Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #1

New to the forum and the Georgetown

I hope ya'll have some pointers for me. Just closed the deal today on a new Georgetown 360XL with the new house type refrigerator, ceramic tile and 24,000 chassis. I love the ice in the door refrigerator and the fact it will run on battery going down the road.

I have no clue about owning a motorhome. Is there a place to learn how to do things that need to be done? I have been reading this forum for a year about how alot of you fix things, sometimes, alot of things! I do not even know how to empty a tank or turn on a generator! Hopefully when it is delivered, they will show me. I think I need a crash course, any help on where I can go learn?

It is going to be delivered in a week or so. Excited, but apprehensive at the same time. Think I will spend a few nights in the driveway first!

All help appreciated!
carolinasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Congrats on your purchase..........early Christmas gift?

You mention it's going to be delivered. Whenever, and wherever that is, make sure to have a clipboard and pen handy for the PDI (Pre-delivery inspection) They should go over all the appliances and switches for the various components of an RV. Make sure they show you where all the water shut-off and bypass valves are. (Bypass valves are used for winterizing your unit) Don't be afraid to ask questions. Make drawings in your notes. Make sure you understand what works if/when you are plugged into electricty, what works on battery, and what works from the propane. Anything that is powered from a standard electrical outlet like at home will NOT work when you're travelling down the road. Most of your lights will. Water can work from an onboard supply (using the onboard pump) or from the city supplied connection.

Any questions at all...........post them here. There's always someone willing to help. Pictures included help better.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #3

My two cents... Get a laser alignment and replace the internal dually valve stem extensions with long valve stems

I purchased my 2013 350ds and it drove decent but the steering wheel was off about 25 degrees. Took it to a Bridgeway dealer and had them perform an alignment and straighten the steering wheel. Turns out it was way out go align. the tech showed me the report and said it was not uncommon as they are not aligned after production. Only two of the 8? Alignment specs were within ford tolerance. He also informed me that had I driven it that way, the front tires would not have made it passed 10k miles

Regarding the valve stem extensions, I know they are a common source of leaks. I was also having trouble getting a gauge on the outside dually valve stem. Talked to a truck tire dealer and had them put new valve stems on that are accessible with the wheel covers on and an extra long stem on the inside dually so an extension is not required . The dealer balanced the wheel as well.

It now drives amazing. Tracks perfect and handles significantly better. I can check all 6 tire pressures quickly with a typical truck tire pressure gauge.

Hope that helps. Perhaps you can get the dealer to cover some of the costs. I paid $500 for the alignment and to square the rear axle. $225 for new valve stems on all 6 tires and balancing.

Good luck and congrats on the new mh

Steve
ifrpilot99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #4

Thank You!

Such great responses! Already things I did not think of! That is why I am scared to death!
I am taking it for the first overnight to my parents Christmas Eve. What will I need to plug into their outlets, or can it even be plugged in to a 110?

Does the plug come with the purchase of a new motorhome? Sigh, this is mind boggling!

Will call tomorrow and ask them to put valve stems on. I ordered an oven because I love to cook. But the more I think about it. the dealer in installing it, if not done right, there are gas lines that could leak or be a problem. I am thinking now to just get another Traeger Grill as it runs electric and I can cook anything on the traeger I can put in the oven.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 12-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinasgirl View Post
Such great responses! Already things I did not think of! That is why I am scared to death!
I am taking it for the first overnight to my parents Christmas Eve. What will I need to plug into their outlets, or can it even be plugged in to a 110?

Does the plug come with the purchase of a new motorhome? Sigh, this is mind boggling!

Will call tomorrow and ask them to put valve stems on. I ordered an oven because I love to cook. But the more I think about it. the dealer in installing it, if not done right, there are gas lines that could leak or be a problem. I am thinking now to just get another Traeger Grill as it runs electric and I can cook anything on the traeger I can put in the oven.

Thanks again for the help!
We bought a Georgetown as our first RV too. So from our experience I would say plan to spend several HOURS going over every detail. Be ready to take notes, have your camera / video ready. Do not just "hear" about ever system, but actually run each and every bit of equipment - from the microwave and tvs to the stove and each and every faucet. Go through each system - from one end to the other. The water system for example - where do you put the water in if it's going in the tank? Where do you put the water in if you are sitting at a location and are hooked up to the hose? When do you run the pump. When are you able to turn on the water heater? When do you drain the water heater and why do you pull the annode?

If you are somewhat handy already then some of this will be quite understandable and logical. If you have never done anything like a home repair before, plan more time!

The electrical system is important to really understand. When are you using batteries when must you either be plugged in or using the generator?

The waste system is honestly easy to deal with - after you're shown how.
Make sure they demonstrate the furnace and AC - not by pointing, but by turning it on and letting it run.

Have them help you practice turning on and off the propane, lighting the stove etc. Have them coach you through setting off and then turning off the CO2 alarm (highly annoying that one).

Open and close every single window every door, make sure you can convert the sofa etc.

This is YOUR opportunity to catch the things missed when the rig was being made - this is YOUR punch list.

I absolutely concur with the above poster's suggestion to take the motor home to a TIRE STORE (that deals with trucks) and get the stainless long valve stems put on. Take your rig to Ford Truck dealer (if that is the chasis you have) to get the alignment done. These are the appropriate places to take the rig NOT your rv dealer.

Buy a decent tire gauge - look at the truck tire store or a real auto parts store. The home version for your minivan isn't adequate for this new RV.
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #6

I am printing everything ya'll tell me Thank you so much! Keep them coming! So much for me to learn!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

Here's the quick and dirty about getting power from your parents home......

IF your motorhome has a 50 amp power cord, you will need an adaptor cord that goes from 50 amp FEMALE plug to 30 amp MALE plug (sometimes called a dog-bone cable) and then you will need another adaptor connector that goes from a 30 amp FEMALE to a 15 amp MALE plug. This end will fit into your basic electrical outlet found throughout or outside of your average home.

That being said, your TOTAL draw of everything inside the motorhome CANNOT exceed the current draw (typically 15 amp) of the house outlet. You will be limited to using heaters and such.........they draw a lot of current.

As far as water......... you will have your choice of using a connection to your parent's house via a hose, (unlimited supply) or filling your own on-board water tank to use that supply, and if you do, you will need to turn on the on-baord water pump to draw the water up from the tank.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #8

Not sure how cold it will be where you are and where you're going, but be sure you know how to winterize the water system. If its much below 32 degrees and not winterized you could suffer damage to the waterlines,etc. Winterizing isn't hard, but my dealer never showed me how to bypass the water heater, which wasted rv anti freeze until I discovered all the valves. If it has an ice mjaker in the fridge, make sure they show you how to winterize that too.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #9

We've done a couple of PDI's and still miss things.
Here's our list of SOME of the things we missed on our 360.

1. Air mattress (a good idea BUT in the real world it didn't work)
During the PDI we watched the setup and disassembly... don't watch, you need to do it.
This would be the first and last thing we would do, set it up and leave it till the end of the PDI.
The first time we TRIED to use ours, it held air for less than an hour.
That air mattress was VERY expensive, motel room for 2 nights for my brother and sister in law.
The warranty replacement lasted 7 nights; we'll be buying another brand.

2. Water filter
Don't even turn the pump on until the filter has been installed!
There are a lot of shavings in the tank from all the holes the manufacture cut.

3. It’s already been mentioned, take a video camera.
Don't try to record the whole PDI, there's too much stuff, most of it very basic.
Record the dash. What's that ICC button for? How do you start and stop the generator? etc.
Record both monitor panels. Did you know you have 5 holding tanks and 2 dump stations?
Record both thermostats, the bedroom one doesn't control the furnace.
Record the dump stations
the water hookups, I can't remember if a potable water hose came with our 360
the winterization process.

4. Also as mentioned above GET your front end aligned ASAP. Michelin tires cost about $500 each/installed and the driving will be dramatically improved!

One suggestion we have found saves A LOT of heart burn.
Take your 360 home and spend a couple of days loading.
Then spend a couple of days/nights on your nearest Wal-Mart parking lot.

Have fun and enjoy
ab&jb
Old 12-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #10

One more really important thing - buy a GOOD quality drinking water hose before you have the PDI. You do not want the cheap one which makes your water taste awful but you need one to connect to your water supply. It's no good to hear about how you "would" connect and you need to make sure there are no leaks. Walmarts (some of them) have two qualities of drinking water hose - the more expensive one works great).
Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Forest River paid for the alignment on our Georgetown.
I sent an email to John Armstrong and told him I would get the alignment checked.
If it is off will F.R. pay? He told me if it needs it send me the bill and we will send a check. They did.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #12

Get under the hood and make sure you know all the check points.
also get a flashlight and look under the moterhome for anything that looks out of place
like hoses that are not secured or blistering, leakes, things hanging down.
I know this is a new machine but
you don't have to be an expert to see poor workmanship.
All these things have to be repaired befor the 1 year warrenty is up
because after that its your baby and you'll be paying for all those little things witch could add up to some real money.
Good Luck !!
jojo bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #13
Anacortesians

We have an '02 Georgetown we bought in 2010 from the original owners. They had spent a lot of money keeping it in good shape and we're the benficiaries. It had 12.800 miles on it when we bought it and only 48 hours on the generator.

We've found that construction and engineering design quality are OK, but not spectacular, but for the price we paid, we're adequately satisfied. I guess just above mediocre quality for a just less than mediocre price is overall not too bad.

With luck, Georgetown has got its production engineering a bit better organised than when ours was built. I'm finding a lot of what we engineers call "chewing gum and bailing wire" things in our rig. If other things hadn't happened (a water leak in the dinette slide-out) I might not have noticed.

I wish you luck with your rig and hope you have many enjoyable experiences, like we have had, and not too many "oh s--t things (which we've also had). On balance, Georgetown has been an acceptable experience, not like our earlier Class C. I figured that the average night out with that pile of c==p cost about $400. You can get very nice hotel accomodation for that kind of money.

We love the lifestyle, particularly in this part of the world and we'll keep our GT325 until we can't drive any longer. At 71, I'm hoping that's at least 7 or 8 years away.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #14

Part of the excitement of the gorgeous new 360 is learning the systems. Unfortunately that can also be very frustrating part of new RV ownership. An example, you are going down the highway with the fridge running on propane, not electric. I am on my second motor home and I thought I knew all when I took. delivery of my 2011 330TS. Guess what, me and my dear wife (DW) had alot to learn on the new rig. Best advice in previous posts is physically "DO" each item as your dealer goes through your PDI. Turn on the generator, the furnace, water pump, AC units in back and front of coach and so on and on, don't just listen and say "OK". Go by your schedule and time allotted, not the dealer. Take all day if need be. Tip the tech that goes over everything with you and ask him/her if they would mind if you called them if you had a question (get their cell number), much quicker and easier than through dealer service dept. Finally, best advice of all, GET THAT WHEEL Alignment! That is one of the things I did right. Good Luck and Many Many Happy and Safe Miles of Adventure and Fun!!!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #15

We are getting closer to delivery, it will be this week. a "transport" driver is bringing it to me. I hope this person knows everything and has patience! My fear is that it arrives at night when I can not see everything I need to. We plan to stay in the MH in the driveway for 2 nites until we head out for an overnight.
I saw a water filter mentioned, that the tank has shavings in it. What kind of filter is this and where exactly do you install it? So much to learn! We bought a video and watched that, read 2 books. But the test is in actually doing it yourself!
So many helpful hints here and I am so appreciative. I will take pics of the new rig once we get it here.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #16

Great, were looking foward to it too
We would like to know if Forrest River has upgraded there QC
jojo bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #17

Taking in everything ya'll are telling me. I got a BIG 3 ring binder that is filling up with helpful hints and knowledge. It gives me peace of mind

It has been fun picking out all the things to go in the new home. Trying to find the appropriate cover tonight.

I got my "good" waterhose! Bought the pressure thingy to control the psi at campgrounds

Still pondering the surge protector. Not sure if I have a 50 amp connected to the 30 amp and the surge protector is a 50 amp, if that combo works. They are expensive and then I need a lock so it does not get stolen

Thanks again!
Old 12-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinasgirl View Post
We are getting closer to delivery, it will be this week. a "transport" driver is bringing it to me. I hope this person knows everything and has patience! My fear is that it arrives at night when I can not see everything I need to. We plan to stay in the MH in the driveway for 2 nites until we head out for an overnight.
I saw a water filter mentioned, that the tank has shavings in it. What kind of filter is this and where exactly do you install it? So much to learn! We bought a video and watched that, read 2 books. But the test is in actually doing it yourself!
So many helpful hints here and I am so appreciative. I will take pics of the new rig once we get it here.
Have you checked with your dealer about WHO will provide the PDI?

The water filter is in the compartment on the street side just in front of the rear wheels. It's a sticks and bricks type filter. I bought a package of 2 PUR filters at WalMart, already used 1.

And now for the next phase of your adventure.

Which half of we will be driving your 360 and will the other half be navigating OR driving your car?

Here are some simple rules (3) to maybe help you in the next few weeks.

1.NEVER backup.
2. Always be aware of UP (what are you about to take the top off of your new motorhome with). ESPECIALLY in your neighborhood, the trees will be much lower.
3 NEVER violate rule #1.

Now that you've been thinking about your car.

BIG QUESTION: Is it possible to tow it with ALL 4 wheels on the ground?
Most manual transmission can.
Most automatic can't, some Saturn (BOO on GM for killing them), Honda CRV can, lots of towed resources on this and other forums.

Personally I chose to keep my daily driver (Mini CooperS automatic) and use a tow dolly.

Now back to the rules.
I always have jb out of the HM and directing me when backing up.
A few weeks ago a gentleman was trying to help. I STOPPED and could hear him saying come on back... I DID NOT! jb told him "he wont he can't see you in his mirrors or the backup camera", he moved and I continued backing up.

If/when you find yourself in that impossable position and have to back up with you car hooked up.
You might as well unhook, you just can't back more than a few feet with your towed hooked up.

ab&jb
Old 12-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #19

advice: Pick up a pair of walkie talkies (Sam's Club or Costco) like Motorola. Really handy to have. For example when backing into a campsite, the outside person can relay infomation - like the trees are too low for the driver's side slide - from positions where your back up camera can't pick up the voice. Also handy when one person is in another part of the campground (at the playground with the children and lunch is ready). Yes you could use your cell phones - except that cell coverage doesn't always work.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #20

Excited about this!

These are the new ceramic floors. With 2 dogs, I think I will like these.

Hope I like this oven. Saw the recommendation about the pizza stone