Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #1

New to motorhomes

Should be picking up our new 377ts on Sat. Never driven one or owned before but I feel this should be a good transition from 5er and tt, might need a lot of help from this group, so all the help that may need will come. Just wandering what I should look at when we do pdi.

kdcamper

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
kdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #2

Lots of advice posted in the forum - but the best I can give you - IF IT AIN'T FIXED - DON'T TAKE DELIVERY!! I'd tell the sales staff that is the deal up front.

AND - Nice unit. You'll love it.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Take a video camera or use the app from your cell phone.

There's a ton of info and you'll need to review your intro, because you'll have questions for awhile.

Nice rig..........enjoy.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #4

Welcome and you will love the MH and this site is a wealth of information. When posting any questions it always helps to include all information as possible and you will get the help. Driving the MH is way different from any other combination. You will need to look farther forward and you will feel the wind more. Look into doing the CHF (cheap handling fix) just search this forum and you will understand. It helps in the sway by stiffing (loading) the anti sway bar, Remember a great dealer is key to your happiness. A bad dealer will keep you from enjoying the experience.

Safe Travels and se you down the road
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #5

Thanks for info, we seem to always have pretty good dealers in all of purchases, this will be our 3rd FF product since 2011 not sure how much the walk thru will be that much dif. than our 5er or TT but I will be a lot more intuitive than ever before, really not sure what the CHP does

Old 12-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #6

CHP? Do you mean CHF?
Old 12-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #7

We have had a TT and two 5ers, a Motorhome is a lot different. It is easier to setup and tea down, but things are done different. When doing your walk thru act like this is the first walk thru you have ever done.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:23 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
I also went from a 5er and should have done a better job pdi. Lots of things are the same but lots are different. If I were doing it again I would make them show how and that everything works before I gave them the cheque. This site and the phone number for Forest River service in Elkhart were a big help. I would make sure that that they give you the number for Forest River Georgetown warranty, if something goes wrong while your on the road they can find someone to look after you.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #9

Never thought about having FF info along with us when we hit the road in mid Feb. thanks for that I will make sure I get it. I think our dealer thinks I must be nuts cause I inquired a lot over the last couple weeks already so I know that I will be asking a lot of questions about the unit, our deal is pending a test drive even before we go through with it, but he insures me that it won't be a problem, and yes I meant CHF not CHP. Sure would like t know more about that, is their video anywhere to watch on this mod.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #10

Cheap Handling Fix (CHF)

kdcamper - nice choice. Before I shoot you the CHF info - let me say it again - Fight the urge to go and ensure the dealer does his thing. As I learned and as I've advise spend $300 and buy a hardwired surge protector. I bought the Progressive Industry EMS-LCHW50. You've purchased a great house on wheels - spend another $300 to make sure flaky or fluctuating power at a campground doesn't fry your great gizmos. I'll also bet if you take it with you to walk through they'll install for free.

One more recommendation. Spend another $250 and protect one of the most important systems on your new home - tires. When I was pulling my TT I was constantly checking and worrying about my tire pressure - but I wasn't riding on them. After I began driving my home, I kept thinking having visions of blowouts while driving 70 mph down a busy interstate. I bought TST 507RV Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System. No more blowout nightmares.

Now the simple question you asked about CHF. To boil it out, it simply acts to stiffen the torsion bars that generally control the side to side movement of your home. As I've come to understand, the chassis comes setup for general use and at the outside of the two holes of the torsion bar holes. The CHF simply shortens and consequential stiffens these torsion bars and thus reduces the side to side sway. Your new home won't seem to wander so much. Anyway there is LOT on this but this link comes with pics.

Cheap Handling Fix - Page 3 - iRV2 Forums

There are also some new driver videos and lots of tips. Forty years ago I drove a military heavy equipment transport (big a.. tractor/flat bed) but I'd forgotten one of the best tips. Don't drive looking at the immediate front of your coach - drive looking down the road a bit. Really stops the fidgeting.

Sorry for the elongate response but as you can tell I feel very strongly about the tire and electrical adders. Spending about $550 to protect your home and family is cheap.

Enjoy - we do!!!
Old 12-09-2014, 09:17 PM   #11

kdcamper, the 377 xl is the model that I'm looking at. I'm soooooooo jealous! Please keep posting, with pics of course!
Xact1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #12

Thanks for the info I'm not sure why anybody would go without the tvss protection, I even have one on our house to protect all the electronics. I seem to have trained myself to look down the road further I think it helps when you drive motorcycles and snowmobiles to see further down the road to prevent accidents, I will check out the CHF, not sure about the tpms as the one I have on my truck drives me nuts with the large temp drops we have in Canada.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:52 PM   #13

Just wandering what to expect for fuel mileage, I know that everybody drives differently.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #14

We pull a 2013 Ford Explorer and I try to stay around 2600 rpms that equates to about 65MPH. I average between 7 - 9.5 mpg. Planning number for us is 8 mpg. So far have not been disappointed. You may get much bigger reported numbers but that is realistic.

The CHF is great. Not sure about your mechanical background but it is fairly straightforward.

Also, didn't mean to write a thesis just wanted to share.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #15

I did not think it was a thesis, I thought it has lots of info, need as much as I can, as for the last 25 years we have always pulled 5ers and tt. So sending, thanks.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:51 AM   #16

kdcamper - have fun. Went from TT to Class A - love it.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
kdcamper - nice choice. Before I shoot you the CHF info - let me say it again - Fight the urge to go and ensure the dealer does his thing. As I learned and as I've advise spend $300 and buy a hardwired surge protector. I bought the Progressive Industry EMS-LCHW50. You've purchased a great house on wheels - spend another $300 to make sure flaky or fluctuating power at a campground doesn't fry your great gizmos. I'll also bet if you take it with you to walk through they'll install for free.

One more recommendation. Spend another $250 and protect one of the most important systems on your new home - tires. When I was pulling my TT I was constantly checking and worrying about my tire pressure - but I wasn't riding on them. After I began driving my home, I kept thinking having visions of blowouts while driving 70 mph down a busy interstate. I bought TST 507RV Tire Pressure & Temperature Monitoring System. No more blowout nightmares.

Now the simple question you asked about CHF. To boil it out, it simply acts to stiffen the torsion bars that generally control the side to side movement of your home. As I've come to understand, the chassis comes setup for general use and at the outside of the two holes of the torsion bar holes. The CHF simply shortens and consequential stiffens these torsion bars and thus reduces the side to side sway. Your new home won't seem to wander so much. Anyway there is LOT on this but this link comes with pics.

Cheap Handling Fix - Page 3 - iRV2 Forums

There are also some new driver videos and lots of tips. Forty years ago I drove a military heavy equipment transport (big a.. tractor/flat bed) but I'd forgotten one of the best tips. Don't drive looking at the immediate front of your coach - drive looking down the road a bit. Really stops the fidgeting.

Sorry for the elongate response but as you can tell I feel very strongly about the tire and electrical adders. Spending about $550 to protect your home and family is cheap.

Enjoy - we do!!!
I fully agree with both suggestions !! Life/camper savers. Sure would be nice if those were "standard" options. Very important stuff.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #18

X2 on wishing they were standard options

&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #19

bigben were did you purchase your tpms from

Old 12-11-2014, 05:51 AM   #20

kdcamper - we bought them from a little company called Great RV Products. The owner is a RVer and works very well with you. So when you email or call the company you get the owner.

I bought the TST 507RV model.

Here is the link: TST 507RV TPMS INFO

PS: Not sure of his pricing but he will meet any online price that you find.

Tags
motorhome