Old 09-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #1

Oh No, not my new RV, HELP - Need Advice PLEASE!

Scenerio - Purchased my new 2012 Georgetown 350TS in May 2011. Used for 4 months with no problems, then.... in July I noticed that there was a leak out of a front vent, forward of the front AC, figured it was condensation but it got worse and then leaked in same spot during a rain storm. By the time I could get an appointment at my dealer which is about 150 miles away, I could see black spots appearing on the vinyl ceiling but could not be wiped off so it was behind the vinyl. Brought my RV to the dealer he fixed the AC that had not been tighted and seated properly from the factory. Next ordered a new vinyl panel from forest river who at first said they would only pay for ac repair but not ceiling panel. I complained to FR and they authorized dealer to take down cabinets and replace vinyl panel. WELL, fast forward a month waiting for parts and dealer calls yesterday to tell me that when attempting to do the repair they discovered that the wood in the ceiling is drenched in water and the styrofoam in the ceiling is crumbling They said the duct work is cut into the styrofoam and is falling apart from water damage as well, they stopped and are not sure how far from the front that the water damage has gone (may be in one or two more ceiling panels he said!) Dealer stated that "ceiling needs to be replaced and is more of a job then they can handle" & "it may have to go back to the factory" they are waiting for a response from FR.

I can't believe this is happening to a brand new RV!! My two trips in Sept and Oct now have to be cancelled (already cancelled Labor Day weekend!) My question is do I contact FR Monday or let the dealer keep persuing the matter? What is the process if it does have to go back to the factory? Does FR take care of expenses for its return to them? I am very worried about this situation, any advice please - This is my first RV - and is quickly not becoming a good experience!

Old 09-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #2

The Forest Gump adage comes to mind. S$%^ happens. Personally I would be on the phone to FR warranty department and get the RV returned to the factory for the repairs. I do know that FR will take towables back to the factory for repairs and that the repairs are done correctly. It is frustrating, but get on FR directly and give them a polite ear full. Do not stop until they authorize returning the unit to the factory. If you do not get a satisfactory answer with the first rep, ask to speak to their boss. Keep going up the ladder until you get the answer you want. Be polite, and document document document. Every phone call and to who you spoke, Keep it polite and do not threaten.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #3

I also have a 350ts which I ordered. When it came in it was the wrong color. They offered to take it back to factory and repaint, but I also wanted wear and tear for the 900 mile one way trip. Forest River would never agree to that in my situation. I ended up getting a nice check and kept the wrong color.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Roy

For your info......
Mike Burns is the warranty person for motorized units.(Georgetown etc.) He is an excellent person to deal with. I previously dealt with him on repairs on my Georgetown. He is located in the service area at their repair facility in Elkhart Indiana. If you can not get satisfaction from your dealer contact him at 574-206-7603 or email at mburns@forestriverinc.com.
He will not answer your telephone call but leave a voice mail and he will get back to you as soon as possible.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
Member-at-Large

Mike Burns boss is Dan Evans. I have been on them both over a mattress issue (a piece of crap). Beat on both of them. My wife is furious about all the things that have happened to our 2011. Needless to say that at least you have your dealer advocating for you. Boat-n-RV Superstore owner Don Littlefield said he couldn't advocate for us so we have taken matters into our own hands. My guess is attorneys will probably be involved. I hope your case does not go this route.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #6

This is a thing to watch on the ac. I did not have a leak on my minilite 2011 but after reading a few treads on how the 4 screws are tighten I decided to check mine . On all the 4 screws only one was tight. 2 of them were loose and the 4th was totally unscrewed and sitting on the filter cover. A good thing I decided to check them because of treads posted by other members of this forum.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col-man View Post
Scenerio - Purchased my new 2012 Georgetown 350TS in May 2011. Used for 4 months with no problems, then.... in July I noticed that there was a leak out of a front vent, forward of the front AC, figured it was condensation but it got worse and then leaked in same spot during a rain storm. By the time I could get an appointment at my dealer which is about 150 miles away, I could see black spots appearing on the vinyl ceiling but could not be wiped off so it was behind the vinyl. Brought my RV to the dealer he fixed the AC that had not been tighted and seated properly from the factory. Next ordered a new vinyl panel from forest river who at first said they would only pay for ac repair but not ceiling panel. I complained to FR and they authorized dealer to take down cabinets and replace vinyl panel. WELL, fast forward a month waiting for parts and dealer calls yesterday to tell me that when attempting to do the repair they discovered that the wood in the ceiling is drenched in water and the styrofoam in the ceiling is crumbling They said the duct work is cut into the styrofoam and is falling apart from water damage as well, they stopped and are not sure how far from the front that the water damage has gone (may be in one or two more ceiling panels he said!) Dealer stated that "ceiling needs to be replaced and is more of a job then they can handle" & "it may have to go back to the factory" they are waiting for a response from FR.

I can't believe this is happening to a brand new RV!! My two trips in Sept and Oct now have to be cancelled (already cancelled Labor Day weekend!) My question is do I contact FR Monday or let the dealer keep persuing the matter? What is the process if it does have to go back to the factory? Does FR take care of expenses for its return to them? I am very worried about this situation, any advice please - This is my first RV - and is quickly not becoming a good experience!
sounds like the same crew who built yours built my Ridgeview next. after just about replacing every major system in it and taking care of all the QC build issues, now they have to fix major floor problems. I really do not like this current QC program. I mean I bought this new in June have used it 9 days, had it in the storage lot for 3 days , the rest of the time it has been in for repairs.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #8

I think as long as you are the original purchaser and is under warranty and it was not caused by you - I would think they would cover it under warranty.

from my experiance with dealing with people - keep a cool level head and tell them like it is - document who, what time and briefly what you talked about when you call - so if you ever have to bring up that info you will have it for future use
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #9

Adirondak dude, I am just confused. I read your other posts and you seemed quite pleased with your motorhome and that FR has helped to your satisfaction, then come on here and imply that FR has done NOTHING for you and you are ready to sue? Which is it?
And complaining about your mattress is silly, as everyone knows you have to order the upgraded mattress, and even then would probably need a topper. If that is your biggest complaint, you have nothing to complain about.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:39 PM   #10

I don't know where you are located but when we bought our 2011 378 last year from Lazy Days in Tampa several of the ceiling panels were not glued well and had large bubbles. Lazy Days got warranty approval and replaced all the panels in unit. Lazy Days did a great job, it ended up taking them more man hours than originally planned and FR approved the additional hrs. I would not trust a small dealership to do this work i would want factory or large dealer such as Lazy Days they are huge and have a full cabinet shop that does this type work, as everything on ceiling (vents, lights etc) has to be removed and replaced. Good luck but rest assured it can be done and you'll never know you had anything wrong.