Old 12-28-2015, 05:07 PM   #31
Happily Retired Member
Stay away from Magellan roadmate. A few years ago we purchased a Roadmate 1500LM for a trip to Texas Hill country. I kid you not, It was wrong 100% of the time. To find local sites and towns, We ordered a Garmin and had it delivered to the campground. It was correct 100% of the time.

Mickey & Sue Stamper
2013 GT XL 378TS
Fire Mist

2013 Ford Escape on Landgrebe tow dolly
Mickeystamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #32
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
I have a philosophy regarding GPS of any sort. Be careful.
I have a Garmin based unit in my wife's jeep, which we keep updated. Not sure it is worth the expanse. I also use Waze, and Google Maps on my phone or iPad.
Google maps is supposedly updated daily. Garmin systems are updated when you pay for it. Annually?
I have had the two systems on at the same time as a rule, since the first time I tried to make my way across the Los Angeles basin from almost to San Diego, to Tujunga. It was a good thing I knew which general direction I was going, because the Garmin system in the vehicle tried to send me south, when I knew the proper direction was north.
The simplest caveat applies: Knew where you are going, so that when you get directions that don't make sense, you will check your route.
Yes, I also use a map.
People have been sent off into the desert in winter, or across mountains into snowy closed roads because of their GPS. Or rather, because of their implicit reliance on a fallible system.
Use some thought, Preplan as much as possible. You don't want to find yourself with no turnaround, dragging your huge rig, with your wife and grandkids, in a neighborhood you wouldn't enter with a squad of infantry. Or way off in the back country where you won't be found until spring.
Sometimes you can't fix stupid. It is in some human generic code.
Like someone tells a group to jump off the bridge.
The human mind has to be used all the time when using a GPS.
But again as I said sometimes you can't fix stupid.

2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 49,000 miles
(2013 - 98 days) (2014 - 117 days) (2015 - 67 days) (2016 - 115 days)
USAF Retired - MSgt

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:26 PM   #33
Happy Camper
Go Garman & lifetime updates, which ever level you buy.

The upper units do cost more but on a rainy night trying to find the campground, you'll be glad you paid a little more to get the best directions.

You will not be disappointed and probably be amaized at what you have to work with while planning or during travel.
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:01 PM   #34
Thank you all for the advise and keep this coming like the discussions, opinions.
Andrew & Donna Reyes
2012 Georgetown 378XL
2015 Ford Taurus
Our Baby Dachshund
ramair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:33 PM   #35
I just watch out all the GPS units will get you lost or try to take you the long way. We got the RV 760 LMT and used it for one 800 mile trip and less than 1/2 way there got the map out after it tried to take us way off the direction we needed to go for the 4th time. Returned it for a refund as soon as we got back home. We never got lost with our maps!
2014 Palomino Columbus 3650TH
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:10 AM   #36
Usually Confused Member
After having to deal with Garmin in my pre-retirement life in the aviation community I will never have anything to do with any of their products. They are ALWAYS right and you are ALWAYS wrong. And...this is for products that cost in the $400,000 and up range. I'm sure their cheaper automotive units are fine products, just not for me.

As others have mentioned, every single automotive GPS is very capable of getting you lost. For everyday driving I'm pleased with a combination of Apple Maps, Google Maps and TomTom maps on the iPhone and iPad. For whatever reason it seems the TomTom app is much more accurate when using the European version.

Maybe it's out there but I've yet to find an app that is RV/big truck specific and reliable. Hopefully that will come along soon.
At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:44 AM   #37
2012 Solera
Bought our Garmin 760 LMT in 2013, as I remember. Good, not perfect. I particularly like the bright, sharp display. I turn off the voice on my GPS units and use the display. When I bought the Garmin I looked at others in the stores (Camping World, West Marine) and many of the others had dim displays (including the Magnadyne that came with our Solera and the Toyota in our 2005 Prius).
2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:42 AM   #38
Originally Posted by mud yapster View Post
I just watch out all the GPS units will get you lost or try to take you the long way. We got the RV 760 LMT and used it for one 800 mile trip and less than 1/2 way there got the map out after it tried to take us way off the direction we needed to go for the 4th time. Returned it for a refund as soon as we got back home. We never got lost with our maps!
I have never got lost with the 760LMT. It's the only one that works good enough for me, but you still need to review your maps also. I would always get lost or turned down the wrong road when I had set to Shortest Route. Reset it to fastest and it's been working okay on RV mode when I use car mode is when it starts to take you down weird roads and places. Up dates are important I do them at night being it takes like 6 hrs for some. Before the 760LMT I tried the trucker magel. model and sent that back the first day. It's hit or miss with these things.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:37 AM   #39
If I want the latest version I have to pay $6.97 for annual updates to my Rand McNally at Walmart. Always gets me to where I want to go and never gets me lost.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:35 AM   #40
Need Advice on New GPS Units

I've now seen a lot of feedback on the RV GPS especially Garmin, but what I haven't really seen is anyone talking about bridge clearance issues. I like to take back roads and stay off main highways and freeways so bridge clearances is a main concern since we bought a new 33IK Silverback last year which stands at about 13ft high or 4metres.

Like I said, the comments I read on-line from truckers is that the RV GPS aren't that reliable for bridge clearance. Anyone had any issues with bridge clearances?

Joe O is offline   Reply With Quote