Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #1

Need help installing rear wireless Camera

I have a wireless Backup Monitor and Camera that I want to install in a 1998 Georgetown Motorhome 340.

The Monitor and Camera both need a seperate power supply. The Monitor being up front is easy to do. However, the camera needs to be install outside at the Top/Rear. I would need to drill a 1/2" hole to feed the wires, but I have no ideal where to get a +pos / -neg feed since the insde is all closed up. There is an outlet and overhead light in the closet, should I tap into the closet light.

Heres a Picture of the camera wire lead:

It was suggested to use the trailer lights. Would that mean that the camera would only work when the lights were on.

If I tie in before the closet, would that mean that the camera would be on all the time???????

Any suggestions on how I can get power to this camera w/o having wires show from the outside.

Thank you!
prayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #2

I had one just like that on a 5er I use to own. I hooked it into the running lights on the camper. Anytime you need the camera just turn on the running lights.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #3

I was also thinking of tapping into a running light, but on my Motorhome I noticed when I pulled the front TV out that the front running light are Siliconed in the back as well as the front.

Therefore the back is a different story, there is no way I can access the Running lights from inside.

So how did you find the wires behind the Trailer light?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #4

I was going to replace the camera on our 2004 Georgetown with wireless but learned in the process that there are a lot of other devices that can interpt the signal. I ended up replacing the camera and monitor using the existing wiring. That sais, it does not sound like you have a system now.

I would run a dedicated wire from a 12v source, properly fused, preferably wired through the ignition.

I would consider placing the camera lower. I do not see why they need to be 12' up there. Lower, say just high enough to see over the toad, would give a much better rear view perspective. It would also reduce the area for fishing the wires.

Our new setuo does not have reverse trigger. It is on whenever the key is on.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #5

Right, I do not have an existing set up and I did think about a wired unit, but didn't like the ideal of running a cable insde that would be seen or 40' of cable tucked under the chassis frame, that is why I went wireless.

I could try what you suggested, but again I am stuck trying to find an area where I can thread the camera receiver wires to be hidden.

The most logical spot would be to drill a 3/4" hole near the center rear/top trailer light and some how fish for the wires to splice into.

I'm still open to suggeations.
Thanks!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #6

For the front the camera I had came with a monitor. It had a 12v adaptor plug.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #7

I installed a wireless camera on my Berkshire. I picked up power off the trailer connector. +12 is at the 1:00 position and GND is at the 7:00 position. The connector is hot only when the key is on. Works Great. I did need to run the transmitter inside the coach for the receiver to see it 40 feet away. Put it in a read cubboard. Are you using your monitor with a GPS system or dedicated monitor?
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #8

Why would the camera have to be on the roof?
Old 06-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #9

I'm only using 1 camera that will be mounted at the rear for rear viewing.
That is why I thought to use the top rear trailer light wires..

If I tap into the trailer wires, I still need to find how I can snake a wire between the outside and inside walls all the way up to the camera.
Besides, on the trailer wire, I will be using the 4 prong set up for the Tow Dolly.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #10

Before I start ripping things apart, I like to have a visual game plan on how to do the installation.

The wires on the running light that I want to tap into. Would they have a Pos & Neg wire or would it be just a Pos wire and the negative wire comes down from the frame??????
Old 06-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #11

Should have both pos and neg wires. Will probably be black and green wires.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #12

As the Georgetown body is fiberglass I suspect the running lights should have both plus and Gnd but will only be hot when the running lights are on. I like to have my camera on when I am running to see behind me and watch the toad. What if you sent the wire up the tube if your ladder?
Old 06-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #13

The ladder is a great ideal but I don't know if I can use it.
As you can see in the photo, the yellow and black leads have to be installed inside the body somewhere. On the camera end, those wires have to go inside the body as well to connect to the lead in the photo. You can see that the wireless receiver will not fit in the ladders tube.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #14

If I am not mistaken, but what you have in the picture is the transmitter. Doesn't the yellow and black plug into the camera? The other end hooks to the power supply ( running lights). You should also have a monitor inside that will be power from a 12v (cigarette lighter) source?

Or not, I may be wrong, but that's how mine was hooked up.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #15

Your right on both ends! I gave the wrong terminology.
In the back of my Motorhome, there is a large double door closet with a light, to the left of the closet is 5 draws and an open upper cabinet for a TV.

There is no way I can access the area between the ceiling and roof. Unless I make a square access panel. I don't even know yet, but I'm hoping I will see the top marker light wires.

I even thought to drill a hole from the outside next to the center top marking light all the way through to the inside of the closet, this was I can feed the transmitter wires to the camera outside and let the transmitter rest in the closet. For power, I thought to take the hole made outside and tap into the marking light next to it.

Unfortunately, I will only have power when the parking lights are on.

Right now I do not know of any other areas to draw power from.

Any suggestions. I'm sure im not the only one who installed a wireless camera in a Motor home??? Somebody on this forum must have an idea on where to get power.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #16

Can you use the power from the light for the camera? You would probably need a switch so you don't drain the battery when not in use. You might be able to hide the access panel in that closet.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #17

That's my first option. I'm waiting to see if anybody else has another ideal.