Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2018, 06:31 PM   #1
Retired Ford Tech

No More SD from Direct TV

We were full timers until September of 2017. We purchased a home in Arizona. I got Direct TV HD Genie for the house, no problem. We are using the GT to visit back East for the summer. I inquired about reactivating the SD receivers in the coach. I was told that I could put the Genie on VACATION and reactivate the SD. The tech guy at Direct said that Direct is no longer offering SD and only HD, so they can't reactivate my old SD receivers! Anyone else have this problem?
rvpezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:00 PM   #2

We watch DirecTV on our iPads. DH likes different channels than I do, so it works for us. You can also use an HDMI-2VGA adapter to watch on the tv. It takes the signal from your iPad and sends it to the HDMI cable. Very slick. You can also watch Netflix or Amazon Prime movies on the tv with it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HDMI-to-V...&wl13=&veh=sem

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:06 PM   #3
Gold Tee Box

After several years of DirecTv, setting up a dish on tripod, messing with local cable, bringing receivers from home, etc., we moved on to strictly wireless.

We now carry our own ATT WIFI unit from home, which also has our home tel on it. Now when we travel we have our own strong WIFI and home phone with us anywhere in the country.

For TV, we have the DirecTv AP on our phones, and DirecTv.com on our laptops. We can watch most anything we subscribe to at home, and connect a laptop to a larger TV screen with HDMI cables.

We also have the local cable, which sometimes is OK, but no more setting up azmuth and elevation, dealing with trees, etc. As long as you are near an Interstate Hwy or city, you can get plenty of bandwidth and watch whatever you want.
Attached Images

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:11 PM   #4

I still use mine, but I didn’t turn off, I have HD in house but not the genie ,I take the SD in and out of house. The direct man did tell me you couldn’t use genie on the road from home! I guess they think we are getting over on them! With the cost should be able to move anywhere! Lol!
GFAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFAR View Post
I still use mine, but I didn’t turn off, I have HD in house but not the genie ,I take the SD in and out of house. The direct man did tell me you couldn’t use genie on the road from home! I guess they think we are getting over on them! With the cost should be able to move anywhere! Lol!

We travel every year with our DirectTV genie from the house, works great. Just don’t have local channels when we are over 100 miles from home. That’s when we use antenna and the direct tv antenna to sat converter. It puts the antenna channels into the sat listing so we can record, pause, etc. been doing it for years.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #6

Glad "Wifi TV" works for everyone. I'm jealous.

Don't have Wifi everywhere, and don't have a plan to allow that volume of tv watching. So I have a Direct dish and it works great. Try to not watch SD if I can help it. LOL. Spoiled.

Locals are on OTA antenna wherever we go. No calls, no charge, no fuss.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:58 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpezzano View Post
We were full timers until September of 2017. We purchased a home in Arizona. I got Direct TV HD Genie for the house, no problem. We are using the GT to visit back East for the summer. I inquired about reactivating the SD receivers in the coach. I was told that I could put the Genie on VACATION and reactivate the SD. The tech guy at Direct said that Direct is no longer offering SD and only HD, so they can't reactivate my old SD receivers! Anyone else have this problem?
I read that standard service will be active until 2019. I'm not sure what I will do if our SD box no longer works with our in-motion antenna, which only displays in SD. We can get HD channels, but it's in SD. If the box can no longer be reactivated, we're pretty much screwed unless we change boxes (this is taking in account that the dish will still work). If we change to an HD box, I'll have to rewire the coach or use a wireless system at all the TVs(5).
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #8

You need SD receiver. Direct no longer sells then. I purchased mine from Wingard got a little over $100.
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I read that standard service will be active until 2019. I'm not sure what I will do if our SD box no longer works with our in-motion antenna, which only displays in SD. We can get HD channels, but it's in SD. If the box can no longer be reactivated, we're pretty much screwed unless we change boxes (this is taking in account that the dish will still work). If we change to an HD box, I'll have to rewire the coach or use a wireless system at all the TVs(5).
???
Why is new cabling required just because of changing to HD?

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 05-22-2018, 02:12 PM   #10

Yes You Can Do It! Only talking about DirecTV here not any other Satellites services.
DirecTV doesn't seem to know their stuff from tech to tech. Some are even just Full of Crap. Some don't have a clue what you are wanting to do, some say it can't be done, some want to schedule a tech to come out (don't do it) make them ship you the box. You can set it up yourself. My King Quest tells you what DirecTV receivers are compatible and what the settings on the sat receiver should be set at for type of dish.
You don't get record ability or rewind and pause ability. You do see your local programming like you see at home as well as your channels in your package.

I have the King Quest satellite, connected to an SD receiver the Model D12-100 which they still have those because I just got a refurbished one to replace the one we had.
We have the Genie system in the house.

I talked to DirecTV and finally got someone that knew what I wanted to do. You have to keep on them since some of them say it can't be done, blah, blah, blah.
Anyway this is all billed on my same account and the D12 is just another piece of equipment in my equipment list for the account. SD vs HD no problem! Hey we're camping, ya must rough it somewhere! And I want my ice cubes so not that!
I think it is about $7.50/mo for the D12-100 box and service and I can suspend it when not out camping. You could find an old D12 online and then have them activate it or send you a card for it. The home Genie system is always on since my mom stays at home when we are gone.

So yes you can have your DirecTV satellite on the road as well as at home.
Now getting the right tech on the phone to help you and know that this is a mobile setup can be a round robin of phone tag and telling the same story over and over.
Until I got the genie I could just take a receiver out to the RV and good to go. Genie's all have to be connected to each other to work. Directv pulled a fast one in the name of progress and better service.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:14 PM   #11

Since AT&T and DirecTV got together everything has gotten worse as most things that AT&T acquires does. It was always a pain dealing with each of them, now they really don't care.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Yes You Can Do It! Only talking about DirecTV here not any other Satellites services.
DirecTV doesn't seem to know their stuff from tech to tech. Some are even just Full of Crap. Some don't have a clue what you are wanting to do, some say it can't be done, some want to schedule a tech to come out (don't do it) make them ship you the box. You can set it up yourself. My King Quest tells you what DirecTV receivers are compatible and what the settings on the sat receiver should be set at for type of dish.
You don't get record ability or rewind and pause ability. You do see your local programming like you see at home as well as your channels in your package.

I have the King Quest satellite, connected to an SD receiver the Model D12-100 which they still have those because I just got a refurbished one to replace the one we had.
We have the Genie system in the house.

I talked to DirecTV and finally got someone that knew what I wanted to do. You have to keep on them since some of them say it can't be done, blah, blah, blah.
Anyway this is all billed on my same account and the D12 is just another piece of equipment in my equipment list for the account. SD vs HD no problem! Hey we're camping, ya must rough it somewhere! And I want my ice cubes so not that!
I think it is about $7.50/mo for the D12-100 box and service and I can suspend it when not out camping. You could find an old D12 online and then have them activate it or send you a card for it. The home Genie system is always on since my mom stays at home when we are gone.

So yes you can have your DirecTV satellite on the road as well as at home.
Now getting the right tech on the phone to help you and know that this is a mobile setup can be a round robin of phone tag and telling the same story over and over.
Until I got the genie I could just take a receiver out to the RV and good to go. Genie's all have to be connected to each other to work. Directv pulled a fast one in the name of progress and better service.
Very good. But it seems you are hinting that the SD receiver you have is less per month than an HD one. Not so. Any receiver that is non-recording-capable is $7.00 a month. So, you COULD easily swap out the SD receiver for an HD and pay the same, and get HD to boot...........assuming you get the right dish (not the one you have), a one time purchase anywhere.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 05-22-2018, 02:20 PM   #13

The King Quest for DirecTV only does SD so and HD receiver doesn't cut it. I don't even think it will work. I use SD because I had one and the King Quest said it only works with SD receivers. Dish setup does offer more options, but I have Direct at home.
I don't know what the cost between SD and HD are... SD is what works. The original poster was referring to needing SD and I have working SD knowledge from my RV
Old 05-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpezzano View Post
When 2019 rolls around I will switch my house back to Dish just because of this. Too bad Direct TV will lose some business.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
When 2019 rolls around I will switch my house back to Dish just because of this. Too bad Direct TV will lose some business.
I think he was wrong. I have 5 SD receivers on dishes ranging from a SWM 3 lnb to a single LNB 18 " dish. The RV has an 18" crank up Winegard. All continue to work.

What we are all waiting for is for DirecTV to tell us what will happen to the systems that only receive the 101 satellite. That will not go away but we will certainly need new receivers and perhaps a new lnb or two. We might just get luck and be able to get the national channels in HD on 101.

Time will tell, but if they are as prompt as they have been, 2019 will become 2020 or 2021.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
I think he was wrong. I have 5 SD receivers on dishes ranging from a SWM 3 lnb to a single LNB 18 " dish. The RV has an 18" crank up Winegard. All continue to work.

What we are all waiting for is for DirecTV to tell us what will happen to the systems that only receive the 101 satellite. That will not go away but we will certainly need new receivers and perhaps a new lnb or two. We might just get luck and be able to get the national channels in HD on 101.

Time will tell, but if they are as prompt as they have been, 2019 will become 2020 or 2021.
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #17

Yep, Obsolescence in the name of progress is the way they stay in business.

In time Life becomes Obsolete!
Old 05-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to b bob
We switched to Directv in August 2017 in our house, and added a receiver to the moho. We ordered it online, not from a local retailer. Directv told us the Genie could no longer be installed in our rig, just a SD receiver. We have a Winegard InMotion stationary antenna; the installer said the Genie would no longer work with that antenna. (MY DW BIL has a Genie & mini Ginie's in his rig, but that was installed by a retailer in 2016.) I received a new customer agreement by email on 12/8/17 (which took affect on 3/1/18) that states: " Restrictions Related to Equipment. You agree that you will use the Equipment only for its intended residential use and not for any other purpose. We consider you to be responsible for, and the recipient of programming on, any Equipment you lease or own. You are liable for charges incurred when the Equipment is used by you and when the Equipment is in use by others until your Service is cancelled or you notify us that the Equipment is lost or stolen as described above. You have no right to sell, give away, transfer, pledge, mortgage, alter, or tamper with the Leased Equipment and while you continue to receive Service, you have no right to sell, give away, transfer, pledge, mortgage, alter, or tamper with the Receiving Equipment. Once your Receiving Equipment has been installed, and while you continue to receive the Service, YOU MAY NOT MOVE the Receiving Equipment to a different LOCATION or position at your address while you are receiving the Service. Additional information regarding service, care, maintenance and removal of, as well as responsibility for claims and demands arising out of or related to, the Receiving Equipment is included in the Equipment Lease Agreement." I was also told that satellite 119 (which I believe transmits most SD programming) is running out of fuel this year or early next year, and will not be replaced. I suspect that is why Directv is no longer selling SD receivers.
b bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:08 PM   #19

No, national SD programming comes from 101. Many SD locals come from the other two birds. However, those broadcasts are on "spot beams" and do not work more than 100 miles from your home address.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:15 PM   #20

Must be more distance than that... Savannah is 248 miles from Atlanta and Maggie Valley NC is 176 miles and my DirecTV works fine with my SD D12