Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2016, 10:15 PM   #1

My Mods

Here are a few mods and upgrades I did on my 364. They are not 364 specific so I put them in the general forum. I plan to do complete write-ups but other than the Vroom Dirt Devil, they are incredibly involved and some are still in progress:

My first one is the Trimark e-grab lighted grab handle (it seem like they forgot the correct word is ILLUMINATED). This mod is incredibly complicated because of all the different models and parts they offer. They do not cater to retail and assume you know everything about their system. That being said, they were more than happy to help me.

It can be as simple as getting the right handle and actuator, which I didn't. I had to remove the e-pad encapsulation and solder in missing wires. It wasn't hard but a definite pain. It can also get complicated if you want to install a full on system, which I am doing. I have Trimark entry door lock that can accept a power lock actuator but in looking at different locks it seems most can be modified.

The reason I did this one is I hate bringing keys to the beach but more importantly, our 5 member family and friends sometimes separate and it becomes a hassle to organize keys. The one that really kills me are the baggage doors. I plan to add actuators to those as well.

The iSeries tank monitor was incredibly hard due to lack of information and bad instructions, but I got'er done. I had to run 3 wires, which is not hard but I still need to build a custom panel this winter. I managed to squeeze it in with some modifications to the panels, frame and walls.

The reason I did this was to get the hassle free accuracy of externally mounted sensors that never foul. Equally important to me are the level alarms for tanks, propane, and battery. Gives me real peace of mind.

The panel handles up to 6 liquid tanks, 2 propane tanks, and monitors battery voltage. The software features several calibration methods to ensure that even odd shaped tanks can be accurately monitored. The picture is the rough fit version, it looks way better now.

This mod was a must for me. Living without an onboard vacuum is a major pain but so is dealing with a hose. I snagged a Vroom edition Dirt Devil central vac with all the accessories at RVupgrades for an excellent price. I don't know why but they are the only ones that seem to be selling a complete kit.

In case you are wondering, the Vroom is a self storing hose. The system is ingenious and uses wasted space under my cupboards and furnace. You pull out the amount of hose you want, lock it in place and vacuum.

When you're done, you unlock the hose , place your hand over the end and the hose automagically retracts. It simply does not get easier than that. Installation was straightforward.

My final mod is almost too complex to explain but it is basically an Android based head unit with GPS. I have a choice of GPS packages but the really neat part is that I was able to use it with a bluetooth ODB II connector and monitor all my mechanical systems with Torque. It also calculates MPG.

For it's final trick I am combining it with my headless TPMS monitoring and alarm system that can monitor up to 10 tires. This is very involved due to the need for a custom panel. I have it wired up and running but I am debating what to do for a custom dash because I may want to keep the camera system on a separate screen.

Modmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:20 PM   #2

Sweet!
2020 Indian Roadmaster
Toothpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:06 PM   #3

Awesome! I'm especially interested in the head unit and what headless TPMS you are using. I looked for one briefly but didn't find anything suitable for high pressure RV tires.

I want to get one of the double DIN head units that supports Android Auto, but it doesn't seem like there's a good place to put it unless you take out the screen for the cameras. Most of the units have 1 or 2 video inputs, so I suppose it may be possible to use those with the camera system, but like you, I'm not sure if I want to keep a screen dedicated to the cameras or not. Also I don't know if the camera system has 1 video input to the screen or 3. Is there an external controller somewhere that multiplexes the 3 cameras and controls which one is displayed based on the blinker, or does the screen itself contain that logic?
carmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:05 AM   #4
I go RV'ing not Camping

Wow....that was a really good read....I like all the mods you have done and an excellent write up
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:34 AM   #5

Tri-Mark

Modmike...would you happen to know the model number of the grab handle you used for this install? I have been searching for one that would fit mine and cant seem to find the correct one for my 2016 364.
Thanks
Daroyaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:36 AM   #6

Carmex,

Your comments mirror my concerns going in. I got this headless TPMS unit for my old travel trailer last year. Make sure the one you get can handle more than 4 tires and high pressure. Also make sure to order the extra sensors .

I absolutely wanted internal sensors so that made things even harder. The advantage of the box I got was that it has an internal buzzer for alarms so the moment something happens I could switch to its video input to see what was going on.

There are new wifi sensors that would work a treat but they are all limited to 4 tires as far as I could see.

The camera system in my rig has a 3 camera interface that is triggered by the turn signals. It then signals the monitor what channel to be on. It always defaults to rear view after 30 seconds.

I was hoping it simply routed the video because then you could use the reverse camera trigger on the radio and have it display whenever you needed the camera.

The thing is, I like the rear view camera when I am driving but that requires a whole new dash layout. I'm not against that but it's a lot of work.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daroyaci View Post
Modmike...would you happen to know the model number of the grab handle you used for this install? I have been searching for one that would fit mine and cant seem to find the correct one for my 2016 364.
Thanks
First, the bad news, there isn't one. Your handle is 16" on centre and the Trimarans are just a bit bigger so you have to align REALLY carefully to hide the holes from the old handle. You could cut the rod handle a little but you would need a lathe to form the ridges. I wish they made it standard 16" holes on centre.

There are several types of handles. Click on the 'View Products' tab at the bottom of the product page to see all the variations.

I made the mistake of getting the 4 wire CAN version off of ebay. I had to remove some of the potting material (RTV silicone that encapsulates the board), solder in new wires, then repot the electronics and reprogram the handle. Programming is easy but the rest was a pain.

