Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2016, 08:46 PM   #1

New TV and sound

How do i get the sound from the TV to come out of the coach sound system? I am installing a Samsung 48" (just barely fits) and the existing wires only provide sound and video from a dvd player. I hope the answer is simple. Thanks

2011 Gergetown 378 TS XL on a Workhorse W22 chassis

Toad is a 2014 Chevy Cruze RS
Moorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:16 PM   #2

New tv will either have a RCA style output or a 1/8th stereo output. You need to wire that to the aux input on your amp. Check the wire hooked up for the DVDs player. There should be a pair of RCA ( red and white ) that are not needed for DVD to work.
jakespeed136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:00 AM   #3

tv

TV is in the slide so only wires are the RCA wires going up to the DVD player above the passenger area. They must supply audio and video from the DVD player through the coach sound system. How do i get the TV sound through the coach sound system?

2011 Gergetown 378 TS XL on a Workhorse W22 chassis

Toad is a 2014 Chevy Cruze RS
Moorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #4

Connect the red and white rca plugs to the audio out on the tv and at the dvd player connect those identical plugs to the audio in. Select AUX IN on the dvd player for distribution throughout the coach (dvd player will adjust coach speaker volume). The yellow rca plugs are for the composite video between the afore mentioned units for dvd viewing to the tv. This is of course is a typical interconnect (works for the FR installed RCA dvd player in the 2012 GT378) because I don't know what dvd player you have. If your tv only has the 1/8 plug stereo out a "Y" adapter is readily available for your red/white plugs.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:24 AM   #5

If your TV has audio out jacks and if your surround system device has audio in jacks you can connect the two together directly. Both the TV and surround system device have to turned on. You will have to see the back of your dvd player or whatever device feeds the multiple speakers to see if it has audio in jacks. Some do, some don't. Some only receive their signals from coax or HDMI cables. Higher end devices have multiple ports and jacks that can receive audio or visual signals from multiple devices. The back of my home system is a nightmare of cables and jack wires because I have connected multiple devices that can feed both audio and video to my Yamaha high power receiver/amplifier that drives studio type very large Klipsch speakers. The system in my Georgetown is so very basic and I hardly ever use it other than watching TV. The sound quality is just ok. If I actually spent a lot more time in the GT I would upgrade the whole sound system.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Most new TVs do not have RCA audio outputs anymore.

They normally use digital outputs now.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optica...ital+to+analog

Not to worry, an inexpensive alternative is to convert the digital output to analog (the converter) and use the RCA inputs on your player.

Depending on your model Audio/DVD system there may be a digital input hidden behind the sound system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_TOSLINK.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	100032   Click image for larger version

Name:	ZX-800 connections.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	100034  
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #7

Our new Samsung TV has a an Optical OUT connection. We run an optical cable from it to our surround sound system. Anything that is connected to the TV will then play through the surround sound.

I suggest that you look for an Optical IN plug on your DVD player that will allow you to play the TV through the trailer speakers. These new optical and HDMI cables are a lot easier than the old yellow, white, red things we used to use.
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2021 Ford F-250 Super Duty
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:31 PM   #8

The problem I had with our setup was the dash DVD player played "TO" the TV as well as to the coach speakers, it did not play from the TV to the dash player. There was only 1 set of RCA cables. Can't have it both ways. There are solutions though.
I installed a Sony Blueray home theater system in my 2013 378XL. A sound bar is another excellent choice and would be easy setting up. There are wireless options as well.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:01 AM   #9

I have the same setup as you, but the original 40" TV. I have a dish receiver in the compartment next to the RCA surround sound. I just ran RCA cables from the dish receiver to an auxiliary input on the RCA box. Works perfect. Off the air channels or cable still goes through the TV however. Hope this helps.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote