Old 09-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #31
I know that some of you have tried the reset procedure without much luck and unfortunately the reset deal quit working for me too. It wasn't intended as bad information and in some cases it does work.

Having said that here is what I have found with my genset so far, it is also a Generac 6500 unit. The main cause of my problem appears to be not using it enough. After chasing through every procedure I could find, wearing out the batteries in my Fluke - I finally decided to try something a little different. I was checking voltage at the outlet and decided to see what happens when you rev the engine up. My issue and probably the same for a lot of you is related to the brushes. Now getting the brushes out to check them on my genset appears to be a deal of pulling the genset out of the coach, not something I really wanted to do but looking over it I think I can actually cut an access in the cover panel and then make up something to cover the hole I create. But I am getting ahead of myself here, while I was checking that voltage I started revving the engine higher and higher, to the point where I was seeing about 130-135 volts on the leg I was checking. It wouldn't last long as the VR kicks in and does its job of lowering the voltage. After I did this a couple of times, it apparently cleaned off the brushes and commutator to the point that I no longer have any issues with it. The genset fires right up, power is output and now every 3 weeks or so, I put a load on the set and let it run for 30-45 minutes. After doing a lot of reading, letting these gensets sit is the worse thing you can be doing with them. They need to be run and often. I know that is a problem if you are off-site storing, but you need to make it part of your routine.

Chasracer is offline   Reply With Quote