Old 09-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #1

New Member with problem already

Just joined here and was planning on settling in with my just purchased RV before joining but it started leaking as soon as i traveled in rain so looking for advice already.
Its 2012 Georgetown 327DS W/22k miles

Water is coming down from the valance type roofing material located in front of the shade roller. I want to pull the it out so i can see in the roof where it is leaking. I'positive its not the windshield so has to be the roof

My problem is i don't know how to get to whatever is holding it in place. it has snap type screws next to the windshield that holds the front which i pulled out and its loose but back toward the shade roller its attached somehow and i can find any screws or figure out how to get it loose.

Any input would be helpful as its raining hard and my RV is turning into a hot tub.

Thanks,
Rick

Member1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #2

Its hard for me to visualize. Might be difficult for other members as well. A pic speaks a thousand words.

If it's still raining getting a tarp over it, one way or another, so you can prevent further damage and deal with it later.

Skip12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:55 PM   #3

Not sure on yours. On my 12 350TS I have cabinets above the windshield with the shade behind that. Are you talking about the filler between he shade and front cap?

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:02 PM   #4

I'm new to forums so need to learn how to upload a pic. Advice welcomed.

Its the filler between the shade roller and the windshield.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:14 PM   #5

its the piece with the fan attached to it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	215062  
Old 09-15-2019, 07:33 PM   #6

I have a GT 329DS 2017. Had a similar leak caused by poor job of caulking the roof seam drivers side. Water was coming down the inside behind the valence. Grabbed a tube of roof caulking and reapplied another coating over the roof seam and problem solved Good luck.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:43 PM   #7
PPST Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richpaa View Post
I have a GT 329DS 2017. Had a similar leak caused by poor job of caulking the roof seam drivers side. Water was coming down the inside behind the valence. Grabbed a tube of roof caulking and reapplied another coating over the roof seam and problem solved Good luck.
X2

Go up on the roof.....bet youíre going to see the caulking along the roof seam is weathered and needs re-caulking. Going up from inside is going to be messy.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:37 PM   #8

I looked it over on the outside and cant fine any obvious unsealed joints, cracks or holes. I was hoping to find the exact spot of penetration from the inside so that I could pinpoint the spot to caulk on the outside but cant get the valance off to locate it.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:38 AM   #9

With water, the bad spots aren't usually right where the leak is.... they migrate. You may wind up doing a whole joint.
Probably not what you wanted to hear, but...

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #10
Site Team

Try a hair dryer on cool. Hold it at an angle to the seam and move it along the seam. Many times it will blow a small amount of water out from under the caulk at the damaged spot.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Try a hair dryer on cool. Hold it at an angle to the seam and move it along the seam. Many times it will blow a small amount of water out from under the caulk at the damaged spot.
Thats a good idea/option to use.
thx,
Rick
Old 09-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #12

Had the same problem on my 2014 and turned out to be the small round running lights above the windshield were installed upside down and had the air hole on top. Just got some clear windshield sealer and covered the holes. This was after the dealer had tried to fix 3 times.

2015 Charleston 430RB
Billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:59 PM   #13

I would check the entire roof! There are a lot of places vulnerable to leaks ! The ac units can let condensation in also. I believe it could run down the entire roof but there may be something up there that stops it but water will go where water will go! Good Luck! Sorry you have this so soon! I had a leak coming in my passenger fan. Mine is a 2017 364TS but they resealed the caulk on the roof and it stopped. Mine was new when that happened on first trip.
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:15 PM   #14

Maybe use Eternabond

You could use a piece of Eternabond tape across your front seam.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HCYRQZX...sms_tai_OS.FDb
menekaunee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:50 PM   #15

Check the caulking up on the roof. Don't just look at it, get your fingernails or a scraper and see if it's adhered to the roof. Also look around your radio antennae and the TV antennae, other trouble spots.
I thought my caulking around the bathroom skylight was all good until I pulled it all off in 2 or 3 pieces. There was nothing stuck to the roof or the skylight.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 37 days
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:09 PM   #16

Lots of good advice and making a checklist using all the recommendations above but I still have a valance that I don't know how to remove. i know the insulation is soaked in most of where i can get my fingers up behind so i feel the valance really has to be removed so i can dry it out and get a better look of where the water may be coming in. I guess i can remove the shade roller and just keep working my way back hoping to revel the mounts or screws holding the valance in. I'm hoping i don't have to remove the cabinets.