Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2016, 08:32 AM   #1

NO cold air from rear 13,500 btu AC

Well, something major happened to day while in southern California.
My bedroom AC unit stopped blowing cold air. Just slightly cold.

Some of things I did to check was check the Freon tubes on roof and they were slightly cool.
The fan was good and pulled 2.0 amps on low sped and 2.3 amps on auto/hi speed. That's good. The capacitor was working fine also.

I then checked compressor and it pulled 6 amp and was turning on and off correctly by thermostat. So that said the compressor and thermostat was good.

So my conclusion is that my AC has low Freon. Now it has been acting up will not cooler air during this past summer but it was working ok.

So now I have to see if it's possible to get a Refrigeration guy to add a valve and fill the system with a few OZ of R410A .
Not sure if this can be done because I have not heard anyone doing this.

Has anyone done this?

I will let you know what my next step will be.
Oh has anyone bout a replacement AC 13,500 ducted type?
I have been looking and it seems $1,100 plus dollars plus install.
This is why I will try and get a refer guy to try and find the leak and refill.
I fgure that may cost me $200 or so.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:36 AM   #2

Are you in warranty or out of warranty?

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:45 AM   #3

The newer A/C's are sealed and you are looking at a new unit.

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #4

A saddle tap can be put on the unit and it can be charged most the time it is not cost effective to do that. One thing you may want to check is that both the inside and outside coils are clean, dirty coils can greatly affect cooling. just a thought
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:53 AM   #5

Out of warranty and I know its a sealed system but it can be modified with a valve and recharged. Just need to find someone locally that does this stuff. It can be done I know but finding someone who is knowledgeable is the hard part.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:54 AM   #6

If you find the refrigerant is low, you can find a clamp-on refrigerant port (a "saddle" like clamp) that allows you to add refrigerant yourself. The price is less than $10 I think.

The leak will remain, however it might buy you some time.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:39 AM   #7
Site Team

A saddle tap can be added, and if you do it yourself, you can buy R410A with UV dye added and charge it up with that and see if you can find the leak. You may get lucky and it be in a place that would be easy to solder up.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #8

I would be concerned first with if it is low on freon where did it leak out at.. You can find a way to add freon but you may be doing it till blue in the face.. Did something hit the unit like a tree branch?? Has to be a leak somewhere.. I use to work on Car a/c's and you should have two coils.. One should be real hot and other one very cold if they are like car a/c's
Old 10-26-2016, 08:39 PM   #9
Retired Ford Tech

Smile Rear AC

Hi John, Rod here. I just replaced the front unit on my 2008. Same symptoms cool but not cold.
I got a Dometic Brisk Air 2 from RV Parts Country. I got the 15,000 BTU for 661.00 delivered. The biggest pain was getting on the roof. A friend with an extension ladder and a helper on the roof is a must.
Remove the interior grill, there are 4 bolts and one plug, plus the freeze sensor the just clips in the evap fins. Clean the roof, a new gasket is already on the new unit, bolt it down, plug it in, reattach the freeze sensor and your done
My original unit was painted to match the body, the new one is black and smaller.
Have fun
rvpezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpezzano View Post
Hi John, Rod here. I just replaced the front unit on my 2008. Same symptoms cool but not cold.
I got a Dometic Brisk Air 2 from RV Parts Country. I got the 15,000 BTU for 661.00 delivered. The biggest pain was getting on the roof. A friend with an extension ladder and a helper on the roof is a must.
Remove the interior grill, there are 4 bolts and one plug, plus the freeze sensor the just clips in the evap fins. Clean the roof, a new gasket is already on the new unit, bolt it down, plug it in, reattach the freeze sensor and your done
My original unit was painted to match the body, the new one is black and smaller.
Have fun
Rod
Do you have the model number you bought?
Mine is ducted and has the remote thermostat. All I see online is the ones with all the controls on the ceiling panel.
Your part number would be helpful just in case I do replac eit.
Thanks
John
Old 10-26-2016, 09:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Have fun
Rod
Mine is ducted and has the remote thermostat. All I see online is the ones with all the controls on the ceiling panel.
Your part number would be helpful just in case I do replace it.
Thanks
John
Old 10-27-2016, 03:45 PM   #12
Retired Ford Tech

AC

John the part number I have is B59516.XX1J0, the manufacture number is B59516, They will chat with you and ask for your AC's part number. Mine has the regular thermostat, not digital read out. they also offer it with a Heat Strip.
rvpezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Rod
Your part number would be helpful just in case I do replace it.
Thanks
John
Iggy,

Coincidentally my rear air is blowing warm. I have a 2013 337. I'm going to check the model number tonight. I have never had an air conditioner problem.

Victor Nicholson
nicholsonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:23 PM   #14

Quote:
John the part number I have is B59516.XX1J0, the manufacture number is B59516, They will chat with you and ask for your AC's part number. Mine has the regular thermostat, not digital read out. they also offer it with a Heat Strip.
Thanks but that is a 15,000 btu ducted.
The one I have that went bad is a 13,500 btu ducted with remote digital thermostat
Old 10-29-2016, 12:16 AM   #15

I'm now back home with my Georgetown and will do some more testing on the AC unit to try and figure what actually went bad or not.

Fan starts fine.
It seems the compressor get only a few amps but doesn't seem to get started.
I think the Capacitor seems to be for the Fan and the Compressor startup.

Here is my diagram for my B457915 unit.

I also looked at the now new Brisk Air II that is lighter and has a lot less metal and more plastic.
B57915.xx1J0 seems to be the number.

I need a black shroud and ducted air and have the digital thermostat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	124092  
Old 10-29-2016, 06:53 AM   #16

If AC with heat element, make sure the heat element is not on. Could be a thermostat problem
cbmerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmerton View Post
If AC with heat element, make sure the heat element is not on. Could be a thermostat problem
It is just a AC unit . No heating element.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:07 PM   #18

Just double checked compressor and all attached overload and capacitor and all are good. The only thing is it must be low on Freon.
It get's the signal from the thermostat to cool and compressor starts but the tubes are just slightly cool.
For the Money I guess it's worth getting a newer version Brisk Air II which has a few advancements. Has more insulation and less sound like the old version I have.

Now to look around to find one.
I have found them for about $479 to $550 with free ground shipping.
Anyone find a 13,500 btu that is reasonable let me know.
It looks like it is just the roof unit and the thermostat control box and ceiling cover/vent needs to be reused.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:26 PM   #19

Well we bought a new Dometic Brisk Air II on Ebay
I upgraded to a 15,000 btu instead of the 13,500 btu.
I picked it up for $412.12 plus $75 shipping. Total $487.12 which is a steal.

Part number B59516.XX1J0

Now this is only the roof unit and not the lower vent and thermostat controller which I will use with the new installation.

I will need help getting it on the roof but other than that it should be 4 bolts and plug and play.

Should be here from Waco TX by the end of next week hopefully.

I will take come pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture000.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	124168   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l16001.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	124169   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l16002.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	124170  
Old 10-29-2016, 09:44 PM   #20

Good luck on your new dometic unit.
I have a 2014 351 and I am on my fourth 15k brisk air II unit. They have all failed in around 6 months of installation replacement. Dometic has known problems. All have leaked out freon. My current unit is also now only blowing slightly cool air. So it's also failing.
First two units were covered fully under two year warranty from dometic. Last unit they only covered cost of unit and I had to pay $200 for the labor. This has been extremely frustrating and I have no confidence in dometic anymore!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
3500, 500