But enough about my issues. There are 4 handles you can choose from, depending on what you want to do:

1) 5400200-2010 Part# 21927-06: Discrete, No Doorbell, Clear, No Wiring Harness[/U]

If you do not intend to use the e-Ask system (box that provides alarm, fob, onboard door relay, etc.) this is the one to get. You will need additional relays to drive the actuators for your doors. You can use standard slimline automotive power door lock actuators or order from Trimark.

I had a Trimark handle so I got the actuator, bracket, and screws from them. Their prices are incredibly reasonable. I think the actuator itself was $14.00.

2) 5400200-2014 UM10 manual Part# 21927-05: Discrete, No Doorbell, Clear, 9-Pin to 8-Pin

Same as above but with a 9 pin connector for use with an e-Ask module. If you happen to get this one and don't want to use the e-ask box, just cut off the connector to make it the same as above.

3) 5400200-2014 UM12 manual Part# 21927-04: Discrete, No Doorbell, Clear, 9-Pin to 8-Pin

Identical to item 2 but with an installation manual instead of the consumer manual. All the manuals are available online so really not an issue.

4) 5400200-2114 21927-03: Discrete, Doorbell, Clear, 9-Pin to 8-Pin

Same as above but the 5th digit is a doorbell. Please note are that this model only gives you 4 digit security.

The handle itself is INCREDIBLY well built and heavy duty, hats off to an American manufacturer for building such a beautifully crafted and manufactured product.

I want to take a moment to thank Anita at Trimark. She is a top notch engineer who was able to guide me through the electrical work needed to convert my handle. She truly exhibited the patience of Job in dealing with my million and one questions. In fact, I spoke to her this morning to make sure I had the right information.

Thanks Anita!
Old 05-26-2016, 10:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modmike View Post
Carmex,

Your comments mirror my concerns going in. I got this headless TPMS unit for my old travel trailer last year. Make sure the one you get can handle more than 4 tires and high pressure. Also make sure to order the extra sensors .

I absolutely wanted internal sensors so that made things even harder. The advantage of the box I got was that it has an internal buzzer for alarms so the moment something happens I could switch to its video input to see what was going on.

There are new wifi sensors that would work a treat but they are all limited to 4 tires as far as I could see.

The camera system in my rig has a 3 camera interface that is triggered by the turn signals. It then signals the monitor what channel to be on. It always defaults to rear view after 30 seconds.

I was hoping it simply routed the video because then you could use the reverse camera trigger on the radio and have it display whenever you needed the camera.

The thing is, I like the rear view camera when I am driving but that requires a whole new dash layout. I'm not against that but it's a lot of work.
Wow, none of the TPMS RV systems I've seen have internal sensors. I guess you have to have the tires taken off to rims to install these? How much did that run you?
carmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:07 AM   #9

No idea, I am still installing. They have a version with external sensors too I believe.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:17 AM   #10

Thanks

Thanks Modmike....I will check out your suggestions....btw great job on your mods!!!
Daroyaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #11

Nice work Mike. I like the iSeries tank monitor and the electronics with the TPMS. I've got the handle on our coach and love it. You're right about it being solid.

I'm eager to see the gps/camera/TPMS system come together.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:29 PM   #12

Thats going to be the last project. I need to finish the door handle, then the ice maker, followed by my new ATO with surge suppression.

Doesn't mean that long but probably 2 weeks away.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:44 PM   #13

Quick update: Ice maker, ATO with surge, and several others done. AND YES! The door handle is done! Nearly killed me but it is not that hard when you know what to do. I promise to write it up in a few weeks.

I got my Android head unit back and have it running so next big mod is mounting it in the panel. If anyone has ideas, I am all ears.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmex View Post
Awesome! I'm especially interested in the head unit and what headless TPMS you are using. I looked for one briefly but didn't find anything suitable for high pressure RV tires.

I want to get one of the double DIN head units that supports Android Auto, but it doesn't seem like there's a good place to put it unless you take out the screen for the cameras. Most of the units have 1 or 2 video inputs, so I suppose it may be possible to use those with the camera system, but like you, I'm not sure if I want to keep a screen dedicated to the cameras or not. Also I don't know if the camera system has 1 video input to the screen or 3. Is there an external controller somewhere that multiplexes the 3 cameras and controls which one is displayed based on the blinker, or does the screen itself contain that logic?
I finally got the radio in. I had to buy a new video switcher from the OEM that supplies Forest River. It turns out the unit we have is a multiplexer which triggers monitor channels.

The switcher is identical and was easy swap because it is plug for plug compatible, except for one trigger wire that needs to be added. The only difference is it has one regular video output that switches video to match the trigger. It also has a trigger output to put the radio in camera mode automatically.

First impressions:

It all works and switches video like it should, unfortunately I don't like it. Every time the video switches, the GPS is not visible. Think about this for a second, when do you need the GPS most? When you are changing lanes and making turns.

I will be going back to a dedicated camera monitor but intend to replace the stock monitor with a double din sized one. I think this will free up enough room to install both in the panel.

I really like having a dedicated unit to run Co-Pilot but I haven't figured out if I can use the radio app at the same time, which is a drag.

The TPMS, when installed, will work better than expected. My unit has a reverse camera trigger that will display the TPMS if an alarm comes on or when you are checking settings. That's the other reason I want to go back to a dedicated camera monitor.

I will keep you posted on my progress but it may be a few weeks. I need to finish both bathroom fixture replacements.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:37 AM   #15

Great mods! Looking forward to your write up on the install of door handle and Dirt devil.

Tags
modifications