Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2018, 06:11 PM   #1

New (to me) 2012 Georgetown 329DS

I just bought my new (to me) 2012 Georgetown 329DS in the Niagara Falls area and drove it about 900+ miles back home to the Minneapolis area last weekend with my daughter. We cut from Niagra Falls through Ontario to Port Huron (slept in a Walmart parking lot there), drove up through Michigan across Mackinaw and then crossed through the U.P. of MI and Wisconsin to get home. Even with clouds and rain the whole way, the fall colors were incredible...especially on the northern shore of Lake Michigan (it was dark through Ontario...so it's possible that was nice too). The weather sucked, but it was still a fun little journey.

Here's a Dropbox link to the dealer pics (click here)...I'll need to add some of my own on some of the specifics.

Here are some highlights and initial thoughts on the RV:

Positives:
* Mechanically in great condition with only 8,500 miles. Oil/Fluids in engine & generator so clean I almost couldn't see it on the dipsticks. Both run terrific. All other mechanicals like new (although the LP tank has minor spot rust).
* Drives a lot better and smoother than I expected, even with no adjustments to the suspension...and this was in terrible weather last weekend with 20+mph headwinds and rain. It handled well enough for my 17 year-old daughter to drive it across the Mackinaw Bridge in high winds (not without some drama). I will still probably do the Cheap Handling Fix eventually.
* Interior and exterior in mostly very good condition with only a few scratches/scuffs/etc.
* Dealer installed brand new Cooper Roadmaster tires that seemed to roll nicely.
* We like the overhead front bunk in the 329DS (I think this was the first model to have it)...although the mattress in both it and the bedroom could use some additional padding. My daughter can sleep on anything and thought the bunk mattress was too soft and thin. I'm not so sure about the couch air mattress and we haven't used it yet.

Negatives:
* Don't like the bottom-hinge storage doors. Even if they are more convenient than top hinge, they can get bent if you allow them to slam downward. I know why Forest River only used them 1 or 2 years...because they suck. I might have to modify somehow. I would love to retrofit slam latch side-hinge doors if the price isn't out of hand.
* The Ford OEM one-piece cockpit is slightly askew where is connects to the FR built dashboard and it bugs me. Even though it's solid as a rock, I might eventually try to adjust the cockpit to even it out.
* The seller must have removed the gas strut over the entry door and installed a plastic arm/connector strap behind the door (which I don't like much). I will be re-installing a gas strut.
* Had a tire pressure issue (caused by my checking it) about 2-hours away from home when the valve core got stuck open...and of course I didn't have any way to re-inflate. That will be the last time that happens as I will be getting a portable compressor. Looking this Superflow MG-89 compressor (click link).
* Passenger chair is so close to the wall/window that I don't think it will turn all the way around to face the living area (I might need to check more on this). This leaves more space to enter/exit the chair next to the doghouse, but it would be nice if it could turn around completely.
* My big body exploded the flimsy folding cup holders on both the driver and passenger sides in the first day. I already ordered two more and they are cheap...but I probably should have ordered 10 more because they are super flimsy.

We are storing the RV outside in a mini-storage complex with 20-amp electric access now because it's darn near impossible to find reasonably priced indoor storage near the city in this area. I need to decide if I'm going to spend $500-$600 on a cover and leave it outside (which I can access freely) or find a private party with a big storage building for the winter (in which case I probably can't access it until Spring).

That's all for now. Thanks for everyone posting on this forum and to KenandTerry who gave me some personal advice on the Georgetown. I've learned a ton just from reading from all the posts!
Chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:25 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Congrats Chuck. I was starting to wonder how things turned out.

I remember we talked about the door gas strut, so now you see it up close.

IF, and I said IF the dealer photos are of your rig, and not just some photos they had in inventory, then you know the passenger seat can turn around into the living room at least at 45 degrees. All the Georgetown models have different tricks for the seats.

Stay in touch.

Enjoy

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Congrats Chuck. I was starting to wonder how things turned out.

I remember we talked about the door gas strut, so now you see it up close.

IF, and I said IF the dealer photos are of your rig, and not just some photos they had in inventory, then you know the passenger seat can turn around into the living room at least at 45 degrees. All the Georgetown models have different tricks for the seats.

Stay in touch.

Enjoy
LOL. I didn't even pay attention to that photo the rotated passenger seat! Yeah, that's our rig. We must have adjusted the seat on our trip so that it was difficult to rotate. I'll need play around with it the next time in it to see what position it takes to rotate. We only tried for a minute on the trip.
Chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, georgetown