Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #1

Noisy A/C Units on my 2011 GT 378 TS

Does anyone have any suggestions for what we can do to lessen the A/C noise? The bedroom is especially loud when we are trying to sleep and the one in the main cabin makes it difficult to hear the TV. They seem to never shut off. We are currently in FL so of course the humidity is farily high and the temperatures are in the low to mid 80's.
buddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #2

We have the same issue. We try to cool down the rear area before bedtime and turn the rear A/C off before bedtime and the front unit on high. Then we close the vents in the front to force more air to the rear.

If warmer, we sleep with a fan.

Then we reverse the logic if trying to watch TV. During the heat of the day, we run both units as required.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #3

I have a 2012 georgetown 378,the rear air was very noisy,took to a dealer and they found the rear air was drawing too many amps making it very noisy.The new one still makes some noise,but a lot less than the old one.
manvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

We have a 2010 Georgetown 330 TS (model no longer offered) and it was equipped with two Carrier Air Conditioners. Since late 2010, Carrier has quit making motorhome air conditioners.........figures huh? What brand are Georgetowns coming equipped with nowadays, and its that the same brand everyone is discussing here?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #5

Bill. I tried your suggestion and what a difference it made. The units are still noisy/loud but at least now it is in a different room!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #6

Ken - I don't know what brand I have but I do need to find out!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyu View Post
Ken - I don't know what brand I have but I do need to find out!
Probably both AC are by Dometic.
MIne are also very loud but the loudness is from the massive about of air movement and the fan not the compressors.
Have you thought about trying to take the fans from AUTO to LOW speed and see what happens?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

The Return Grille is mounted directly to the bottom of the unit. All of the noise radiates through the Return from the fans and compressor as well as just the air movement. It's not until you get into the higher priced units where you'll find room to room returns and the system is sealed. I know Winnebago used to mount their AC Units in the basement storage compartment but I believe they're back to rooftop units, but with both a ducted return as well as supply registers. We run ours on low fan on both units once the coach cools down. During the night we run the front AC unit on Hi and close off a few registers in the front. It pushes enough air to the rear to keep it comfortable. We sometimes use a small fan in the bedroom. If you haven't done this I recommend taking foam rubber from any electronic packaging, cut it to size and remove the last register on each side in the front and the last register on each side in the rear. Push the foam rubber into the ductwork so the air stops at that point instead of traveling all the way to the front and rear. You're shortening the length of the duct and don't need to rely on back pressure for the air to escape. In my case the front has more than 6 feet of duct after the last registers and 4 feet of duct after the rear bathroom register.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyu View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for what we can do to lessen the A/C noise? The bedroom is especially loud when we are trying to sleep and the one in the main cabin makes it difficult to hear the TV. They seem to never shut off. We are currently in FL so of course the humidity is farily high and the temperatures are in the low to mid 80's.
Is it "air flow" noise or "mechanical" noise? We have a 2010 378 and don't have the problem. We usually have the fans on "low", however.

We had both units replaced while still under warranty due to a vibration noise (fan out of balance) and the air flow vibrating the foil that is part and parcel of the units. (we have Dometic Duo-Them units).
gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
Happy Homeless

Send a message via Skype™ to guizzi
ac noisy

mine was the same went to Elkhart and the problem is the rubber seal was to tight they fixt it now no more noise
Old 05-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #11

The noise was never that loud that it bother me. We have an 08 xl378
But I will tell you my DW like to keep the bedroom like a meat locker when we slept.
I even put in a 12v oscillating fan on her side of the bed.
Thank Goodness the A/C's work fine.
JDickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
The Return Grille is mounted directly to the bottom of the unit. All of the noise radiates through the Return from the fans and compressor as well as just the air movement. It's not until you get into the higher priced units where you'll find room to room returns and the system is sealed. I know Winnebago used to mount their AC Units in the basement storage compartment but I believe they're back to rooftop units, but with both a ducted return as well as supply registers. We run ours on low fan on both units once the coach cools down. During the night we run the front AC unit on Hi and close off a few registers in the front. It pushes enough air to the rear to keep it comfortable. We sometimes use a small fan in the bedroom. If you haven't done this I recommend taking foam rubber from any electronic packaging, cut it to size and remove the last register on each side in the front and the last register on each side in the rear. Push the foam rubber into the ductwork so the air stops at that point instead of traveling all the way to the front and rear. You're shortening the length of the duct and don't need to rely on back pressure for the air to escape. In my case the front has more than 6 feet of duct after the last registers and 4 feet of duct after the rear bathroom register.
Thanks for the good idea. I also had a problem with the AC duct being open to the bathroom skylight. Lots of leaks from there

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2173643519.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	31217
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post

MIne are also very loud but the loudness is from the massive about of air movement and the fan not the compressors.
Have you thought about trying to take the fans from AUTO to LOW speed and see what happens?
Iggy you are correct. The A/C like the refrigerator is a Dometic. I was told by the dealer to NOT run the units on Low or Auto if it is over 80 degrees outside in order to avoid freezing. Do you agree with that? BTW it is air movement that is making the noise.

The refrigerator is another story. Because of temperature swings we probably lost $100 worth of food. Hopefully I can find someone near where I live but I am not holding out much hope!! Fortunately it is still under warranty for a few more months.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #14

I was told to not use the louvers on the unit except for a quick dump of cold air to first cool the rv off. Other than that the louvers on the a/c unit should remain closed to avoid freezing up the unit.
K9-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:14 AM   #15
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhanson View Post
Thanks for the good idea. I also had a problem with the AC duct being open to the bathroom skylight. Lots of leaks from there

Attachment 31217
I see your skylight looks just like mine did. I ended up stuffing insulation around it then aluminum taped it closed. It stopped all of the saw-dust from laying in the bottom of the skylight.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #16
2012 Georgetown 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Had the same noise problem with a vibration, went on the roof and noticed the fan shaft was spinning out of true. Removed the fans and no vibration, and a lot less noise. bought new fans and no more issues.

Ray, Cynthia, Duncan and Bailey
2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote