Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2015, 10:14 PM   #21

You have a Banks system so why not go with a performance converter?

Here's a 3" Flowmaster
Amazon.com: Flowmaster 2230130 223 Series 3" Inlet/Outlet Universal Catalytic Converter: Automotive

and a Magnaflow
3" Magnaflow Universal 59959 Catalytic Converter High Flow Spun Metallic Cat | eBay
Old 12-29-2015, 08:54 AM   #22

Thanks everyone for your replies. I've got all your sources and replacement recommendations down. Looks like this won't end up being the issue I was concerned it would be. Thanks.
BigMac8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Not necessarily ............................. You have to prove the dealer did not take reasonable care of the vehicle ...... Likely you would have to take the dealer / ins co. to court & you would likely loose........

Common for Cats to get stolen around here.....
You're mistaken. The liability goes to; reasonable expectation doctrine. By that it is "assumed" your vehicle is safe from vandals while in the care and custody of the dealer/repair facility. You are correct that the insurance company will try and skate, thats a tactic they employ often. However, if the dealer refuses to make you whole prior to the loss, because they do not want to engage their insurance, a simple filing with small claims often brings them to their senses. Too often, those that are accountable get away with what should be good business practice and customer service. But, for those like Bigmac if he so choses, who want to lighten their wallets, heck it's a free country!
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
You're mistaken. The liability goes to; reasonable expectation doctrine. By that it is "assumed" your vehicle is safe from vandals while in the care and custody of the dealer/repair facility. You are correct that the insurance company will try and skate, thats a tactic they employ often. However, if the dealer refuses to make you whole prior to the loss, because they do not want to engage their insurance, a simple filing with small claims often brings them to their senses. Too often, those that are accountable get away with what should be good business practice and customer service. But, for those like Bigmac if he so choses, who want to lighten their wallets, heck it's a free country!
That might work in your state but not here, all the dealer would need is reasonable care.......... after that is court & 9 out of 10 the dealer would win. Seen it all to often...........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
That might work in your state but not here, all the dealer would need is reasonable care.......... after that is court & 9 out of 10 the dealer would win. Seen it all to often...........
The operative word is "doctrine" the meaning is the general application of the law, without regard to jurisdictional bounds. That is what doctrine means in the word smith realm. I left out the requirement, as is the case in your state, that the corporation MUST be represented by an attorney ' Virginia follows the majority rule which states that an LLC or Corporation is a separate and distinct entity from the owners. To clarify, a non-attorney couldn’t represent their neighbor in a Virginia court. The rules are exactly the same for LLCs or Corporations. If the non-attorney tries to represent the LLC/Corporation, they are committing a crime in Virginia. Va. Code Ann. § 54.1-3904.'

So, the decision becomes; does the dealership, which certainly is a corporation, spend $10 to save $2. In other words, it MUST pay a lawyer to represent, thus it is cheaper to submit the claim to their insurance company. Hope that clarifies it better for you.

The moral here is; if they don't want to follow best business practices, then pull the proverbial rabbit out of the HAT!

Hope that helps you in making my point clearer.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #26

1st. Still Kickin seems to be the person i would rely on.
2nd Take the thing to a muffler shop and have them put a Cat on it. Jeez
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:20 PM   #27

Just call Banks and ask what they would recommend! Since you have their system already!
Old 12-29-2015, 04:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
The operative word is "doctrine" the meaning is the general application of the law, without regard to jurisdictional bounds. That is what doctrine means in the word smith realm. I left out the requirement, as is the case in your state, that the corporation MUST be represented by an attorney ' Virginia follows the majority rule which states that an LLC or Corporation is a separate and distinct entity from the owners. To clarify, a non-attorney couldn’t represent their neighbor in a Virginia court. The rules are exactly the same for LLCs or Corporations. If the non-attorney tries to represent the LLC/Corporation, they are committing a crime in Virginia. Va. Code Ann. § 54.1-3904.'

So, the decision becomes; does the dealership, which certainly is a corporation, spend $10 to save $2. In other words, it MUST pay a lawyer to represent, thus it is cheaper to submit the claim to their insurance company. Hope that clarifies it better for you.

The moral here is; if they don't want to follow best business practices, then pull the proverbial rabbit out of the HAT!

Hope that helps you in making my point clearer.

I'm not going to argue the point any more...... you will not get a dime from the dealer here period................. Good Luck Trying..........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 12-29-2015, 11:20 PM   #29

I agree with Oaklevel. At our dealership you sign a waiver stating we are not liable for your vehicle before you leave it. Have seen vehicles totaled and customers insurance is on the hook not dealer. Just saying.
Mahlstedtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:32 PM   #30
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
What states ?
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlstedtd View Post
I agree with Oaklevel. At our dealership you sign a waiver stating we are not liable for your vehicle before you leave it. Have seen vehicles totaled and customers insurance is on the hook not dealer. Just saying.
If the vehicle gets totaled (I assume you meant while being driven) then it's pretty easy to prove negligence which would void just about anything the dealer had you sign. Of course, it it was totaled due to another driver hitting it then it's their insurance problem, not yours or the dealers.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #32

Thanks again for everyone's inputs. To answer a few questions and then close this out, here goes...

• My State of Residence is Ohio. No emission testing. But I do intend to trade it in some day for another, so no Cat is really not a viable option, although I did give the idea due consideration.
• I'm not going after the dealer on this. They were harmed in this incident (new units also hit) as well as the private MH owners. This dealership is a class act and my relationship with them is outstanding. For 11 years their support has been great and on many occasion beyond any obligation they had to me, and I have insurance for this incident. So I'll be compensated and the dealership will go out of their way to be sure I am more than satisfied with the final outcome.
• As I've been educated thru this process, it's clear that a universal Cat will fit the bill as replacement, as the Banks system is designed to mate with the respective OEM converters. Dealership is working with a local shop that they know to get that done, so the outcome there will be just fine.

So thanks to everyone again for your replies. I love this forum for that very reason. People more than willing to help another fellow RV'er with knowledgeable inputs. This is quite the support system we have.

Happy New Year!
BigMac8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #33
Left Coast

Glad it all worked out
Old 12-30-2015, 11:43 AM   #34

Glad things are working out. Hopefully you won't be down too long.

For a few dollars the thieves have no idea how they affect others as well as their own lives.

Our area has been hard hit with unemployment, Cats, Copper, even outside building AC units have been common targets. Had one guy nearly died from trying to steal the copper from a 440V live line and burnt the building to the ground in the process. Even stole all the shore power cords from RVs at our near by dealership for the copper.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 12-30-2015, 11:58 AM   #35
Left Coast

Serves 'em right... The bad guy!
Old 12-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac8253 View Post
Thanks again for everyone's inputs. To answer a few questions and then close this out, here goes...

• My State of Residence is Ohio. No emission testing. But I do intend to trade it in some day for another, so no Cat is really not a viable option, although I did give the idea due consideration.
• I'm not going after the dealer on this. They were harmed in this incident (new units also hit) as well as the private MH owners. This dealership is a class act and my relationship with them is outstanding. For 11 years their support has been great and on many occasion beyond any obligation they had to me, and I have insurance for this incident. So I'll be compensated and the dealership will go out of their way to be sure I am more than satisfied with the final outcome.
• As I've been educated thru this process, it's clear that a universal Cat will fit the bill as replacement, as the Banks system is designed to mate with the respective OEM converters. Dealership is working with a local shop that they know to get that done, so the outcome there will be just fine.

So thanks to everyone again for your replies. I love this forum for that very reason. People more than willing to help another fellow RV'er with knowledgeable inputs. This is quite the support system we have.

Happy New Year!
Good for you for taking the high road. It will pay off for you in the future (it' called Karma).
Old 12-30-2015, 04:38 PM   #37

Glad it worked out.

Tags
cat, converter, replacement