Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2015, 08:18 PM   #1

Newbie Questions

We are taking our 364TS in this weekend to have a hard-wired surge guard installed and to get a few things fixed that we've found. Of course this is a drop off and wait situation. Does it need to be unloaded before taking it in for work?

Also, when not in use, do you leave the slides in or out?

Thanks.

Fantastic husband, 2 daughters, 2 foster sons and 3 pups
https://worldofweeks.com/
2xaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:38 PM   #2
WDK

Newbie Questions

I would take off things like tools, and small electronics as well as jewelry etc....thieves are thieves in every walk of life and in fact most dealers say on the door...."Not responsible for items inside". Make sure you do a walk around for dents and scratches....the dealer should do this walk with you.

As far as your slides....they are made to be out....just keep your slide gaskets lubricated with baby powder or some other gasket protectant....the biggest thing here is wear and tear but that's life. It's like opening and closing your garage door.....motors, gears, pulleys, hydraulics.....it all goes bad sometime.

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:00 PM   #3

It's not necessary to unload, but it would be a good idea to remove anything that you don't want to grow legs while in the shop. It's never a bad idea to do a walk through, inside and out, with a camera to document the current condition and personal property.

While not in use.. absolutely slides in. Slide gaskets are not designed as an all weather airtight seal. It also puts undue stress on your rigs structure and slide supports. Even while camping, if there is severe inclemental weather, many will pull their slides in whenever possible.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:26 PM   #4
WDK

Newbie Questions

I did miss the "not in use part" though are you saying extended storage (definitely in) or leaving them out for a couple of weeks or so while your getting it ready inside and out for a trip. Trying to quantify weather goes without saying....ie when the wind kicks up you roll your your awnings in as I would my slides if I hear a bad storm is brewing but when it's on my pad and I am working on it between trips, I leave my slides out.

WDK
Old 05-08-2015, 11:21 PM   #5

we fulltime so the only time the slides are in is when we are traveling. Agree if a bad wind storm is coming I pull the main slide in since its the biggest.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDK View Post
I did miss the "not in use part" though are you saying extended storage (definitely in) or leaving them out for a couple of weeks or so while your getting it ready inside and out for a trip. Trying to quantify weather goes without saying....ie when the wind kicks up you roll your your awnings in as I would my slides if I hear a bad storm is brewing but when it's on my pad and I am working on it between trips, I leave my slides out.

WDK
I was asking about not in use in between camping trips. You answered my question.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:57 PM   #7

Thanks for the information about pulling the slides in during a wind storm. It makes perfect sense, but it isn't something anyone ever shared nor anything I had ever read.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #8
WDK

Newbie Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xaround View Post
Thanks for the information about pulling the slides in during a wind storm. It makes perfect sense, but it isn't something anyone ever shared nor anything I had ever read.

When all is working right, it does not take much to pull them in. If your expecting that bad of a storm.....better to be a little less comfortable and safer than sorry,

Tags