Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2015, 01:24 AM   #1

New front speaker & wiring questions

Hi helpful friends!
We are planning on installing 2 front speakers above the passenger and driver seats and are thinking we should be able to run the wires behind or towards the back of the dash underneath, and run them up the front columns, which I believe come off.
Anyone have any experience with removing them? There seems to be an opening at the top at the back of th cabinet, so we are hoping our idea works...

I spent about 30 minutes searching and a few mentions were made, usually about the wiring for the front shade being back there but no specifics on removal. Maybe it's easier than I am thinking? Would prefer not to break them while trying to figure it out....!

The new 2015 have speakers installed exactly where we are thinking of putting them, but who knows where the wires are.....!
Thanks in advance
Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:54 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

The route for wiring changes between models and years. No one should assume that their scenario works for everyone.

That being said, I did run part of the wiring for my satellite radio antennae to the top of the front columns, and down the length you are describing. My wiring gauge was extremely small, so I didn't actually remove the plastic coverings, but rather just pressed my wiring in behind the edges of the trim. Then, again because my wiring gauge was so small, I ran it along the seam between the dash and sidewall and dropped down to finishing the route under the dash to the center console. I never really investigated in detail as to whether wiring from inside the column passes through the corner of the dash and underneath the dash to wherever. Remember, it is probably safe to say that there are wires for the overhead dash fans, and power blinds if your rig is so equipped, inside the columns so be careful not to damage them in your project.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAndGarren View Post
Hi helpful friends!

We are planning on installing 2 front speakers above the passenger and driver seats and are thinking we should be able to run the wires behind or towards the back of the dash underneath, and run them up the front columns, which I believe come off.

Anyone have any experience with removing them? There seems to be an opening at the top at the back of th cabinet, so we are hoping our idea works...

I spent about 30 minutes searching and a few mentions were made, usually about the wiring for the front shade being back there but no specifics on removal. Maybe it's easier than I am thinking? Would prefer not to break them while trying to figure it out....!

The new 2015 have speakers installed exactly where we are thinking of putting them, but who knows where the wires are.....!

Thanks in advance

Garren

Can you post a pic of the exact location you are thinking of mounting speakers? We have overhead bunk so wandered if it would interfere. I have thought about placing two 6.5" coaxials lower maybe like kick panel style. Still thinking though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-18-2015, 10:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABoy View Post
Can you post a pic of the exact location you are thinking of mounting speakers? We have overhead bunk so wandered if it would interfere.
Here's a pic from a 2015 351DS. I also have the 2014 with the front bunk and was looking at this the other day. There is a shelf on each side of the bunk, directly in front of that you likely have a small square that is just wood, like it should be a cabinet but it's not. That is where Forest River put the new speakers.

In the new 2015's, these two front speakers are powered by the dash stereo unit. The surround sound speakers are powered by a new stereo unit placed over the entry door. There is some debate as to what the subwoofer is really attached to.

There was another thread, can't remember who the author was, had mentioned they replaced their dash unit with a model that had separate sound zones (like an A\B switch commonly found on a home stereo). They then added new speakers up front and were able to then alternate between the zones. Sounds like a nice setup to me!

Let us know what you come up with.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_351DS_8.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	71647  
Old 03-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #5

Sorry, the picture turned on me. Try again....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_351DS_8.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	71648  
Old 03-18-2015, 01:06 PM   #6

Tom, that is exactly where we are looking......
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
Old 03-19-2015, 06:42 PM   #7

Any know anything about removing those panels in the windshield corners to feed wires through the channel?
Edgar & Carlos (felines)

Tags
wiring