Old 12-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #11
I like those floorplans as well. Some manufacturers do have alternate seating plans which they don't often detail on their floor plans drawings well. I just wish there were more bunk options out there for those of us with younger kids. Oh well, i have at least 5years to shop for a new one

Ron Hanson
2009 Georgetown 350TS (bunks)
400W solar, 440AH 6V GC2
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #12
2009 GTA350 TSSE Diesel

My observation of 30% better mileage is ONLY based on comparison with the V10 Class C I just traded up from (which had the light truck version of the Triton). It got 7.5-8 on the highway (I checked mileage on every tank) unless I was towing the boat (4,200 lb.), which cost 1 mpg. It also didn't like to go much over 55-60; not the engine but the general feel of stability and noise level.

My FRED averaged 9.8 mpg on my trip from NC to ID, driving 65-75 into a daunting headwind for all but the last 300 miles. That comes out to exactly 30% better.

So, I know for a fact that *I* have seen a 30% improvement over my last rig but I have no idea how it would stack up against the same coach and chassis with the RV version of the Triton.

At the end of the day, for me, the mileage is really irrelevant and certainly no justification for choosing the diesel because, driving it about 5K mi/yr like we do, it will only save about $300/yr in fuel, so it would take 32 years to recover the cost difference between the Cummins and the V10. I'm just pleased that I have a larger motorhome that gets better mileage than what I was getting before with a smaller one.

Interacsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
CLASS "A" Senior Member
Gordan, I really have to commend you on your descriptions and over-all postings. I feel you provided a 100% better evaluation of the coach then any magazine (coach experts) write in their columns. Most importantly I know it's coming from a fellow Motorhome owner not someone that spend an hour walking around it. Great job and thanks for the great read, Charlie

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #14
Gas vs.. Diesel.. I read and read... ran #s on the costs over and over... and here is where I landed....

- Diesels are expensive and have more maintenance, BUT they typically get a little better mileage (a lot depends on how you drive) and for some uses, ONLY a diesel will do the job. Good luck going a million miles on a V10 Triton hauling a 50 foot trailer.

- Larger gas engines can do the job for most Class A RVs. Most don't drive more than 10,000 miles a year and we run them hard for a few days, then shut them down for a week or two. Not like a semi that runs and runs and runs.....

So I went with gas... BUT (and this is a BIG one) YOU must buy what YOU are qualified to run / are comfortable with.

You talk to enough folks and you find "gas people" driving diesels that have no business dealing with air brakes or jake brakes and can't understand why they would pay so much for an oil change, so they delay/skip them.

You also find "diesel folks" driving gas rigs and they are doing crazy shifts, trying to "hold their speed" while not burning up the brakes and are scared stupid while the RPMs go higher and higher.

Congrats on the new rig! It looks sweet!

(Also it doesn't surprise me that folks don't know about Georgetown diesels. Georgetown has built a reputation for gas rigs and most folks will assume you are wrong if you talk about a Georgetown diesel)

TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote