Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #1

New laminate wood floor

Been looking at laminate floor for a little bit and I finally will get this done this Thursday.

I looked at pictures of new RV's and found some with wood all over even where the driver and passengers sit and some have carpet in that area. I don't like carpet at all in that area because it get's dirty very quickly so I want to put laminate everywhere.

Is it legal/okay to have wood where the driver and passenger are and have a carpet mat under my feet? Are there special rules?

Thanks,
E
Old 08-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #2

have seen a few Diesel pushers with tile up to the pedals right from the factory.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
marialee-Berkshire410qs

Could You please post pictures when you finish? Did you have all carpet or did you have some tile also? I have tile and hate it!! Would rather have laminate.
marialee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #4

Yes I saw those too.

I have tile and carpet. Sure, I will post all new pictures.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

I, for one, would like to see how you handled the slides.
I worry the slides would scratch the floor.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #6

That was my number one worry also that's why I went with an 8 millimeter instead of 12 and when we looked at it it looks like there's plenty of clearance about 1/4 inch. so we have to test before we actually lay it down.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #7

I installed stuff called Allure by Trafficmaster sold by Home Depot, it come in 2 styles, tiles or wood imitation, its 100 percent waterproof, very thin and extremely hard, its been installed 3 years now and the slide roll on it all the time whitout any damages to the surface, we use the motorhome all year around and we don't stay in place more than a week at a time.
I will be doing the room next week.
jako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #8

Jako Can you send me pictures please or post them also how thick was the wood laminate 8 mm? How did you handle the slide out top Did you around the edge that the carpet covers now?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #9

Motorhome is in storage right now, i'll go to it saterday and will post pictures.
It's about 4 mm tick That alouded me to install it under the slide without any problems.I was able with an exacto to cut the carpet about an inch under the slide and I glued the first inch so the slide would not move it.
jako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #10

I put down Trafficmaster in an old bounder several years ago. The pics can be seen at Bounder Motorhome - a set on Flickr It is much easier than any type of wood flooring and it looks nearly as good.

DSC00560

Ron Johnson
rjohnso3a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #11

Well it took all weekend, but it looks outstanding. No issues with the slideouts what so ever. We had plenty of clearance, but I took the extra precaution of reaching out to my RV mechanic and Forrest River. At First Forrest River mentioned that we may have to re-adjust the main slide out to allow for clearance, but left it up to us to test first. After many tests we simply did not find any clearance issue and at the end all agreed that the number one issue that people had with laminate/wood floor was that stuff get's stuck when you pull in the slideout and then it scratched the floor. The solution was simply brilliant(from Forrest River) and costs about $8. Get a 12 foot by 1 1/2 foot piece of carpet and put it upside down when you are bringing in the slide out and let it slide with the slideout to push anything in the way out of the way. It end up under the slide out, but that's okay as it prevents anything else from sliding in and since we cut it to size it's not in the way.

Here are the pictures. What do you think?
RV Laminate Floor - a set on Flickr
Old 09-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #12
Always Learning

E-man, here's one of your pictures. Looks great!

Old 09-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #13
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Very nice. Now I know what it would look like when I decide to do mine.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #14

Thanks, ependydad it not sure why my attach image didn't work. What's the trick to attach an image? It asks for a URL and I paste the flicker url, but it doesn't display, just a broken picture.

Trying it again here

Thanks cfsoistman
Old 09-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #15

Okay inserting an image works from the iphone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4189680382.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	39166   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2915130399.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	39167   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2449609482.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	39168   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-780521870.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	39169  
Old 09-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #16

Great job!
How was the flooring attached? Glue? Nails?
Did you have any other option on the plastic edge piece that I see on the slid?

Could you have used a strip of wood that is normally used between carpet and tile?

It looks like the slide doesn't drop down into place flush anymore. I see a lip between the slide and the inside floor.

Thanks

PS
They have teflon strips you can attach under the slide from the outside at 3 or 4 places that will reduce scratching the floor.

Or you can buy a set of these slickers and may be a little better.
Slide-Out Slicker Protectors

More on RV Slickers
http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-h...eout-slickers/
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #17

That is nice!!
buddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-man View Post
Thanks, ependydad it not sure why my attach image didn't work. What's the trick to attach an image? It asks for a URL and I paste the flicker url, but it doesn't display, just a broken picture.

Trying it again here

Thanks cfsoistman
The difference is what you are pointing the "IMG" thing at. In the case of what you provided which is the web page address of the page that contains the image:
http : //www.flickr.com/photos/18477118@N06/9663767523/

Versus the URL of the image itself:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2808/9...2a194593ab.jpg

Click on both of them and compare the differences. You'll see the first one takes you to the full flickr "web page" where the second one only shows you the image.

Flickr tries to be helpful with this "share" icon at the bottom of the black image box area:

Name:   Flickr - Share Image.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  20.1 KB

You're supposed to be able to click that and then choose "HTML BBCode" as the share type and it gives you a fully shareable block to copy and paste:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flickr - Share Image 2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	39181

Which gives us the hilarity that ensues when a little man thinks he's big "stuff":

Standing! by dougsetzer, on Flickr
Old 09-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #19

Thanks Iggy, but I had the crew that did my house do this one. It was not as expensive as I thought and they do a far better job than I ever could. They used Glue on all the edges only, believe it or not the entire middle is just held together by interlocking everything together and it's solid.

The big discussion was around the slide out edge. After much discussion the crew decided to use "reducers" on the slide out edge and the base going out towards the slideout which when added together made for a very nice transition and linked everything together. They kept the plastic covering that was exposed when we removed the carpet and fully extended the slide out. They wanted to allow access to the slideout screws should we need to remove or access the screws that were there.

The results was a better look which allowed us functional access to the slide out for repairs.

You know the slide was never flush, the carpet hid the fact that it had a 2 inch gap that made it look like it was flush. When we added the furniture it looks great as that part was not a walking part as well. I'll post a new picture of the new furniture added as we went big on this one....
Old 09-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #20

Oh thank you, that clears it up...

I'll give it a try...