Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2016, 10:04 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26
myrtle beach

best route to Myrtle beach SC from Pittsburgh pa either 76 to 70 to 95 or going through west Virginia Thanks in advance
__________________

__________________
bojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:40 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
CaptnJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojack View Post
best route to Myrtle beach SC from Pittsburgh pa either 76 to 70 to 95 or going through west Virginia Thanks in advance
I have been driving from just NW of PGH to the beach since 1974. Now live just north of Myrtle.

Take 79 to Rt 19 in WV.
Rt 19 to I 77 at Beckley
I 77 to 8 (turns into 52) at Mt Airy
52 to Winston-Salem then 74 toward Greensboro.
then 220 (also called I 73 / I 74 corridor) to Asheboro.
74 to ~~ you have choices depending on how far south in Myrtle or N Myrtle. I'd take 410 through Chadburn to 701 at Tabor City. Then either take Rt 9 to N Myrtle or continue south to Myrtle.

Rt 95 sux big time until you get to NC, especially from north of Baltimore around DC (495) until past Richmond. Way too much traffic and way too many stops/slow downs due to accidents/construction. Of course I 79 in PA will have their yearly destruction ~~
__________________

__________________
2017 Montana HC 370BR
2016 F350 diesel
Edgewater 205 EX 150 Yamaha
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:01 PM   #3
Member
 
crash3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: canada
Posts: 77
See ya there. We leave tomorrow from Toronto.


2012 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 3.55 4x4
2014 rockwood roo 233s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
crash3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #4
Member
 
Darmo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 69
Is there a RV park in Myrtle Beach you stay at ?
__________________
Daryl

2014 Georgetown 351ds
Darmo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I have been driving from just NW of PGH to the beach since 1974. Now live just north of Myrtle.

Take 79 to Rt 19 in WV.
Rt 19 to I 77 at Beckley
I 77 to 8 (turns into 52) at Mt Airy
52 to Winston-Salem then 74 toward Greensboro.
then 220 (also called I 73 / I 74 corridor) to Asheboro.
74 to ~~ you have choices depending on how far south in Myrtle or N Myrtle. I'd take 410 through Chadburn to 701 at Tabor City. Then either take Rt 9 to N Myrtle or continue south to Myrtle.

Rt 95 sux big time until you get to NC, especially from north of Baltimore around DC (495) until past Richmond. Way too much traffic and way too many stops/slow downs due to accidents/construction. Of course I 79 in PA will have their yearly destruction ~~

X2.....definitely avoid the I70 route east of I81. You could also take I81 south and pick up the above route or (as we used to) take US 17 south from Winchester, Va to I95 just north of Fredricksburg, Va or just keep going south to either I66 or I77 as above.
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"[/I][/B]
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:46 PM   #6
Member
 
crash3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: canada
Posts: 77
Staying in MB state park. It's super nice.


2012 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 3.55 4x4
2014 rockwood roo 233s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
crash3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:31 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
CaptnJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmo15 View Post
Is there a RV park in Myrtle Beach you stay at ?
We live at the beach in NC just 30 minutes from Myrtle so do not camp here. Before we moved here we did camp at Myrtle Beach Travel Park in North Myrtle Beach. A lot less touristy then, a little less now than Myrtle Beach. You can be right on the beach but we learned 3 back was best as when the wind blows the sand is coming with it. If determined on Myrtle I'd try Ocean Lakes. I hear good things about both. Both have pullthru full hookup sites.
__________________
2017 Montana HC 370BR
2016 F350 diesel
Edgewater 205 EX 150 Yamaha
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:28 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
cjd10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash3 View Post
Staying in MB state park. It's super nice.


2012 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 3.55 4x4
2014 rockwood roo 233s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is our favorite place to stay in Myrtle Beach. We are fortunate to be only about an hour away and stay there three or four times a year for long weekend trips.
__________________
2014 Georgetown 351DS

Charleston SC
3 Boston Terriers, 1 Frenchie
Gonna miss you Toby. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:10 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
BillMFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
X2.....definitely avoid the I70 route east of I81. You could also take I81 south and pick up the above route or (as we used to) take US 17 south from Winchester, Va to I95 just north of Fredricksburg, Va or just keep going south to either I66 or I77 as above.
Yup. I use 17 to/from 81/95 several times a year. Avoids Baltimore/Washington traffic and 17 is a pleasant 4 lane road thru Va countryside. There also is cheap gas and food midway.
__________________

__________________
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.