Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2015, 07:30 PM   #1

My Satellite situation....

I bought a used 2012 327DS that has a KVH R5SL Sat antenna installed on the roof. My 327DS has 3 TV's, front, mid-cabin and bedroom.

The previous owner took the receiver(s), so I need to buy one or more and will go with DISH for the HD and the easy agreement for intermittent use. Probably go with the 211z receiver because it is updated with a faster processor, the downside is that it is HDMI output only. Looks like I can buy wireless HDMI transmit and rec'vrs from Peerless that will eliminate the need for running HDMI cables but they will all need power. On the other hand, I could just buy a 211K receiver that has the coax output, connect to the coax and watch the same channel on all 3 TV's and just be done with it.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-24-2015, 07:54 PM   #2

I bought the wireless HDMI transmitter and receivers that are powered by the USB input on the receiving TVs. Saved me from running a power supply to the HDMI receiver.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-24-2015, 08:54 PM   #3

I have the 211K and one more thing about the 211K is it has a OTA (Over The Air) tuner built in.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King View Post
I have the 211K and one more thing about the 211K is it has a OTA (Over The Air) tuner built in.
OK, I'm new to this coach but I remember seeing a Antenna, Sat, Cable switch. I've been using the OTA antenna on the roof to check out the TV's and it works just fine, even in HD. What is the advantage of having that OTA option on the 211K??

Secondly, my 327DS has the Home Theater speakers in the ceiling and a subwoofer. Do those speakers only work when the DVD player is being used? I haven't been able to get the sound out of them with OTA reception... sound only coming out of the built-in speakers in each TV.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:06 PM   #5

I have the 378xl and to get the built in speakers to work I either used the DVD in the radio or use the aux input mode of the radio. It work for me. I have now upgraded to a small Sony blue ray/stereo/tuner 5.1 home theater system. Much better sound and wasn't hard to install. It took more time to figure where to mount the speakers than to install the unit.
A sound bar may be a good alternative.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckSix View Post
OK, I'm new to this coach but I remember seeing a Antenna, Sat, Cable switch. I've been using the OTA antenna on the roof to check out the TV's and it works just fine, even in HD. What is the advantage of having that OTA option on the 211K??

Secondly, my 327DS has the Home Theater speakers in the ceiling and a subwoofer. Do those speakers only work when the DVD player is being used? I haven't been able to get the sound out of them with OTA reception... sound only coming out of the built-in speakers in each TV.
If you have the RCA DVD player select AUX IN on it and turn up the volume on the DVD player and you should have TV audio to the speakers.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
If you have the RCA DVD player select AUX IN on it and turn up the volume on the DVD player and you should have TV audio to the speakers.
I do have the RCA DVD player. I had the TV's on OA antenna last weekend and did turn on the RCA DVD player and tried turning up the volume but nothing happened. I didn't know about AUX IN though, so I will try that again.

I think I want to change to a Blu-Ray player though but need to understand what the requirements are for this installation.

Thanks for your input!
Old 02-25-2015, 10:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckSix View Post
With a OTA tuner, you could hook that up to your antenna and get local stations through the receiver and added to your guide. If you added the DVR functions to your receiver (add a external hard drive and pay Dish $30) you could record, pause and rewind programming that you get OTA.

It's not a huge deal, it is something that get with the K that the Z doesn't have. You can add a OTA tuner to the Z. Not sure of the cost for it.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #9

UPDATE

Thanks for all of the replies!

I elected to go with the newer DISH VIP 211Z receiver. The main reasons were it's much smaller size (I measured the cabinet with the RCA DVD HT unit in there) and much lower heat generation. To solve the HDMI TV connection issue, I now have an IOgear HD3D Kit transmitter/receiver for running HDMI video and audio to the 2 main TV's. I'll use an HDMI cable for the front TV using the pass through feature and then place the HDMI wireless receiver connected to the mid coach TV and use a USB cable to the TV to power it.

I also figured out how to get the TV audio over the HT ceiling speakers from the OTA antenna. The front TV over the windshield has an optical audio out. Using an optical cable, feed that back to the RCA DVD HT player optical audio input, then select the OPTICAL input and Voila! Sound over the HT ceiling speakers. That was easy! <rolls eyes>
Old 03-11-2015, 06:19 PM   #10

Which one.

Wrappman. Do you have 2 TVs receiving a wireless signal from 1 transmitter? Which product did you use? I've tried a couple of them. Signal to 1 tv - great. Signal to 2 TVs - didn't work. I used the ActionTec product.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
I bought the wireless HDMI transmitter and receivers that are powered by the USB input on the receiving TVs. Saved me from running a power supply to the HDMI receiver.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:38 PM   #11

Bigben, I have 1 transmitter and 1 receiver. I relocate my HD DVR from over the passenger compartment to under the main TV. I then put the wireless HDMI transmitter next to it and added a splitter so I could watch all the channels on the outside TV. I then put the HDMI receiver in the bedroom and powered it by the USB outlet on the bedroom TV. The model I bought has only 1 receive but Omega makes another model that has 2 receivers. I ought mine at H & B Photo. They guaranteed it would work as I described it to them or my money back. I'll get you the model number in the next few days or you can look them up on the web.
I have a manual HD satellite dish so I ran 2 coaxial cables into the coach from under the right slideout.
I can download some pics if you need them.
Hope this helps

Old 03-12-2015, 07:36 AM   #12

wrapperman - got it thanks so much. My reception in the bedroom is a little dicey. I will think through this. For now I believe I might be able to do this is some form. Thanks again.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:28 AM   #13

update: Got the DISH 211z activated. The IOgear wireless HDMI xmit and rcvr work great! All is good.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:41 AM   #14

Glad to hear!
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite