Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2019, 09:43 PM   #1

New Koni Shocks

Hey guys. need some help with new shocks ? Appreciate any help, in advance.

I ordered the FSD Koni shocks, I am puzzled that all the shocks are collapsed? All the shocks I have ever installed have a strap to help hold the shocks, in order to install them, then cut the strap off when the installation is done? If these are collapsed how will they hold the weight of the Chassis up , and keep the chassis from setting on the leaf springs? Do you extend them to make them work properly, or are these just bad shocks?

Thank for the help
Cheers David
Old 11-04-2019, 09:45 PM   #2

The ones that are strapped have a gas leak inside them. This was s supposed to help stop the oil from foaming when they are being used hard.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:49 PM   #3

Sorry did not make it clear. the new ones are collapsed already? These do not have the straps on them as other brands normally do? New shocks normally have so much pressure that you need to use a jack to push them in? I am confused as to how they will help with the ride with no pressure, well little bit? I can push the rods in and pull them out, Unless there is some magic trick I do not know about? How will they hold anything up?
Old 11-04-2019, 10:07 PM   #4

I got an answer from Koni. these are OK. If Admin wants to close this thread?Please do so.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #5

What was the reply from Joni, also once installed please give your impression. I have my 360 XL out having them installed as we speak.
Bill m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #6
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORKLIFMAN View Post
I got an answer from Koni. these are OK. If Admin wants to close this thread?Please do so.
Yup, that's a big difference with the FSD's compared to regular ones. When I added them to our motorhome we noticed about a 50% reduction in sway and hitting bridge joints was no longer teeth-jarring. My OEM Sachs shocks only had a thousand miles on them so they were not worn out.

Usually the leaf springs provide the lift and the shocks provide damping. If your chassis is dropping too low then your leaf springs may be weak or need helpers.

Ray
Old 11-05-2019, 05:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
The ones that are strapped have a gas leak inside them. This was s supposed to help stop the oil from foaming when they are being used hard.
Should say gas charge, not leak
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill m View Post
What was the reply from Joni, also once installed please give your impression. I have my 360 XL out having them installed as we speak.
I just returned from 6,500 mile trip and they were waiting for me, I had ordered the shocks (so I would have them on for this trip) and they were put on back order. Next few days I am going for it, and put them on. I have the air tools to do it with.....Some of those roads are horrible! So I am looking forward to next trip with these on the rig!!! I put on Michelin tires before the trip, and very pleased I pulled the trigger on that!

here was the last response I received from IT, department, Mason O'Hara at Koni, via email

""The shocks job, whether or not it carries gas or not, is not to carry weight or support the coach by raising the ride height. But rather it controls motion. The coaches weight and ride height is determined by the air bags pressure, leaf-springs, or in some cases coil springs (rare in RV applications). Some shocks by design, like monotube shock absorbers for instance, carry a high pressure gas charge as without it the shock could not function, though even in a monotube shock the damper is not intentionally being used to raise or support the vehicles ride height. That is not what a shock does. A common misunderstanding. Using KONI shocks will not lower your ride height. We do not carry a dust covers for the 8805 1019 shock, it was intentionally left off for clearance reasons and uses a reinforced guide seal/wiper ring to clean the piston rod each time it travels in and out of the inner working cylinder.""
Old 11-05-2019, 06:39 PM   #9

Thanks for the response, I am looking forward to trying them out myself.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:38 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
Thanks for the response, I am looking forward to trying them out myself.
Today we drove through a local industrial park. Previously the Garmin RV 785 would give a couple of warnings that an "event" occurred. When an "event" occurs, the built-in webcam automatically stores 1.5 minutes before and after "the event". In other words, the jarring was so intense that the RV 785 thought a crash may have occurred.

The drive on the same road today with the Koni FSDs was far, far different. Even though the bad places in the road have not been repaired there was no jarring, no banging, no "event" alerts, nothing bad ride-wise. The positive change is very impressive.

242" wheelbase and 22,000 lb GVWR.

Ray
Old 11-05-2019, 08:37 PM   #11

Bill
Keep us posted as I am considering those shocks for my Georgetown

Thanks in advance!

2020 Chevy Equinox Silver sled
seasure1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #12

Picked up the coach this morning drove it 50 miles, over bridges and in construction areas. Remarkable difference over the bilsteins, which were under a year old.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:23 PM   #13

FYI, shocks don’t hold up the chassis, they control the axle movement. And as you found out different types of shocks offer different types of rides.

Glad they are working out for you. My 2012 with Sumos all around and Konis rides like a 20k lb Cadillac!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:44 PM   #14
NXR

Quote:
Picked up the coach this morning drove it 50 miles, over bridges and in construction areas. Remarkable difference over the bilsteins, which were under a year old.
That was a positive remarkable difference, right?

As an aside, one of my managers used to listen to blathering people and then remark "I am very impressed by that ________." (pause)

"Just not favorably impressed."

Ray
Old 11-14-2019, 03:18 PM   #15

Yes positive, purposefully drove it over a long bridge with several expansion plates, the dolphin effect was not there. Previously I had Front sumos which helped with the side to side as well as a steering stabilizer which assisted with steering control.
These however worked to reduce the bounce.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:55 PM   #16

I went two years before installing KONI shocks. The only reason I did was for my wife.

I ordered them from Amazon & received the front Koni 8805 1018 Front Shock for Ford F53/F10 pair in September 2019. (now out of stock)

The Koni 8805 1019 Rear Shock for Ford F53/F10 was out of stock at the time.

I had a local Tire shop install the front shocks & we did two trips with the front shocks installed. The shocks did a better job of slowing down the rebound from potholes.

I felt I could do better so I ordered the Front & Rear SumoSprings for my 2017 18,000 lb F53:
  1. SSF-170-40-2 | SumoSprings Front for Ford F-53
  2. SSR-187-40-1 | SumoSprings Rear for Ford F-53

I only was able to install them after winterizing in October. After on a test drive, I felt like the combo of the KONI & SumoSprings made for a better ride. I did notice that the rear with SumoSprings & OEM shocks bounced more than the front.

My wife did think there was an improvement.

My 2nd Koni 8805 1019 Rear Shock arrived yesterday. I will install them in the spring when I de-winterize.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote