Old 10-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Newbie winterizing q's - 351ds

I debated posting this in the winterizing forum or the Georgetown forum - mods feel free to move it if needed.

We've had a blast in our first year of Class A heaven. Put 10,000 miles on it, I spent probably 30 nights in it, not bad for a busy family of 5.

We're not done yet, and we have always camped year round (previous toy hauler) so I have to be able to winterize it myself, as I will probably winterize/dewinterize at least 3-4 times this winter

Newbie question #1 - silly but asking just in case - this is an expensive beast - on the idiot cover panels over the water connections - is there any reason I can't just take those off and leave them off? I'm not going to put things in those compartments, but would remove the cover every time I worked on it rather than work through those tiny holes.

Newbie question #2 - winterizing resi fridge - I've read up on this on these forums and irv2, but still concerned and unsure. It's the only part of winterizing I have any concern about. My 351ds has a connection with a shutoff next to the stove in the trash can compartment. Most things I read say to just disconnect there and the water drains right out - but this is not underneath the fridge - it's to the side about 3 feet. There's a panel in front of the tubing that will prevent me from getting the end low and draining it into something at the same time, and I certainly don't want to just dump it back there. See attached pic. And lastly, I'm concerned that there's probably a big coil for the in-door water and whatever's in the icemaker. Any tips would be greatly appreciated - I want to have a handle on this as we'll probably have a freeze within the next month. I plan to winterize 2 weeks from now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0506.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	40976  

Brian & Amy Gregory
Becca (16), Bethie (13), Nate (9)
2013 Georgetown 351ds
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Toad with ReadyBrute Elite
Networx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member
I use my air compressor at home set at 40 psi and blow out the lines. You should be able to blow out any water in the water line to the fridge. We don't have an ice maker or drinking water at our fridge though. I'm sure someone that does will chime in with their procedure on winterizing.

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
I was told by the service guy, during our walkthrough, to never use compressed air with this coach. Something to do with the type of fitting they used with the pipes.

When it's time to do mine, I think I'm just going to let the antifreeze run out of the drink dispenser on the fridge...catch it in a bucket. My only concern is with the fresh water tank.
2014 Georgetown 351DS
-TruCenter -Front/Rear CHF -Hellwig Links -Tiger Trak -Ran McNally GPS -ScanGauge -Truck Systems TPMS -5 Star Tune
alparmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
I don't sweat the fresh water tank. I drain it the best I can, and the little bit left will have room in the tank to expand when it freezes without breaking anything.
I used compressed air on our TT a couple of times, but I always put the pink stuff in afterwards, so I quit doing that step.
Brian & Amy Gregory
Becca (16), Bethie (13), Nate (9)
2013 Georgetown 351ds
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Toad with ReadyBrute Elite
Networx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Just use the low point drain on the FW tank, any water left in the tank that does freeze should not hurt the tank.
It is your water lines you need to worry about.
The traps in the sinks and shower/tub will need some anti freeze poured into them.
Be sure to pull the plug or anode rod and drain the HW tank.
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
In response to question #1, you can just remove those panels. According to the tech who did our walk through, they are not insulating, just cosmetic. I removed the one from the water heater and filter, however did not remove the one by the pump because one of the screws was hard to get at. I found that I could easily reach the pump bypass switch.

mdimarti is offline   Reply With Quote

newbie, winter, winterize