Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #1

Need Peace of Mind

After reading all the issues our GTs have had, we are a bit concerned. Did we make a mistake buying our brand new coach? My wife is having a cow hearing about the issues, especially the roof issues.

I can understand that our coax cables were installed incorrectly, and that the refrigerator inverter was never installed, and a few other little stupid things. However, the roof is a big deal.

I remember, a few years back, we were talking to a gentleman during one of our camp trips, he was an ex Class A salesman, and he said that most off them were built not to last. I'm wondering if that's the case with this brand and we made a mistake.

I was dead set on a Thor, but the wife instantly fell in love with the GT the minute she stepped in. I told her we should look at others, but she said that's the one she wanted (residential fridge, bunks, colors, etc.)
Old 10-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Always Learning

The great thing about forums is that people have a place to turn when the proverbial -ish hits the fan. The problem is, it's a skewed view of the market segment. People rarely come to forums simply to proclaim how wonderful their camper is and, if they do, even less of them stick around. They're busy out playing or life gets in the way. If you look at the yearly sales numbers vs. the number of users on here (with and without issues)- what's the percentage?

It's not to say that there aren't GT's out there with problems. There are (sometimes major). It's a product built by people and there will be inherent screw ups.

But, I'd bet a majority of GT owners are happy with what they have- we just don't hear from them.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #3

My parents have a $500K MH and they have even more issues than we GT owners do. More cool stuff means more that will need repairs. From my research Thor would likely not have been a better choice either. They have their own issues too. Since you are in OH, I'd suggest making an appointment with Steve Strombaugh at FR to get the repairs done at the factory. Mine is down there right now with a list of about 15 items to fix. It's mostly little things, but the hydros and slide adjustments are the big things for me. I've been there once before and they are great at fixing the problems. Steve is a stand up guy and sincerely wants to make owners happy with their purchase.

I've always lived by the rule, it takes a year to get a new RV right and ready to enjoy it. So maybe buying a MH that's a year to two old is the way to go. But that means you are assuming the previous owner went through the pains of first year ownership. I tend to think if they are selling within a year or two, something is not right.
MGOBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #4

True true! We just don't know anything about FR and what their vision is. As a matter of fact, we don't know anything about any other brand. When it comes to cars, motorcycles, or boats I can tell you which is which, but nothing about motorhomes.

The wife is a bit perplexed with the fact that our refrigerator inverter was never included and at the fact that FR still hasn't answered our email. She's harping on me to get it fixed. Thank God I was able to fix the cable issues or I'd be sleeping in the dog house.

Our goal is to keep this coach until our oldest son doesn't want to camp any more, which would be in a bout 10 years. Then get rid of it and get something like the XL. I just hope we don't have any major issues or I'm going to be in trouble.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #5

Somewhere in these forums there's a list of CS reps for the various FR product lines. I have had to contact the CS rep on the Solera line for a minor item and found wonderful response. Sometimes an email gets "lost in the shuffle" but a personal phone call often works wonders. Perhaps EPENDYDAD will know where that list is!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Always Learning

Ha. Yep- and funny enough, I gave it to Al once already in another thread.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post486988
Old 10-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #7

We've owned our 2014 27WP for about 5 months. We've been camping 9 times in it. Everytime out, I make a list of things that need attention and then fix or adjust them at home. Some things are just crummy workmanship. They may be small and insignificant in the overall picture but they prevent full use and enjoyment of certain features. So these things I fix. It's not worth the time to take to the dealer and drop off and pick up and all that. It's poor training of workers, lack of supervision and poor quality control. That's an internal factory problem and it's too bad the factory doesn't address it. Other things are just bad design. I would think someone would try these things out before they build them. Mine is a toy hauler. as a camper it's pretty nice. It looks good, it's comfy, and has plenty of room for what we do. We like it and as we're getting all the little things straightened out, we like it that much more. Who said it takes two years is right about that. But the toy hauler part of it is pretty sad. It's designed poorly, the materials are wrong and tear up too easily, and it just doesn't work very well and in some cases is downright dangerous. I've pulled a cargo trailer as a toy hauler for years as we stayed in hotels and those trailers are built to haul. I think FR oughta send their engineers down to south georgia to learn how to design a hauler. I really like the concept of a camper/hauler and it really makes for a great time camping but I can see that this trailer is not gonna hold up long with all the loading and unloading and general packing that a hauler requires. I've already spent nearly $1000 trying to build this into a safe and proper hauler. It's getting better (thanks to me) but I oughta be able to send FR an invoice for my engineering and fabrication time and materials. I'm not angry and this is not a rant. I'm disappointed that the design quality wasn't better, but I was a rookie when I bought it but the next time I'll know what to look for.
BeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Ha. Yep- and funny enough, I gave it to Al once already in another thread.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post486988
Yes, thanks I already have it printed out. I was hoping to hear via email, but I'm going to have to call.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #9

Great link ependydad! Thanks! Hope I don't need to use the information LOL!!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #10

I can tell you first hand, we're new to the Class A game as well. We purchased a 2013 351DS this summer. I've gone through the highs and lows just as it sounds like you and your wife are. I, too, catch the same proverbial crap from my wife. From one end of the spectrum, we've all paid good money for our coaches. On the other hand, as Ependy stated above, it's made by people... and they do make mistakes. I've worked with April at FR and she's been phenomenal! Just give her a call and she'll get back to you. With it being the end of the season, she might be a bit swamped so give her a little latitude. I agree that there are some quality issues and things to be addressed by FR, however... I'm learning to just take things in stride. ;-)

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #11

Knock on wood and in all fairness when DW and I purchased our 2011 330TS used with 4036 miles on it last year it was exactly 1 year old to the day from the original owners purchase date. First owners drove it off the dealer lot straight to Florida. They did not do any warranty repair work on it while there. Owners called the dealer, they wanted to trade in to a Thor 40ft. DP. Made the deal over the phone, DP ordered while they drove back to WNY. So conversely we had a boat load of issues to take care of during the 30 day used warranty or repair before we buy. After an initial incident that they did not replace all bubbled hydraulic lines (thanks forest river forum!) as promised before purchase and a meeting with the dealership owner, we worked closely with the service manager to get all our issues resolved. Now I feel good about my Georgetown whenever we take her out to play.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #12

Just search this forum for posts from me, bought my coach new in 2009, my saga is all here. My wife was less than happy the first year or so, she is just glad that I can fix things myself. We have come to expect a thing or two to break each trip. She now loves the coach and is looking forward to a future upgrade (I hope a few years, but who knows with all the fancy wood grain they have now)....most likely a FR as well, as they did come thru when I asked for specific things.
gmcnitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #13

I felt the same way after we bought our 2012 337xl. Frankly, if I had read the threads prior to the purchase I likely would not have bought one. Funny thing, anyone can view the FR posts, but when I go into Tiffin, I cannot read the posts concerning the Allegro.
I visited the factory this past summer. I have a new appreciation now that I have seen how they do it. After the coach is completed it goes to quality control and they stick little pieces of tape on everything that needs fixed.
I saw a new coach just back from QC and there were dozens of stickers all over, inside and out. They spend a lot of time inspecting and fixing, sure they miss stuff that we owners catch. Most of the issues I have encountered are labor related. QC should be addressed on the floor. Anyone who has worked in a manufacturing environment like me knows how difficult that can be. When the body is assembled there are about 20 technicians in the RV at one time.
I have had my RV for 1 year, have used it about 100 days and 30,000 miles. It has not been in a shop. Although I have had to tighten fittings, and fixed small things. I understand that FR contracts local individual dealerships. If I got no response like something like a converter missing, I would likely sit in the owner's office until one was on the way.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #14

we purchased our 2012 378XL in May of 2012 and we have had a couple minor issues FR and my dealer have stepped up to the plate and fixed these issues. Recently I had an issue and I am out of warranty, however after contacting FR (Steve) he set me up with a dealer and is fixing this other issue we have. FR I believe tries to make things right for the customer, Since I was out of warranty I offered to cover the labor if they would provide the part, and Steve had no part of it. He is covering everything. My opinion that is Customer Service and willingness to step up to the plate. We love the motorhome and have done several improvements (mods). I am a firm believer that you selling dealer makes your experience. Mine has been great and willing to do what is necessary, even though I am 1500 miles away from them. Before anyone buys makes sure the dealer is going to be there after the sale....
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote