Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2017, 05:13 PM   #1

No more mud

After burying our 329 next to house and having a wrecker pull us out we decided it was time for our baby to have a permanent parking spot. So with 70 degree temps in Feb my son and I started removing dirt from a 48 foot area, putting down 17 tons of 304 crushed rock. Tomorrow 13 yards of cement gets putdown. 5 1/2 inches thick, 4500 psi, with fiber. I cant wait to park the girl on it. Forms need to be adjusted before morning pour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pad.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	130351  
Secarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:14 PM   #2

Well that's a pro job. I did my parking area with free wood chips from a local tree service. They brought me 4 truck loads which I spread by hand and then rolled with my van to compact. The mulch is over a foot thick and well compacted. I add a fresh layer every year. Not as good as concrete but it is free. The tree service saves $80 tipping fee at the county dump and I get a free high and dry parking area. I also use some of the wood chips for mulch in flower beds.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:29 AM   #3

Bill very good idea, I thought about just putting down rock but I wanted to be able to lay on my creeper and change the oil and not having to add rock every couple years and worry about hitting rocks with mower. I hope spending the money getting the stronger cement and fiber and spending the time compacting will keep the cement looking good for a long time
Old 02-22-2017, 07:16 AM   #4
JBP

Make sure that you put wood or plastic under the tires when parking a long time on concrete. I am parked on gravel wish it was concrete. Not so young any more.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:26 AM   #5

Is the purpose of putting wood under tires to prevent?
Old 02-22-2017, 08:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
Make sure that you put wood or plastic under the tires when parking a long time on concrete. I am parked on gravel wish it was concrete. Not so young any more.
I have always doubted any harm from parking on concrete. Most cars and trucks spend the majority of their time on concrete garage floors, parking lots and highways without issues. Does sitting parked for long periods of time cause RV tires to degrade? I would like to see some unbiased scientific proof. Tires like almost everything else do degrade gradually over time but I would bet they degrade faster when driving on hot contaminated roadways. Just my opinion but if someone has factual data I would like to see it.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
I have always doubted any harm from parking on concrete. Most cars and trucks spend the majority of their time on concrete garage floors, parking lots and highways without issues. Does sitting parked for long periods of time cause RV tires to degrade? I would like to see some unbiased scientific proof. Tires like almost everything else do degrade gradually over time but I would bet they degrade faster when driving on hot contaminated roadways. Just my opinion but if someone has factual data I would like to see it.
Personally I think parking tires on boards on top of concrete is way overthinking it. This discussion has been around for years and I believe a lot of that stems from when someone took this quote from the Michelin tire guide.

Notice it says "some storage surfaces" it doesn't specifically call out concrete.

FROM MICHELIN:
"LONG TERM STORAGE AND RV TIRES
Unless the RV owner is a full-time RV-er, the vehicle
probably spends some time in long-term storage. But what
the RV owner probably didn’t know is that rubber tires age
when not being used. So, if the owner must store the RV,
a cool, dry, sealed garage is the best bet. Also, some storage
surfaces can cause tires to age faster. That’s why Michelin
recommends placing a barrier (cardboard, plastic or
plywood) between the tire and the storage surface.
Here are some other steps the RV owner can take to help
reduce the aging effects from long-term storage:
1) Thoroughly clean tires with soap and water before
placing into storage.
2) Cover tires to block direct sunlight and ultraviolet rays.
3) Store out of a high ozone area.
Note: When a vehicle is stored, tires should be inflated to
the inflation pressure indicated on the sidewall.
Before removing the vehicle from long-term storage,
thoroughly inspect each tire — this includes sidewalls, tread
area, and air pressure. If the tires have lost air, be sure to
inflate them to the correct pressure before driving."

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:27 AM   #8

Great pic of your driveway camper spot.
after much deliberation and not having
the money for concrete i opted for crushed
concrete. here is the end result
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2785 2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	446.3 KB
ID:	130410  
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #9

Interesting 5Picker. I guess it would be just as valid to say that tires gradually degrade on any surface and all the time. haha Nothing like being vague. Thanks for posting that blurb. The advice to always check tire condition and inflation before any trip is rock solid advice. I usually do a quick inspection at each fuel stop also and that's usually once a day in addition to the morning departure check. Only takes a few minutes.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #10

pour complete

Five hours and a total of 18 yards, going o wait til Saturday to cut joints. If you do the calculations and if you where completely set at 5 1/2 inches it should have only been a bit under 14 yards. Glad I am not in business sticking by my estimates I would be bankrupt. Our darling MH should be happy on her new pad.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Finished pour.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	488.6 KB
ID:	130418  
Old 02-22-2017, 02:11 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secarider View Post
Five hours and a total of 18 yards, going o wait til Saturday to cut joints. If you do the calculations and if you where completely set at 5 1/2 inches it should have only been a bit under 14 yards. Glad I am not in business sticking by my estimates I would be bankrupt. Our darling MH should be happy on her new pad.
Nice, that should hold it.
It appears the adjoining concrete was textured.
You're not going to do that with the new?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #12

texture

Not exactly texture, it is cracked and will be replaced when we add to the drive in the future for the MH winter storage and my garage since DW gets our house garage.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secarider View Post
Hey that looks great! How much would you charge to repair my 35 year old driveway at home? Its a race to see which falls apart first, me or the driveway.