Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #1

NEW RV'er Seeking Advice/Suggestions (2015 FR GT 350XL)

Hello everyone,

I am taking delivery this week of our very first motorhome, which is a 2015 Forest River Georgetown 350XL bunkhouse that we ordered from the factory via Camping World, which just arrived. My family (wife, 2 kids (7 year old boy & 3 year old girl) and I are super excited, but my head is spinning with all the information I have been trying to process about my coach and this new hobby/lifestyle.

I have really enjoyed reading all the great tips posted on this Forum and was requesting any and all advice and suggestions that will help me begin this excited new adventure. Tips regarding how to upgrade my coach, questions for the dealer RE: delivery, travel destinations, warranties, driving, etc. I am trying absorb everything.

Thanks!
cswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #2

Congratulations on the new Coach I love that floor plan.

You might want to look into two sets of headphones for the bunk beds.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These work great and they allow each bunk to watch what they want, plus you have an extra headset for each bunk in case they mysteriously break as electronics do with kids.

It would also be a good idea to figure out how to connect the Bunk Bed Skyworth TV's to the 12v inverter that the Refrigerator uses, so the bunks will have tv, without having to run the Generator.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #3

cswartz,

Does the Camping World have facilities where you can spend a night in the Coach at or near their facility when you first get it? That is a great opportunity to touch and move everything that you might not get to do during the Delivery walk through.

Also, you might want to video the walk through if you are not familiar with the workings of the coach so you can review them later, and DON"T BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the person performing your walkthrough can't answer a queston, have them find someone that can.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #4

Nice to have and essentials

Congrats on the new coach. There are LOTS of things you can do BUT there are some things I called essentials that are (IMO) GOTTA dos.

We bought the 351DS last month after owning a larger TT. Did as you have done - read - read - read.

Here is my list of GOTTAs:

1. Air compressor
2. If necessary add valve stem extensions to make air pressure a non-event.
3. Small tool kit with adjustable wrench, pliers, vise grips, screwdrivers (battery powered) and velcro.
4. Tire pressure monitoring system
5. Surge protector.
6. Access to this forum.

Not sure of your experience level but these are the must haves for us.

Remember the time to make sure it works, is before you take delivery!! The most extensive checklist I've seen is here RV Inspection Checklist.

We've taken a camera to our two deliveries. Some of the stuff you just won't understand or remember. Take pictures and videos with self-narration.

Also - come back here and ask questions. The membership here is terrific. Have seen very little "flaming" and that's good. So come back here search, read, ask as you need.

Remember - have fun.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #5

If you have never driven a motorhome or large truck, the following is worth a look.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...J9XZ6gswifZWGa

There are several videos here that are pretty helpful.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswartz View Post
Hello everyone,

I am taking delivery this week of our very first motorhome, which is a 2015 Forest River Georgetown 350XL bunkhouse that we ordered from the factory via Camping World, which just arrived. My family (wife, 2 kids (7 year old boy & 3 year old girl) and I are super excited, but my head is spinning with all the information I have been trying to process about my coach and this new hobby/lifestyle.

I have really enjoyed reading all the great tips posted on this Forum and was requesting any and all advice and suggestions that will help me begin this excited new adventure. Tips regarding how to upgrade my coach, questions for the dealer RE: delivery, travel destinations, warranties, driving, etc. I am trying absorb everything.

Thanks!
Welcome to the forums CSWartz! AND - welcome to the RV Lifestyle!!

While some have mentioned goodies you may want to purchase for your new RV, the #1 overriding MOST IMPORTANT task ahead is your Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI)

I cannot over emphasize the importance of this! No matter how reliable your dealer is, you want to absolutely positively make sure everything is in working order on your new RV.

There is a file in the forums that is a good PDI checklist: Forest River Forums - Downloads - PDI Checklist

In addition, I am attaching a PDI checklist from my files as well. please take a look at this and by all means, call camping World and tell them that you have a extensive PDI checklist you want to go over with them BEFORE you accept delivery this week. The PDI can easily take several hours and is the single area you should never skimp on! (We have a very good dealer and our PDI took 6 hours for a 5th wheel - yours may take as much or more shince you are purchasing a motorhome)

best of luck and feel free to ask away if you have any questions!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PDIList.pdf (75.0 KB, 81 views)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #7

As Bama said - Delivery is the BIGGEST deal. Once you take delivery, what is between you and the road is next. Tires inflated and checked is a large safety issue. Trying to find an air pump is mission impossible. Gotta have a way to make sure.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:52 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for your great tips and I will definitely make sure to bring those PDI checklists with me. I met my tech today who will be doing my alk though and he has been doing it many years at that location. He was very cool and it was awesome to see my rig today with all the televisions and lights on, with the slides out. It is going to be awesome!! I am glad I have this forum to lean on for guidance and assistance. I appreciate it.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:28 AM   #9

I feel the excitement - we are fairly new to this ourselves. BUT - remember you are buying what we refer to as our 2nd home on wheels. Just like when you bought your home, you will do a through walk through and some sort of a "punch list". Same deal here made.

Glad you got a knowledgeable tech, we got a pleasant young man. But when he didn't know that the steering wheel tilted or that the bunk bed ladder was in the storage area, I woke up a bit.

Enjoy - and head out as soon as possible.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
As Bama said - Delivery is the BIGGEST deal. Once you take delivery, what is between you and the road is next. Tires inflated and checked is a large safety issue. Trying to find an air pump is mission impossible. Gotta have a way to make sure.
Good Point BigBen! Not just FINDING a place to air your tires, but finding a place you can get your rig,TOAD, and whatever in to can be a challenge. MUCH easier to pull into a rest area and get this toy out of the basement...

$150 well spent - this is a good thing to keep around the rig for all sorts of tasks (not only does it air up tires, but is is a handy tool to blow out lines for winterizing, power air tools, and occasionally goose the dog with a shot of compressed air )

Amazon.com: PORTER-CABLE C2002-WK Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor with 13-Piece Accessory Kit: Home Improvement
Old 11-18-2014, 09:53 AM   #11

cswartz another hint. And I am sorry for not stressing this earlier. Get a surge protection unit. If you ever want use shore power (50 amp service), you are risking a power surge that can fry all that new fancy stuff in your coach. I took my Progressive built-in unit with me to delivery and it was installed as a part of the delivery. It is not complicated to install but Camping World will have all the right tools. Some will tell you, they don't have a protector and never had a problem. My thought was for $300 +-, I could make sure that my $100k vacation home was protected.

PS: I have had the surge unit kick out and back on because of a surge twice now in 45 days glamping.

Footnote: I bought this unit http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-In.../dp/B0050EH0FE. I use Amazon Prime so quick delivery and easy returns.

bama is spot on with his Porter Cable unit. I bought the same sort of unit - I just liked the enclosed look. Here is a link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #12

Quote:
I feel the excitement - <SNIP>

Enjoy - and head out as soon as possible.
BigBen makes another good point here....

When we took delivery of our rig, our dealer recommended if at all possible that we conclude our PDI by "packing up and going camping" ...right next door at the adjacent KOA that our dealer owned

This worked really well! We finished our PDI in the afternoon, prepped our rig for the road (under the tech's watchful eye) and drove off to camp (all of 1/8th a mile down the road tothe KOA )

Spending the first night in the rig immediately AFTER the PDI & walkthrough reinforced all the info that had been thrown at us AND provided a very nice "lifeline" should we need it. We spent the evening futzing with all the stuff on our rig, cooking dinner in our new kitchen, and having a great "getting to know you" experience with our new RV.

The next morning, a tech from the dealer came by our site at @ 0830 and checked in with us. We had some minor issues which he fixed on the spot and one major issue that was fixed at the shop before we headed home with our new 5er.

Hopefully a similar venu will be available to you (some Camping Worlds have adjacent RV Camps)

Best of luck &
Old 11-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #13

Yep - spend a night in the unit. RUN EVERYTHING. Furnace, AC, Stove, Oven, TV switch units, levelers, yadda, yadda, yadda. Layout all the manuals and make that your home work. Make you a bet, you'll not be able to operate something. Too much stuff to be able to remember it all during the PDI.

One of the great things about many of the Camping World sites - they have full hookup sites - on site. We are positive many have these 'cause we will pull in and stay with Camping World when just needing an overnighter.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #14

Quote:
cswartz another hint. And I am sorry for not stressing this earlier. Get a surge protection unit. If you ever want use shore power (50 amp service), you are risking a power surge that can fry all that new fancy stuff in your coach. I took my Progressive built-in unit with me to delivery and it was installed as a part of the delivery. It is not complicated to install but Camping World will have all the right tools. Some will tell you, they don't have a protector and never had a problem. My thought was for $300 +-, I could make sure that my $100k vacation home was protected.

PS: I have had the surge unit kick out and back on because of a surge twice now in 45 days glamping.

Footnote: I bought this unit http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-In.../dp/B0050EH0FE. I use Amazon Prime so quick delivery and easy returns.
X2 BigBen

The three most important things a new RV'er needs:

1. Power Management System:
http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-In...agement+50+amp

(If you become a Good Sam member, Camping World has a special installation deal - $25 or something like that - worth the cost of membership and Good Same has GREAT rates on RV insurance to boot!)

2. Water Pressure Regulator:
Amazon.com: Camco 40064 Brass Water Pressure Regulator with Gauge: Automotive

3. Rhinoflex Sewer System:
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-39761-Rh...hinoflex+sewer

You will buy dozens of other items and gadgets but these three items will:
*save you thousands in blown electricial systems (and yep, BigBen is right I have hit no less than 4 camps this year with flaky power!)

* Save you bunches on blowen water systems (overpressure water can blow out your plumbing and cost you a bundle! ) And, YES, I have hit a couple camps this year with measured water pressure at 70PSI!

* do you REALLY want your sewer hose to fail? Don't skimp here! Rhinoflex is the industry standard - anything else (including the freebie Camping World is liable to give you!) is flirting with a disaster you do NOT want happening to you! Ask me sometime how I personally know this...
Old 11-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #15

Welcome cswartz and congrats on the new Georgetown.
You are here and asking the right questions and I'm sure you will get lots.

All I can suggest is....
1. Have someone video tape your walk around when they are showing how things work. Ask questions like how do change this or open this, or what if it stops working while camping.

2. Go to You Tube and watch all the videos on how to safely drive a motorhome. Very helpful for beginners.
It is not a car or a truck you must always remember that.
Know how high your rig is and wide.

See the Motorhome Drivers Confidence videos here.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...J9XZ6gswifZWGa

Make sure they installed tire valve extensions so you can easily check tire pressure.

Oh make sure they fill up the gas tank and full propane tank.
Also verify they filled the tires to specs as it is posted on the wall behind drivers seat. Probably 90 psi

Good luck
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #16

Spot on Iggy. cswartz - is this beginning to sound like a broken record? Take your time with the PDI - tendency is to get through it and begin enjoying BUT don't rush. Unless the dealer is going to drive the unit, check your own air pressure yourself. You will soon figure out why valve extensions and compressors are a BIG deal.

But remember enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:23 PM   #17

You've gotten lots of great advice, so I'll just say welcome and enjoy the family time with your kids. It doesn't get any better than this. You will find the nicest people out there that share the passion and are always willing to help...especially newbies, as we all were.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #18

Thanks Iggy, BigBen, HSVBamaBob, Gasman94, ChrisBailey13 & Bend302 for your tips and product links. You guys are proving 100% that RVing is a community of wonderful people. Camping World is installing my surge protector and I will be ordering the other items you recommended on Amazon. My PDI is in the next few days...so I I'll be ready. Thanks again.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #19

No thanks needed - but it is great to hear. Don't get overwhelmed by all of this - learn and enjoy your great home on wheels.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:50 PM   #20

Oklahoma get cold as I recall! Be sure your PDI walks you through how to winterize...specifically low point drains location...water heater bypass valve locations...and hot water tank anode/drain location.
All good luck and welcome to the "family"!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags