Old 08-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #1

not sure about power awning

we have 2009 378 georgetown and are not too thrilled about the power awning. it can't be adjusted for rain to run off and is small and high to offer much shade. last month we got caught with a sudden torrential downpour and alsmost lost the awning. the rain was so heavy we couldn't retract the awning. i had to use a long handled broom to push up the awning to get the rain dumped off enough to get it closed. now we get paranoid everytime it rains and close it. there goes any protection to go outside or open the door. any thoughts or tips on this from anyone?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #2

I leave my awning out and open during rain and it does dump the water automatically just as the design specified. The awning will not work if fully extended the bars must be angled in order for the dump function to work. I however do retract it with winds that become too gusty and the awning starts to fold. I do agree that it can not be lowered to be of much use with the sun, but I hook a screen tarp on hooks to the awning and tie them out to gain the shade from the tarp.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #3

that's interesting....how does it angle?
Old 08-11-2010, 04:48 AM   #4

By angled I mean not fully extended into a locking position. Once water builds up into the awning the awning will literally fold at one end or the other. Which end depends on how you leveled your trailer or motor home. The down river end will fold and as my dog found out holly cow you get a dunk'n.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

The awning will dump water in the fully opened position as well. One of the arms has a slot which allows the awning to tip down by sliding in the slot. The weight of the water is what pushes it down. That's how my awning is set up. I'm not sure if there is a revision where both have the slot. We were just on vacation when a storm came out of nowhere and by the time we got back to camp the rain and wind had come through. The awning closed by the wind sensor as it is supposed to. They would sure be nicer though if the angle was a bit steeper. The awning is so high up it doesn't provide much shade unless the sun is right above.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:54 AM   #6

Mine operates correctly, as cfsoistman says. Be sure that you keep the black knob on the slot loose, or it won't dump water. My awning is very large, 26 feet on a 30 footer, so I don't have any shade issues. I don't think mine has the auto-retract sensors for high winds, however. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
Mine operates correctly, as cfsoistman says. Be sure that you keep the black knob on the slot loose, or it won't dump water. My awning is very large, 26 feet on a 30 footer, so I don't have any shade issues. I don't think mine has the auto-retract sensors for high winds, however. Randy
Holy cow Randy, that awning is huge. Our 2011 only has an 18 footer that comes up just short of the bedroom door. But it will tip either end for rain. And I have discovered there is no wind sensor on it either so we just do the retract when we leave the campsite and at night routine.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
Now a "Top Member"

Mine can be adjusted as well. If you pull the arms down just in front of the black knobs, the arms slide down and you can lock them in the down position with the black knobs. Below is a picture (from our maiden voyage in our Cat) that shows the awning locked in the "down" position. Both arms were locked. We can also lock just one side down to give the angle if we wanted, but I believe the "rain dump" function will work if the arms are up and the knobs not locked as mentioned above.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat_Awning.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	3121
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:49 AM   #9

I have a 2008 Georgetown 374 Class A and the awning is forever doing its own thing.Sometimes it drops when raining, and other times it fills when raining,,very erractic! I think that a level motorhome helps the awning perform properly for dumping rain. Also it has a unique habit of closing in dead calm while we are sitting under it! There is no explanation for this yet! The manufacturer is of no help! I would prefer the old fashioned manual awning any day!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #10

We have a 2008 Georgetown with the A&E awning and had a lot of trouble with it for about a year. The last time we had the dealer look at it, it was repaired "with a part from the supplier". Since it never worked properly from day one, we can only assume that the 'control module' was replaced. It now works like a charm, kneeling when it is full of rain and closing when a mild breeze blows. Well, you can't have everything. Maybe yours needs a new control module too.

Tags
awning