...no wrestling through port hole. When done, unplug it an throw anaconda wherever you want...I don't even coil it up anymore. I have an empty compartment and I just throw it in there.

As you can see, I like "easy". Oh, and don't forget that anaconda gets very stiff during colder weather making it even more challenging to wrestle.
Thank you for explaining that makes perfect sense

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications