Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #1

New owner of a 2013 georgetown xl 360.... r first motor home..

Towing information wanted.... We have a Cadillac...don't want to tow it...2012 Kia optima hybrid....which has to be towed by a dolly...so what should I look for in a dolly.... have own 5 th wheels.....so know nothing about motor homes and towing a car.....any information will help....where do I starts......
kymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #2

You have started in a good place already.

Anyway one guy at my work has one like this.
Says it is good.

Tow-It 2 by Demco
Old 11-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymoon View Post
Towing information wanted.... We have a Cadillac...don't want to tow it...2012 Kia optima hybrid....which has to be towed by a dolly...so what should I look for in a dolly.... have own 5 th wheels.....so know nothing about motor homes and towing a car.....any information will help....where do I starts......

Look on your local Craigslist and you can usually find a used one a few times between $950 and $1,200
The question is look at the new ones locally and see the good ones that you like then check Craigslist.
Many people use them for a short time and then sell because it becomes major work to hookup and disconnect.
Mine is hook up and place in neutral and go.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4201.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	42249  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #4

What ever you get Demco, one of these
Home
(we sold ours on Craigslist)
or something on Craigslist.

CHECK the tire pressure before you take it!

This one looks like a good one in Dallas on craigslist, $900.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4153017380.htmlhttp://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4153017380.html

NOTE: there is a huge price/quality difference on craigslist 1K for junk or $800 for almost new.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymoon View Post
I have a 2014 Georgetown XL 377 and bought an Eze tow dolly. It has it's own hydraulic disc brakes that work great and the dolly only weighs 500 lbs with a tongue weight of 50 lbs. We have pulled a Honda CR-V and Civic and a Kia Sorento without any problems. Just be sure the straps are own right and tight. Just completed a 2,000 + mile trip into the Smokey mountains and across Tenn. on our return to Texas. I made one modification to hook up safety chains between the dolly and car for a quick and easy hookup. The Georgetown XL is an awesome RV with a lot of amenities that more expensive RV's have. Hope you enjoy your RV as much as we do.
rparker3040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #6

Take a look at this one on my local Craigslist for $600 and 1 year old tires.
Demco Kar Kaddy
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #7

That Stelh Tow looks just like my Master Tow. They are very well constructed. I have had mine for three years and tow a Ford Focus.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #8

Yep... I have a Master Tow. It works well enough for me! MASTER TOW INC. :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #9

I want to thank everyone for there input....I was thinking of buying tow dolly for my husband for Christmas.....but....not real sure if I know what to buy.....the hitch on motor home I think is 5000 lbs....his Kia is 4500...the dolly weight can't be more than 500 .... Am I right ?...does the tongue weight have to do with anything? i"m thinking this is something he should buy......
kymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #10

Yes, tongue weight has to do with it (and they smarter ones on the board will reply because that's still a gray area for me!) However, on the Master Tow site, they come in two sizes and I believe I just got the "larger of the two. Just in case I switch vehicles or the likes. They're around 500 lbs however easy to roll since they're on wheels. It has a handle on the front, by the tongue, to push and pull it around by hand. Determining Trailer Tongue Weight | etrailer.com

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote