Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #1

New 2019 GT5 36b5 delivery *Ugly*

Well our coach came in earlier this week that we ordered from the factory. Dealer called and scheduled our walk thru for March 29th. I was surprised it was going to take that long and asked why as I had planned on doing somethings to it during the cold month of March to have things ready for hitting the sites in April. She said it came in a mess and with a few things missing. I went to see it yesterday, and yeah, what a mess. First off the carelessness of a huge scratch on the door of the fridge, huge scratch on living area TV screen, scratches all over the counter top. There were missing day shades, cracked plastic trims pieces, sinks not caulked, dirty stains on valences.. the list is two full pages. Now I went into buying a coach with eyes wide open. I understand these are all hand built ( I did a factory tour with the rep while ours was being built) and expected some problems here and there. But to see absolute carelessness and damage like that is kind of hard to accept. And when I see some of the work I just ask myself, when did pride in craftsmanship disappear? I guess they hurry to make sure those 8 units go out each day. Now I know the dealer will get things cleaned up but to have to wait for replacement parts from pure carelessness does not sit that well.
2019 Georgetown GT5 36B5 towing a 2019 Equinox 4 down
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."
EddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

Wow, that's tough. And just not right. An all too often occurrence nowadays unfrotunately. Good luck with it.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Pride and craftsmanship went out the door when they get paid by the piece and if they hurry can be done work by noon.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:17 AM   #4

The scratches alone should have kept that at the factory. Almost seems some of that was done on purpose? Disgruntled employees?
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #5
Site Team

Not defending anyone, but many times warranty parts for other units are shipped inside new units to save shipping costs. It is possible that the scratches were the result of a large replacement part being shipped in the unit.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:05 AM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

As an side to your post.. I am not sure why people are not more willing to walk. I am sure I was like you,waiting weeks / months for our camper.. But th were not getting my 30k until I was happy regardless of the 3 hr drive. This garbage comes out because of lack of quality control and the fact that people just blindly take the garbage to avoid needing to drive back to the dealership... Which they will probably need to do anyway to get "timely" repairs as your local dealer may not be willing to work with you if you did not buy from them.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #7

EddieJ
Make your FR concerns directly to the man who oversee Georgetown

Kevin Stratton
Class A Manager
574-206-7611
kstratton@forestriverinc.com
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Not defending anyone, but many times warranty parts for other units are shipped inside new units to save shipping costs. It is possible that the scratches were the result of a large replacement part being shipped in the unit.
And it must have been bouncing around like a ball to hit the fridge/front TV/counter top.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
And it must have been bouncing around like a ball to hit the fridge/front TV/counter top.
There were no parts shipped in this coach.

It's obvious to me that the dealer is relied on for QA. My dealer is local (20 minutes away) and they really went thru it and created this list. Now I can stop by all I want to run thru systems even before the actual walk through and delivery. In the end, as long as things are cleaned up and all major systems are solid I will be happy. I don't mind the delay as it's still winter here and doesn't really warm up till mid-April most years. I was still shocked to see a 100,000+ dollar item delivered in this shape.

At this point I am confident the factory/dealer will make this right. I don't expect perfection, just like when I had my home built there were many cosmetic issues. Just as long as everything is remedied in a timely manner.

The obvious carelessness is what shocked me. Plain sight major gouges on surfaces that should have been protected is what strikes me.
"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."
Old 03-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJ View Post
There were no parts shipped in this coach.

It's obvious to me that the dealer is relied on for QA. My dealer is local (20 minutes away) and they really went thru it and created this list. Now I can stop by all I want to run thru systems even before the actual walk through and delivery. In the end, as long as things are cleaned up and all major systems are solid I will be happy. I don't mind the delay as it's still winter here and doesn't really warm up till mid-April most years. I was still shocked to see a 100,000+ dollar item delivered in this shape.

At this point I am confident the factory/dealer will make this right. I don't expect perfection, just like when I had my home built there were many cosmetic issues. Just as long as everything is remedied in a timely manner.

The obvious carelessness is what shocked me. Plain sight major gouges on surfaces that should have been protected is what strikes me.
Hey, my post was meant to be a facetious input to a previous post. I'm with you on this one.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #11
Road Warrior

Not surprising at all considering what an employee told my wife a few weeks ago on the phone when she was complaining about poorly attached trim pieces, he told her " what do you expect, we have very high employee turnover and these are unskilled laborers doing the work"

2015 Fleetwood Expedition Pusher
Towing a VW Beetle Convertible
mikedawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:46 PM   #12

With all that is wrong visibly, what about hidden flaws like water line leaks and electrical problems. I would walk and wait for a better looking trailer.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:10 PM   #13

Wow. What a shame. One almost wonders if it is a certain crew, certain people, or what. I agree though that modern manufacturing techniques do not lend themselves to care and quality. We toured the Winnebago factory years ago and each person on the line had a the minimum amount of time to complete their step. If it didn't go well . . oh well. That's what dealers are for apparently.
2018 Chevy Spark
Formerly - 2007 Itasca Navion (Sold and gone)
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
With all that is wrong visibly, what about hidden flaws like water line leaks and electrical problems. I would walk and wait for a better looking trailer.

I would agree with Big Vic. With all this basic cosmetic damage that they let it leave the factory with, what do you think it looks like underneath and behind the walls where they know you can't see. Scary. I realize its hard to walk away so you'll need to have full confidence in your dealer.

These manufacturers will not change unless us consumers kick back and cause them pain and profit. Good luck.

SB 4x4 6.7L Cummins
Pullrite SuperGlide
2015 Palomino Columbus 320RS
ICanFixIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:25 PM   #15

I'm with Izzy. Photos and list to the head of GeoTown and FR with good word for the dealer who obviously cares a lot. There is no excuse for a unit that expensive leaving the factory in that condition.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICanFixIt View Post
I would agree with Big Vic. With all this basic cosmetic damage that they let it leave the factory with, what do you think it looks like underneath and behind the walls where they know you can't see. Scary. I realize its hard to walk away so you'll need to have full confidence in your dealer.

These manufacturers will not change unless us consumers kick back and cause them pain and profit. Good luck.
If this was a factory order there was probably a large, non-refundable deposit involved. It might be hard to leave that on the table and also hard to get out of the deal for cosmetic things.
2018 Chevy Spark
Formerly - 2007 Itasca Navion (Sold and gone)
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICanFixIt View Post

At this point it's just cosmetic stuff. They have time to clean it up and replace the damaged items. I guarantee you don't want to see in between the walls of almost any motor-home LOL!! Well maybe the ForeTravels and Prevosts , but all others are most likely scary at that point. You can read about Tiffins and Newmars with the same hidden "short cuts".. I do agree with you though, if it looks like this on the visible places what about the hidden places. I will be there checking out more of the major systems. I can even stay the night in it and run it through it's paces before the final walk thru / delivery if I like. The dealer is very accommodating being a smaller family run place. So far the communication from both the dealer and Georgetown has been good. Just stand behind your product and make it right is all I ask.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. October View Post
Wow. What a shame. One almost wonders if it is a certain crew, certain people, or what. I agree though that modern manufacturing techniques do not lend themselves to care and quality. We toured the Winnebago factory years ago and each person on the line had a the minimum amount of time to complete their step. If it didn't go well . . oh well. That's what dealers are for apparently.
Yup, the dealer is the QA step in the chain obviously.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:50 PM   #19
Enjoying Life

Just wondering off the top of my head;
Is this the one you ordered or is it a Trade show/ RV show refugee? How is the mileage?
Depending on the time frame could this have actually been used by someone else?
Just thinking out loud.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
Just wondering off the top of my head;
Is this the one you ordered or is it a Trade show/ RV show refugee? How is the mileage?
Depending on the time frame could this have actually been used by someone else?
Just thinking out loud.
Brand new order. Even went to the factory to see it being built. Mileage is just the miles from factory to dealer ..