Old 12-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #1

New to me 2012 GT 327DS.. 1st forum question

Hi All!

I have just purchased a used GT, as described in the Subject at 7500 miles on the clock. Got it from my dealer, who originally sold it to the 1st owner, who traded up. It is in excellent condition. It has the following factory options, plus 1st owner installed goodies.

Full body paint; 2nd front 32" tv, 19" bedroom tv, arctic pack, fantastic fan, King dome in-motion satellite; pwr front sun visor; side vision cameras, auto xfer sw; HT sound system; driver side console panel with auto leveling; remote heated side view mirrors; outside shower; 13.5kbtu rear a/c; aux. battery.

My question is... What are the logical next step upgrades to make using the 327DS better? My thinking has been along the lines of adding better aftermarket tank monitoring system, like the SeeLevel II 714 and a better coach battery management system and a better monitoring system. Your thoughts here are appreciated?

I also have to get the DISH compatible Sat receivers. The coach is wired in coax, the newest 211 model does not have a coax out, so my thinking is to rewire with HDMI cables in the coach(assuming the Toshiba TVs have HDMI inputs, need to verify) and then get 2 of the latest version of the 211 receivers for allowing some independent channel selection. OR... would you folks just recommend getting 2 of the refurb'ed older 211's that have coax outputs and be done with it?

Are there any MUST DO's that are known weak points in systems reliability? I've been reading a lot of the threads here, some about slides/jacks problems, walls detaching and so forth. My dealer has an excellent service department, so I can have them do just about anything.... plus, I have a 5 yr platinum extended warranty program from them.

Sorry about the long first post here but any and all advice will be welcome and appreciated!

CheckSix, aka new to GT's

Old 12-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Tire pressure monitoring system. About $300 and it could save you thousands and provide safety/peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 12-28-2014, 01:54 PM   #3

Welcome to the family!
As soon as you can you need to hook it up and use it to see if all systems are working properly. Start opening all areas and see what and where everything is located.
Check all your engine fluids and change oil and filter if it is black in color.
As Trepert mentioned buying a tire monitoring system is worth it. I and other have them and I like to know what 's going on with the tires all the time. I have over 35,000 miles on my 2012 Georgetown and won't leave home without it.
TST RV507 model with flow thru valve stems and replaceable batteries.

Also being in Illinois you need to come to the 2015 Forest River Owners Group (FROG) rally in Goshen Indiana. I think it is in August and you will find and talk to many owners and even get some things checked out by the factory guys.
They sometime give free replacement of broken or damaged stuff even if you are 2nd owner. Worth the trip if you can make it.

Good luck and stay warm till spring.

Iggy

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #4

Thanks Iggy and Trempert!

TPMS sounds like a great idea! I'll definitely do that.

This 327DS of mine is fully serviced, new oil and filter, Genet serviced, went through PDI like it was new and was cleaned inside and out. No obvious or known issues were found.

How about the existing tank monitoring? Everybody okay with it?

And I've heard that the battery management system is single stage and can benefit from a better aftermarket multi-stage management system. Thoughts?

Anyone have suggestions on how to re-engage the satellite system as I described in my post above? Rewire with HDMI and use the new receivers? or get the older coax output receivers?

Many thanks!
CheckSix
Old 12-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #5
Tim & Lisa Trempert

I have had no issues with the factory monitoring system after 4 seasons. I'm sticking with it. As far as the charger, I was almost convinced I needed a 3 stage until I found out it's impossible to overcharge good batteries. If your batteries are "overcharging" it's because they have an internal short. I replaced both house batteries about 3 years ago and have had zero problems since using the factory installed charger. Just check water levels a few times a year unless they are sealed units.

Enjoy your RV! It is a ton of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 12-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #6

If your unit doesn't already have one, you should get a surge protector for your shore line. I assume you have a 50AMP power cord. It can either be portable (hooked directly to the campground's power box), or hardwired to your cord in the utility bay. It will save you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in repair/replacement expenses in those parks that have issues with electricity.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarmcafe View Post
If your unit doesn't already have one, you should get a surge protector for your shore line. I assume you have a 50AMP power cord. It can either be portable (hooked directly to the campground's power box), or hardwired to your cord in the utility bay. It will save you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in repair/replacement expenses in those parks that have issues with electricity.
Yes, it is 50A.

I was using a Hughes Autoformer 30A unit in my previous Class C but now need to sell that and I was thinking of getting the Hughes 50A AF.

Any thoughts on that? or is there something better.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #8

Installing a good power management system will save you in the long run.
I bought the Progressive Industries Electrical Management System model EMS-LCHW50 from Camping World for $255. May be higher now.

It checks a lot of things before it supplies power to your electrical system.
Here is a few pictures and a link to the website
EMS-LCHW50C

Here is a link to Camping World Page for this model.
Surge Protector with Voltage Protection, Hardwired 50-amp - Progressive EMS-LCHW50 - Surge Protectors - Camping World
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new 004.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	382.7 KB
ID:	67939   Click image for larger version

Name:	new 007.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	67940  

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:38 AM   #9

I would leave the tank monitoring alone unless you find it not working correctly.
I would not upgrade battery or monitoring system UNLESS the plan is to do a lot of boondocking. Plugged in...the house batteries don't need a lot of attention other than water and a good 3 stage charger with an EQ cycle if possiblle.
If you DO plan a bunch of boondockig then get your existing batts tested (or test yourself NOT while attached to the coach and not until you wait 24 hours)...REPLACE AS NEEDED with 2 of the largest size 12V batts you can fit OR 4 6V batteries. Then get a Victron or Trimetric real monitoring system so you know where you stand at all times when off the grid.
I second the TPMS and Progressive 50Amp surge protector ideas.
We added a steering stabilizer to our coach for blowout safety and "quieter" steering but would suggest you wait on that until you know how your coach drives and what you need.
Good luck &enjoy!

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags