Old 12-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #21
I only buy Garmin. When i was a geek at Best Buy the Tom Tom was the most returned unit I don't remember Garmin being returned. We just bought the Garmin 760LMT and love it.
We had a nuvi and loved it also have a dakota for off trail riding.

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:34 PM   #22
Garmin seems to have the best overall functions. Best maps, best voice directions. We have the stand alone Garmin that DW and I affectionately refer to as "The Lady". She is always with us, but only connected when necessary. We have a GPS in our 2500TS and a Panasonic head unit with GPS in our Silverado. The Lady always wins the performance contest in all aspects even though she is getting elderly. What we really like is that when you miss a turn or decide to take a different route, The Lady will recalculate the route in short order. The Panasonic GPS often takes the long way to gramma's house and won't change unless you stop and reset it. It has told us to go back 20 miles to hit an Interstate that is within a mile of us.

A stand alone GPS has the advantage of giving voice directions without having to have the radio tuner on. But the in-dash units have their own advantages.

PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #23
We do all our navigation with our iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:58 PM   #24
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
I have the Good Sam gps from Camping World and love it. It is easy to read and can be programmed with the length of your RV and any towables and it will route you accordingly. On the screen it shows Points of interest such as state parks, all campgrounds and dump stations, flying J, Good Sam, RV repair facilities, wal marts, and other places that can be added such as vets, etc. If you press on a location it will give contact info, hours, etc so we can make reservations on the fly. It will also show all gas stations, restaurants, rest areas, etc. If you pay extra for Wi-Fi connection it will give real time traffic reports and alternate routings.
I attached a piece of foam to the back and mounted it to my steering wheel so it is at my finger tips. I recommend it, it is powered by Rand McNally and costs under 300.00
Jim, please, please, please move that GPS unit. I'm assuming your vehicle has an airbag. In the event of an airbag deployment, that GPS unit will be like taking a cannonball to the face. I have some specialized knowledge of airbags and have no doubt, that few ounces of plastic and metal would easily kill you at the speeds of an airbag deployment.

If you don't have an airbag, love the mounting location.
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #25
Garmin RV 760 LMt

I just received a Garmin RV 760 LMT. As was stated by others it has provisions for your RV that help guide you on routes that will accommodate your rig. It has a 7"screen which is helpful for "older' eyes. The "LMT" designation stands for lifetime maps. The RV 760 also can connect to your smartphone through the "Smart Link" app which allows you or your passenger/navigator to do a lot of functions on their smartphone along with RV 760 GPS. We got ours from Amazon but Good Sam has a similar model loaded with all the Good Sam campgrounds. Ours came loaded with "America's RV Parks & Services".

Please don't listen to the folks who try and tell you that you don't need a separate GPS specific device. When my old GARMIN died I tried using my cell phone with the various GPS apps for several trips and it was an awful experience..

I am on my third Garmin and have had one since 2009. I have tried Tom Tom, various smartphone GPS programs etc and find the Garmin software much easier to use.
mjpallone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:48 PM   #26
Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Originally Posted by grumpyoldman View Post
I have the same one and it seems slow to update. If I make a wrong turn, it takes more than a minute to update with a new route. That can be frustrating when you know you're going the wrong way and the GPS is taking forever to tell you the correct way to go.
I think you need to do an update or something mine re calculates instantly. Did yours come with free updates? Mine just gives us the next turn with no comments.
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:57 PM   #27
Need Advice on New GPS Units

We have had a Tom Tom for a few years now with free live traffic and map updates....just a caution on some other brands....they only have limited map updates each year. We get unlimited map updates and sometimes it's every month. As far as the RV GPS....everything I read about them and especially from the truckers point of view....there are not great ones out there for bridge clearances. Some of the bridges that are low are not registered and won't get picked up by the GPS and this is according to truckers.

When I buy another one it will probably be another Tomtom and by the way I contacted Tomtom about why they had discontinued the GPS model and they said they were having problems with it which I suspect some of it, might have been bridge clearances. The truckers did mention some Bridge clearance website that you can access if you know your route in advance.
Another camper we met, said the Good Sam Club that he is registered with, will give you bridge clearances.

Good luck....Joe O
Joe O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:27 PM   #28
Garmin RV 760LMT gets another vote from me...2x cross country this year and no issues. I also use the android tablet app CoPilot Premium...(about $10 bucks) to get alternate routes & compare. This lets you load your maps into your tablet so unlike google don't need a data connection in remote places to see where you are. also has RV settings like the dedicated units.
If I had to choose one though it would be the Garmin.
One other thiing to mention...think about the mounting system. The mount that comes with the unit is fine if it fits your coach mounting needs. I got the bean bag mount which allows us to shift the screen to different locations depending on who is navigating...and to remove it from the dashboard so as not to provide a tempting target.
2015 Georgetown 280DS
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #29
I have been using Garmins since they had hard drives. My son uses Garmin in his airplane and I think his autopilot is Garmin. I have used them all across the U.S. and Canada and Alaska. I now have a 760 RV unit.

That said, they are not perfect. On one route it would add 30 minutes if I didn't know a better route. Used mine to travel from the rally in Goshen to PEI Canada with no failures.

I definitely would recommend Garmin.

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #30
I don't think the RV760 can't be beat. Garmin has a new RV660. You might check that one out although it has a smaller screen.

The 760 has a discussion group that can and will answer any question even while you are on the road. I was in mid Texas with a question and it was answered in minutes by another owner.

Support is worth money.

aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote