Old 06-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
Noise when accelerating.

Have a 2012 Georgetown 350 and noticed when driving there is a strange hum and vibration when it hits about 30 mph. Has anyone experienced this. I dropped it at dealer for warranty repair.

Tbeasley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou
I will be curious to see what they fixed.

We had a "buzz" in our used Park Avenue at 45 MPH that refused all attempts by the dealer to fix. Once the extended warranty ran out they wanted to charge me for "troubleshooting" so I started to track it down in earnest. I had my wife drive while I held a section of spiral hose to my ear and "listened" for the noise with the other end (like a stethoscope).

Turned out there was a piece of "felt" inside the passenger side front fender that filled the void for noise proofing that was not properly fastened on one side. At exactly 45 MPH there was enough air pressure in the fender to get it to move; dump some air hit the metal; thereby vibrating the plastic clip against the firewall.

Above 45, the air held the felt flap "open" and it did not vibrate.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member
My coach developed a whine and slight vibration. I heard a sound like change giggling for a brief second or two, then the whine started. I babied it home and took it to a Ford Truck Center to have it checked out. They couldn't find anything and I picked it up a few days later. On my way home the coach made a terrible noise and literally bucked and the sound of metal breaking was evident. Thankfully I was able to get off the road and called the repair center. I then called Ford and they dispatched a tow truck and towed me back to the repair facility. What they found was the rear was in pieces. The bolts had sheared off in the rear housing and basically started breaking teeth off the gearing. They believed the first noise I heard was one of the bolts breaking and then after they looked at it the remaing bolts just gave way. Ford sent a new rear and we had it back in one week from the time it was towed in. This may not be the same as your hum and vibration but it may not hurt to ask them to check it while it's there.

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
We have a noise that sounds like a piece of sheet metal resonating at about 3200 to 3400 rpm. I can actually feel the vibration thru the floor under my feet. I'm sure that it is a heat shroud of some sort that rattles and I just use it as another que as to what the engine is doing. I'm still growing my "trust" in the Ford V10 because I came from the diesel world of pulling a fifth wheel with a Duramax Chevy dooley.

Begs to question: How good would our unit be with a DurmaxlAllison combo for a power plant? Just a thought.....
2011 Georgetown 378TS in FireMist
2013 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
Lostdog, I have had the same thought, except Cummins. We also came from the 5th wheel and diesel world. I really miss that torque.
JimF, CWO, US Army Ret, 100% DAV
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2008 Dodge Caliber Toad
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
i get a whining noise at about 35 when i dont turn the volume down on the rear view camera it seems to go away at about 50 or when i remove my hearing aids

liven life in east TN and wherever my
2011georgetown280ve, and
2016 fordexplorer and hemi RAM
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote