Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2016, 02:56 PM   #1

Angry Need help/advice on satellite hookup

I recently purchased the Pathway X2 satellite dish along with a wireless HDMI transmitter. Everything works perfect when I attach the satellite dish directly to the receiver and then to the HDMI wireless transmitter so I know all of the components work correctly.

My problem is trying to set everything up through the cable input.

My coach has the Movie Vision switch installed over the passenger seat. It supposedly controls output from the TV, cable and satellite connections. I know it works on both digital TV and Cable.

On the back of the switch there are connections for:

- TV In
- Cable In
- Aux/Sat In
- Output to TV

My thought was that I would connect the Aux/Satellite input able directly to the satellite receiver and then use the wireless HDMI transmitter to get the picture and sound to the TV. However I cannot seem to get power from the reveiver to the dish using the cable connection in the electrical compartment.

Any advice or suggestions from others who have already installed a portable satellite dish would be greatly appreciated.

rkulbok
(Ron & Karin)
2015 Georgetown 328TS
Full time since October 2015
rkulbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
toolman_57

The aux cable is from the permanent roof mount. The cable connection in the power cable compartment is the one that is connected to the cable input on the switch box. I connect the Sat dish through the cable connection.
toolman_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #3

Thanks. I will give that a try in the morning.

rkulbok
(Ron & Karin)
2015 Georgetown 328TS
Old 03-12-2016, 03:08 AM   #4

In my unit the coax from the roof had been damaged and the dealership replaced it. Also my on air antenna was wired incorrectly.
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #5

The cable between the satellite receiver and outdoor dish serves two purposes. Power is fed from the receiver to the LNB on the dish and the signal comes to the receiver. So that cable must be "clean" (no filters, splitters, etc). If you connect the dish to the Cable In in the basement, you might disconnect from the cable connection on the switch and run it to the dish in on the receiver. Then receiver out to cable in or sat in on the switch box. Perhaps the remote HDMI from the receiver can be used to a second TV.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:42 PM   #6

I solved the cable/satellite problem by installing an A/B switch (backwards) in the circuit behind the FR installed switchbox. The common of the switch goes to the cable that runs to the rear port, located in the compartment with the electric cord. One side goes to FR's switchbox (cable) while the other (antenna) goes, in my setup, to the power injector for the SWM antenna. If you don't use a SWM antenna, you would hook that cable directly to your satellite box. An A/B switch is a mechanical connector and will pass power through it to the satellite antenna.

The only thing you need to be careful about is switching the A/B switch back to cable BEFORE plugging into a park's cable system. If you forget to do this, you'll be applying voltage that's supposed to go to the dish to the park's cable system which is something you don't want to do.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:13 AM   #7

Tailgater

I Use a dish tailgater antenna for when I am camping where there is a lot of trees covering a clean feed to the south. To solve my problem about feeding the coaxial cable from antenna to receiver I installed another cable to the location of the manufacture's cable feed to the location where I mounted the receiver. Cable in runs through switch which also amplifies OTA antenna signal.

Works great for me.. When not using it I have an in motion antenna that I use mounted on top of motor coach.

Hope this helps.
bmaggin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:13 PM   #8

rkulbok - you are asking my question. I have to figure out how to hook up my dish receiver with my Pathway 2 dish. I don't have to he connections straight in my head that I have just read. I do remember looking at the with box above the Passenger seat in the cabinet. I am sure one of those feeds is from the Sat connection on the roof and the other from the Park cable - thinking I may use park cable as the work around for now - not wanting to permanently mount anything on the roof yet.

Excellent use case for Wireless HDMI - my tv is mid-ship above kitchen sink on passenger side.

Purchasing/picking up 2016 XL 350TS tomorrow.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #9

cmalberto - After getting advice from other board members I simply attached the cable input from the switch, in the overhead passenger compartment, to the satellite input in the reveiver and I am using a wireless HDMI transmitter to get the picture and sound to the TV. So far everything is working fine.

With this set I am limited to having satellite on only 1 TV at a time but, since it is only my wife and I don't think it will be a big issue.

Good luck with you new MH.

rkulbok
(Ron & Karin)
2015 Georgetown 328TS
Old 03-15-2016, 10:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkulbok View Post
cmalberto - After getting advice from other board members I simply attached the cable input from the switch, in the overhead passenger compartment, to the satellite input in the reveiver and I am using a wireless HDMI transmitter to get the picture and sound to the TV. So far everything is working fine.

With this set I am limited to having satellite on only 1 TV at a time but, since it is only my wife and I don't think it will be a big issue.

Check your wireless system to see if it supports multiple receivers. Mine does and I can watch the same show on both televisions at the same time.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:50 AM   #11

I just bought a short piece of 'flat coax', and opened a window, and ran that short piece in that window, and connect directly through that piece from dish to receiver.

I could never make the TT's internal cabling system work at all for a receiver that needed in-wire power, like the SwM module I have.
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkulbok View Post

I think that will be the plan - one TV is and has been fine even though this thing has 5 of them = overkill - but I can always run the receiver to the outside TV manually when needing to tailgate or what-ever we will do outside.

Thanks for the reply.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite