Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2015, 09:29 PM   #1

Cool Need Advice on New GPS Units

Ok the time to replace my old Tom Tom unit. I would like any recommendations on the new units that are out there. Would like to have voice commands so I do not have to keep typing everything and a large screen would be nice. Thanks in advance.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:35 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
We like our Garmin RV 760LMT and it seems to cover everything you are looking for.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:57 PM   #3

Andrew the one I use which you know about is a Garmin 2595LM.
Its not an RV one but it still works for me.
I'm sure they have a newer model as mine is a few years old.
1. First figure what size screen you want 6", 7" or larger.
2. You said you want voice command and most Garmins have that.
3. Next you definitely want life time maps.
4. You also may want to consider the one that tell you about local traffic and accidents.
5. Price ranges from $249 and up. One of the new ones I looked at is the Garmin Nuvi 2799LMT which costs about $270

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod112203.html

Here it is for $229 no tax and I think free shipping
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

Iggy
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:21 PM   #4

Thanks Falcon 35

Thanks Iggy, also I still have not received a bill from that last toll I missed in IL, maybe they did not get the license plate, also we have different plates on it now. lol
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 11:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair View Post
Thanks Falcon 35

Thanks Iggy, also I still have not received a bill from that last toll I missed in IL, maybe they did not get the license plate, also we have different plates on it now. lol
Your Georgetown was going so fast thru the toll bypass you caught them by surprise and the cameras couldn't take the picture fast enough.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:30 AM   #6

I just bought a Garmin RV GPS from thegpsstore.com. It can be used in regular or RV mode. Has all you asked for I believe. A rear camera can be ordered also for $155 that is wireless to the GPS unit. I found thegpsstore.com to have the best prices and service.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon35 View Post
We like our Garmin RV 760LMT and it seems to cover everything you are looking for.
X's 2 on this model, I bought it and been happy with it so far. The RV model seems not to get you lost as much. I think it has the 7" screen easy to see.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:12 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks Falcon 35

If I remember right, they dont send tickets out until you miss the 3rd toll.

Garman is a good choice , just be sure to get free life time maps and traffic updates. LMT

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:42 AM   #9

I am just old school I just never felt I had a need for a gps yet, when I do its time for the nursing home
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:31 PM   #10

I use a Garmin RV 760LMT. You set your camper dimensions and it will make sure all the roads are designed for it. Especially low bridges with can be a problem around Boston, Ma. IT also has unlimited map updates. They occur 4 time a year.
diagdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #11

Garmin RV gps....ya can't go wrong...
Old 12-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #12

The Garmin RV 760 LMT can be purchased with the backup cam or you can buy it later for about $155. (You save $55 if bought together). Be sure you check the options for Quickest, Shortest, Most Economical as that can make a big difference on road conditions it will take you on as we learned the hard way on Prince Edward Island this summer.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:01 PM   #13

GPS

I have a philosophy regarding GPS of any sort. Be careful.
I have a Garmin based unit in my wife's jeep, which we keep updated. Not sure it is worth the expanse. I also use Waze, and Google Maps on my phone or iPad.
Google maps is supposedly updated daily. Garmin systems are updated when you pay for it. Annually?
I have had the two systems on at the same time as a rule, since the first time I tried to make my way across the Los Angeles basin from almost to San Diego, to Tujunga. It was a good thing I knew which general direction I was going, because the Garmin system in the vehicle tried to send me south, when I knew the proper direction was north.
The simplest caveat applies: Knew where you are going, so that when you get directions that don't make sense, you will check your route.
Yes, I also use a map.
People have been sent off into the desert in winter, or across mountains into snowy closed roads because of their GPS. Or rather, because of their implicit reliance on a fallible system.
Use some thought, Preplan as much as possible. You don't want to find yourself with no turnaround, dragging your huge rig, with your wife and grandkids, in a neighborhood you wouldn't enter with a squad of infantry. Or way off in the back country where you won't be found until spring.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks Falcon 35

We have the transponder for Illinois but now we also have a motorhome. Do we need a different one for that and only register the license number? What if we tow a vehicle?
Digby (Lhasa Apso)
2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
dudleydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #15

I use the it has set up's for RV's and cars Good Sam GPS 7735 LM Powered by Rand McNally. Works great
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #16

The airplanes all fly using Garmin check most airports there is usually a Garmin repair depot.
selkirk awards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #17

Garmin GPS

I have used Garmin GPSs eversince the "Street Pilot" unit in the 90s. Currently, we have the 760 in the car and 3590LM in the TV and both units work just great. Both units came with free updates for life.
Having the "extras" that they provide is worth everything, IE hospitals, police stations, every kind of resturant there is, fuel, rest stops, campgrounds, etc, etc, etc. Way too many options to list. I could NOT do without it, literally.
I check for updates about every 3 months and like I said, they came free for life with the purchase.
Another thing that I like about the 3590LM unit is the extra screen that shows up when you are approaching your exit and any splits in the highway that might be confusing. All my favorites are stored and available at the touch of a button.
Wife's Lexus has a Pioneer GPS unit that is very confusing and will not recalculate if you miss your exit, just takes you around about to the same exit you just missed. Bummer!
Also had a Garmin in my B-55 Baron aircraft. What a great instument.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon35 View Post
I have the same one and it seems slow to update. If I make a wrong turn, it takes more than a minute to update with a new route. That can be frustrating when you know you're going the wrong way and the GPS is taking forever to tell you the correct way to go.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:14 PM   #19

Having read all the posts it sounds like a Crap shoot.. Close your eyes at the store and throw a dart
Old 12-28-2015, 02:20 PM   #20

gps

I have the Good Sam gps from Camping World and love it. It is easy to read and can be programmed with the length of your RV and any towables and it will route you accordingly. On the screen it shows Points of interest such as state parks, all campgrounds and dump stations, flying J, Good Sam, RV repair facilities, wal marts, and other places that can be added such as vets, etc. If you press on a location it will give contact info, hours, etc so we can make reservations on the fly. It will also show all gas stations, restaurants, rest areas, etc. If you pay extra for Wi-Fi connection it will give real time traffic reports and alternate routings.
I attached a piece of foam to the back and mounted it to my steering wheel so it is at my finger tips. I recommend it, it is powered by Rand McNally and costs under 300.00
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015rv2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	96890  
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote