Old 03-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #1

Mysterious chirping

I have a 2010 GT350 TS. Upon return from my winter vacation to AZ I have put it in storage. A couple of days ago I checked it and it has begun a mysterious chirping sound emanating from the little white gizmo near the floor at the entry. I thought this was the propane detector and usually when it is not chirping there is a green LED that is on. Now that it is chirping there is a red LED blinking. I have my propane turned off so it is a mystery to me why this is happening. Did I misunderstand that this was the propane detector? Any thoughts on why this new modis operandi?
Lloyd

Old 03-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #2

Battery?

Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #3

Yep !! Check the battery in your "little white gizmo", would be my suggestion as well.

...VTX-AL
Old 03-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #4

Might be a carbon monoxide detector (like a smoke detector) that has a battery. As others have said, check the battery.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Site Team

My LP gas detector is hard wired to the house battery.
If yours is the same, maybe your house battery is going down?

This is a "parasitic" discharge and one of the many reasons
to have a battery disconnect switch.
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #6

The smoke detector in our bedroom was doing the same chirping at one time. Replaced the battery, and cleared the problem.

TV and radio always mention replacing the batteries in your home twice a year when we move the clocks ahead and back for daylight savings. Not knowing exactly when the units in your RV were installed, maybe ALL detectors (smoke, propane, carbon monoxide) should be included to be changed by all of us!!!!!!!!

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #7

Had this happen to me. Mine was the carbon monoxide detector and it did this when it crapped out..had to replace it.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburst2 View Post
I have a 2010 GT350 TS. Upon return from my winter vacation to AZ I have put it in storage. A couple of days ago I checked it and it has begun a mysterious chirping sound emanating from the little white gizmo near the floor at the entry. I thought this was the propane detector and usually when it is not chirping there is a green LED that is on. Now that it is chirping there is a red LED blinking. I have my propane turned off so it is a mystery to me why this is happening. Did I misunderstand that this was the propane detector? Any thoughts on why this new modis operandi?
Lloyd
It is the propane detector. Either your coach battery disconnect is turned off, it does stay lighted though, or your coach batteries are down to a very low level.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:01 PM   #9

Well I want to thank everyone for the hints. All of you were on the right track and a couple of people hit the nail right on the head. The propane detector is hardwired into the coach battery system which is comprised of 4 golf cart batteries. There was no where in my mind that the parasitic loads could discharge my batteries from fully charged to low in 2 weeks. Therefore I did not even consider that as an option although I had expeienced the chirping in previous coaches when the dry cell in the smoke detector needed changing. Well I was dead wrong. My battery bank was dead flat. Even the led on the propane detector was now dead. With my multi testor I found that the battery bank measured 10.2 Volts. In other word the electrolite was "like love in a canoe". I put my wheely 60 Amp charger plus my 25 amp smart charger plus my 10 amp smart charger to work and by the end of the day I had the batteries back to about 80%. By the next day with my 25 amp charger and the solar panels I had the bank restored to 100%. What an ordeal. Who would have thought that those little parasites could deplete 440 AH in less than 2 weeks. The astonishing part was I had the coach plugged in to shore power. This raised an obvious concern with me. Can the coach be plugged in but the converter not charging? I was down south for 2 months plugged into shorepower and along with the 2X135 Watt solar panels kept my batteries at near 100 %. Mind you, my disconnect was definitely turned on and that may have been the difference. Any thoughts out there on this mystery? Can the disconnect be "off" even when the little indicator light is glowing?
Someone please clear up this mystery?
Regards,
Lloyd
Old 03-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #10

Last chirping I had was a squirrel in the underbelly. Hope yours isn't . Lol

2005 Polaris sportman 500HO (mine)

trailraider is offline   Reply With Quote