Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #41

The Garmin RV 760 LMT records your rig's specs including height and weight. As long as bridges on your path have been recorded, you should be good-to-go.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe O View Post
I've now seen a lot of feedback on the RV GPS especially Garmin, but what I haven't really seen is anyone talking about bridge clearance issues. I like to take back roads and stay off main highways and freeways so bridge clearances is a main concern since we bought a new 33IK Silverback last year which stands at about 13ft high or 4metres.

Like I said, the comments I read on-line from truckers is that the RV GPS aren't that reliable for bridge clearance. Anyone had any issues with bridge clearances?
So if the GPS is not accurate on heights then why not just buy a car GPS instead of the RV version
Old 12-29-2015, 10:23 AM   #43

I have a rand McNally 7735 and have it all set for my fiver but have not been anywhere with it. Used it in my work truck to see how it works. Haven't been able to find a low bridge here in California where I live yet but it does tell me load limits real well so far. I went several places so far has not steered me wrong I do use paper maps all the time and once I go one time I never get lost after that.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:07 PM   #44
roothoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoore0852 View Post
Jim, please, please, please move that GPS unit. I'm assuming your vehicle has an airbag. In the event of an airbag deployment, that GPS unit will be like taking a cannonball to the face. I have some specialized knowledge of airbags and have no doubt, that few ounces of plastic and metal would easily kill you at the speeds of an airbag deployment.

If you don't have an airbag, love the mounting location.
my thoughts as well, not a good idea
roothoss1282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:22 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by roothoss1282 View Post
my thoughts as well, not a good idea
Georgetown's do not have air bags.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:31 PM   #46

I have a Galaxy 5 phone that has Google Maps. After I used it once, I threw the Garmin in the trash. It is updated constantly and is very dependable. I have been dragged kicking and screaming into the tech world, but this thing really works great!!!
bounj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:01 PM   #47

Google maps does not work in many remote areas (like national parks) and also does not provide RV routing to avoid low clearance bridges...restricted tunnels etc.
It may be fine for some needs but is certainly NOT suitable for extended RV use in motorhomes in unfamiliar territory...I can attest to this personally.
There's nothing wrong with using google maps to find all sorts of stuff and I use it almost daily when on the road. But I use my Garmin RV as prime navigation. If you like google and cheap...suggest you try CoPilot Premium which overcomes the shortcomings I noted for about $10 bucks and lets you carry your maps IN your phone rather than rely on a good connection to get them and has RV settings & preferences.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:25 AM   #48

I have an iPhone 6S. Bigger screen and gets Google maps. No way am I going to play with that screen compared to a 7" screen on my dash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounj2 View Post
I have a Galaxy 5 phone that has Google Maps. After I used it once, I threw the Garmin in the trash. It is updated constantly and is very dependable. I have been dragged kicking and screaming into the tech world, but this thing really works great!!!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:14 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair View Post
Ok the time to replace my old Tom Tom unit. I would like any recommendations on the new units that are out there. Would like to have voice commands so I do not have to keep typing everything and a large screen would be nice. Thanks in advance.
I just reciently bought the Garmin 760LM and am very pleased with it. It has voice commands, haven't tried them yet though, and a 7 inch screen plus a ton of other features. Had questions about using some features and wrote here and got [lenty of answers but also wrote Garmin and got answers in two days. This thing will do things I didn't know I wanted to do.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:13 PM   #50

Quote:
I've now seen a lot of feedback on the RV GPS especially Garmin, but what I haven't really seen is anyone talking about bridge clearance issues. I like to take back roads and stay off main highways and freeways so bridge clearances is a main concern since we bought a new 33IK Silverback last year which stands at about 13ft high or 4metres.

Like I said, the comments I read on-line from truckers is that the RV GPS aren't that reliable for bridge clearance. Anyone had any issues with bridge clearances?
I told my Garmin i was 13'6" and never received a warning nor did I encounter a short overpass. I did have a bridge weight limit warning that I bypassed.

Bill
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:58 PM   #51

Quote:

I really do not think that they can be exact. If they overlay a road they just made the overpass 2" lower unless they taper to it. There is no sure fire way but to plan your routes and look at the bridges through a Trucker atlas and your Garmin. I'm 12'8" high I know that from measuring. I set mine for 13'. If you travel back roads not even a RV or Trucker model will bring some areas up. It will warn you that there is no data for that road. That's when you can check your truckers atlas and look. I then would keep a close eye on road signs with height warnings. Not many overpass's under 13' that I have seen. If a truck can go down that rd. I'm sure you can also. It's a tool not a guarantee... There a overpass in Durham NC less then 12', there is a big sign posted 2 blocks before it. Almost every month an RV or a truck hits it. Makes no sense at all to me, they must be driving in Disneyland.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:14 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I just bought a Garmin RV GPS from thegpsstore.com. It can be used in regular or RV mode. Has all you asked for I believe. A rear camera can be ordered also for $155 that is wireless to the GPS unit. I found thegpsstore.com to have the best prices and service.
X4 on the RV760LMT. Great unit.

If you are going to get the backup camera option, however, buy from Amazon - it's cheaper @ $443.71.
http://smile.amazon.com/Garmin-760LM...words=rv760lmt
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:02 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
I told my Garmin i was 13'6" and never received a warning nor did I encounter a short overpass. I did have a bridge weight limit warning that I bypassed.

Bill
The Garmin lets you input your settings, weight height ans so on. Never any guarantees though. Saw an 18 wheeler stuck on the news one day. The road had been repaved adding 4 inches asphalt. The sign was not updated though so guess what. Same thing can happen with any GPS, right?

My 5er is listed at 13 feet 6 inches so I I put 14 feet in the specs for the GPS and hope it is good enough.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:55 AM   #54
I Break Everything

Garmin RV 760LMT, Updates easily. Has same quirks about all the other portables have. can go from RV to toad easily. Does give some traffic updates. We usually have a few smart phones with us verifying routes even though it will over optional routes. Somewhat customizable.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #55

WOW!
6 pages of suggestions with 54 messages.
So many opinions.

I'll add mine.
Andrew just follow me. lol
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:05 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
WOW!
6 pages of suggestions with 54 messages.
So many opinions.
Iggy, Im on page #2 and will be till post #80.
You CAN save some clicks and have more time to enter waypoints.

UserCP>>>Edit Options>>>Thread Display Options>>>>Number of posts to show per page>>>Show 40....Voila!

2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote