Old 08-30-2016, 10:24 AM   #1

New Tires

This topic seems to be an on going conversation on this and other forums so I thought I would chime in more factually. So after being a nay sayer on the adage of replacing tires every seven years on a motor home since we've bought our first rig nine years ago, I changed out all six of my cracked crappy Michelin XRV's 235/80 22.5 last week for six Sumitomo 245/75 22.5. Total cost $2200.88 installed and taxes. Michelin was going to give me a 45% good will credit off of the retail price of $469/$490 since the DOT date was 2010. That would of saved me at most $150 from the price of the Sumitomo's because I would've been taxed on the full amount. Also I would have to wait for Michelin to get a check out to for the rebated amount. I figured since these expensive tires failed to begin with, why the heck should I reward Michelin with more of my business and went with the Sumitomo's, who recently announced a $30 million dollar expansion to their Buffalo, NY former Dunlop Plant. After a weekend get away staying local and putting just under a hundred miles on the new tires I can say I like the ride better than the Michelins. There does not seem to be as much "tire" bounce going over familiar bad roads. My guess is the new rubber has stiffer sidewalls than the Michelins. The old cracked tires caused concern in the backing of my mind on recent trips to Michigan and Lake Placid. I wasn't excited about dropping $2200 but now can drive worry free.

sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:48 AM   #2

How old were your Michelins?

Old 08-30-2016, 11:15 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Comparing old tires to brand new is not a good scientific comparison. But if you are happy with the ride and handling of the new tires than all is good.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:10 AM   #4

26th week of 2010 with just over 18,000 miles on them. I originally contacted Michelin about any compensation because they have recalls on truck and light truck tires and asked if that included RV tires. Tireman, I think the comparison is very valid because there was only 18K on them with only 2/32 of used tread. Yes, when replacing tires on your daily driver and you put new rubber on after maybe 50K miles on the replaced tires with little tread left, your new tires are always going to feel great compared to old pair. But though six years old the Michelins should of still acted like new. And I still don't accept their story that the tires sit too much and that is why they crack. A friend has a 1988 Winnebago with 26K miles on it with the original rubber. No cracks or sign of fatigue. My brother has a 1977 Glastron boat and trailer with the original tires on the trailer. No problems there either. At today's price of $469/$490 per tire, Michelin should've been able to have a better product then what they produced in the past. Again, that's why I would not reward them with my hard earned money!
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires