Old 09-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #1

Hello everyone, first time here. It looks like I will be getting my first rig this weekend. It is a Georgetown 36', gas rig.. V10 2004. It is almost new, only 7985 miles on it. Everything works, no leaks detected inside or out. Inside of cabinets dry everywhere. 3 slides, auto leveler, etc... ( alas tho no washer/dryer).. can't always make Momma happy I guess. I am a retired Harley Mech, 38 years with them. Owner has listed it for 35k...this seems about right from what I can find. Any comments would be appreciated , any warnings even more so....
Thanks... hope to be on the road soon

RRMCJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
Check the tires, 04 the tires may need replacing, if original and probably are, if the mileage is correct. The tire sidewalls my show signs of cracking, even if tread is good. You would need to try everything out and make sure all works.

Logic will carry you from point A to point B. Imagination will carry you everywhere. "Albert Einstein". 2011 Georgetown 360, Bride of 45yrs, and 2014 Chev Equinox toad, what more could you ask for.
copsuno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
Based on our experience, go up on the roof and inspect the slide toppers. We didn't realise the LR topper was completely rotted out and we had a major water leak during the off-seasnon as a result.

I've built a new set of overhead cabinets for the LR slide, because of mold in the originals. I'm just aboiut done with the installation (trims and moldings remain).

We had to replace the OEM (early 2001) tires and the house battery, which we replaced with two Costco size 27 deep-cycle batteries.

We're happy with our rig. Sure, it rides like an 11-ton truck. It IS an 11-ton truck. I can think of a lot of other things I can spend money on (like gasoline and CG fees) rather than worrying about ride quality for 5000 miles a year.
Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
Not having the washer and dryer is not that big a deal. There are lots of threads identifying the long drier times, the inefficiencies, and water consumption and disposal using RV washers and dryers. Lots of campgrounds for bigger rigs have industrial wahers and dryers to take care of that concern.

I echo the suggestion to really check the tires. In the RV world, unless you are a real travelling full-timer, you'll never wear out your tires before UV and such will make you replace them........and they're not cheap. Given the job they handle, don't just buy the cheapest ones either.

Also, you mention the low surprise.....but you may want to check the fluids for the motor for that period too. Can the previous owner show maintenance records? If not, an oil change, rad flush, possibly a transmission fluid change, steering and brake fluid might be worth checking. Small investements for peace of mind.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
X2 on the tires. When I bought my '05 with 23,000 miles, I replaced what looked like new tires for what I know are new tires.

A blow out is the last thing you need at highway speeds...

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
Thanks for advice

Wanted to thank all for ur replys.... Still looking tho, coach is on it's 3rd owner... 8k miles and 3 owners already!!!! Spooked me I guess... this guy said he bought it from a friend who needed the money, but said he never uses it after all either...hmmmmm Still think about how clean it was tho... Use to be I jumped right in, having been a mech for 40 years, but since my cancer I second guess everything... need to drink more maybe...lmao.. j/k

RRMCJIM is offline   Reply With Quote