Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 11:05 AM   #1

Oil Change

I'm sure that it is posted here some place, but I can't find it. Can someone tell me when (how many miles) the oil needs to be changed, or at least the first oil change. I have the Georgetown XL 378.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #2

For my 2010 (actually a 2009 Ford chassis) the manual says to change the oil and filter every 7500 miles or 6 months for normal conditions. For special conditions it says every 5000 miles, 4 months, or 200 engine operating hours.

My driving is mostly on the highway under normal conditions, but I do tow the Jeep. Since Ford says these are the maximum limits, I actually change the oil more frequently.

You may want to do the first oil and filter change sooner. Some people do the first change at 1000 or 2000 miles, although the manufacturers don't require it. The logic is that there can be bits of metal and sand casting remaining from when the engine was manufactured.

If you decide to do your own oil changes, Wal-Mart has the Ford oil and filter. Also consider purchasing a Fumoto Valve to replace the drain plug. They are excellent quality, and the ones with the hose nipple allow you to drain the used oil straight into a jug. The Ford engine uses an F-106N Fumoto Valve.

Search Results | Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valves

Onan specifies changing the generator oil and filter annually, or every 150 hours. It should be done sooner in hot weather or dusty environments. It already has a drain valve similar to the Fumoto Valve installed at the factory. Onan recommends the first oil and filter change at 20 hours.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #3

X2 on the Fumoto Valve. The drain plug on mine is situated so that it is directly above a cross member which makes it hard to collect the oil in a pan neatly. Install the Fumoto valve on your first oil change and the future oil changes will be easy.
WayneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:24 PM   #4

X2 on the Fumoto valve.

Another trick I learned on one of theses sites;

Loosen the oil filter just enough to make sure its going to come off, but not enough that its starts spilling oil. Then take a punch or nail and punch a hole in the bottom of the filter to let it drain before removing it.

Between the Fumoto valve and the hole in the filter, makes oil changes a clean and easy job.

I change my oil every 5k miles, plus or minus a little. if I run it to 6k, no problem. If I know I'm getting ready for a long road trip, I'll change it early.

I make sure its changed before winter storage as I don't like old contaminated oil sitting in the crankcase three or four months during sub zero weather.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:47 PM   #5

I had not heard of the nail hole in the filter before. That is a great idea, I will try that next time.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #6

Thank you very much. So do most of you do your first oil change yourself or have it done? How much oil does it take?

Old 08-17-2015, 06:25 PM   #7

I did my first oil change. 7 Quarts of Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 premium synthetic blend oil. Oil Filter was Motorcraft FL-820-S. Got everything at Wal-Mart. I use the quart size oil containers since they can be poured directly into the filler opening fairly easily. I believe you might need a pump to add oil from the large container due to clearance issues.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:16 PM   #8

I buy my oil and filter at Walmart and bring it to a local large truck repair facility and they change it for 12.50. They also grease all of the fitting while I watch.
I change it about every 6 to 9 months of 6000 miles.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:46 PM   #9

Good thread. Does everyone use Ford/motor craft on their Georgetown. I'm an ol gear head and use Amsoil on my muscle car, street rod daily drivers. Curious if anyone has veered from factory....

Mr. G
MrGrmpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrmpy View Post
Good thread. Does everyone use Ford/motor craft on their Georgetown. I'm an ol gear head and use Amsoil on my muscle car, street rod daily drivers. Curious if anyone has veered from factory....

Mr. G
I run Amsoil in both of our Jeeps.. However I used 5w-20 Motorcraft Synthetic Blend with the Motorcraft Oil Filter in our Class C prior to trading her in.

I plan to use Motorcraft oil and filter in our Georgetown as well.
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
For my 2010 (actually a 2009 Ford chassis) the manual says to change the oil and filter every 7500 miles or 6 months for normal conditions. For special conditions it says every 5000 miles, 4 months, or 200 engine operating hours.

My driving is mostly on the highway under normal conditions, but I do tow the Jeep. Since Ford says these are the maximum limits, I actually change the oil more frequently.

You may want to do the first oil and filter change sooner. Some people do the first change at 1000 or 2000 miles, although the manufacturers don't require it. The logic is that there can be bits of metal and sand casting remaining from when the engine was manufactured.

If you decide to do your own oil changes, Wal-Mart has the Ford oil and filter. Also consider purchasing a Fumoto Valve to replace the drain plug. They are excellent quality, and the ones with the hose nipple allow you to drain the used oil straight into a jug. The Ford engine uses an F-106N Fumoto Valve.

Search Results | Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valves

Onan specifies changing the generator oil and filter annually, or every 150 hours. It should be done sooner in hot weather or dusty environments. It already has a drain valve similar to the Fumoto Valve installed at the factory. Onan recommends the first oil and filter change at 20 hours.
We just took delivery of a new (left over) 2014 Georgetown 328TSF. Not sure how old the oil is since it's been sitting, so I plan on changing the oil before we head to Myrtle Beach.

The Fumoto Valve for the V10 makes a ton of sense.. However I see they are offered with no nipple, short nipple and a long nipple.. Is there enough ground clearance with using the F-106N? I believe this is one is the long nipple style.

Great information. Thanks for sharing..
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:01 PM   #12

There are no clearance issues with the Fumoto F-106N. That is the one that I have.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:58 PM   #13

Jmsx2,
You want the long nipple version (F-106N). The oil drain is about two feet off the ground. As WayneT mentioned earlier, there is a cross member directly under the drain that makes getting a pan in there a real hassle. With a Fumoto valve, you just attach a 1' - 2' piece of vinyl tubing to the nipple when you want to change the oil, and it drains right into a container. You won't spill a drop. Now changing the filter is another matter... Waiter21 - thanks for the hole punch idea for the filter.

Amazon (and other places) sell the Fumoto valve. You can get a couple feet of vinyl tubing to fit the nipple at a hardware store.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:48 AM   #14

I'm unfamiliar with the Fumoto valve but it seems to be a great addition. Is it necessary to have on on the generator or is that plug free & clear. Also Any worries of having a valve on your oil sump vrs a plug?

Mr. G
MrGrmpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:13 PM   #15

The Onan 5500 generator has an oil drain valve with tube already installed from the factory. It is a threaded screw type valve instead of the much better ball valve design that Fumoto uses, but the Onan valve works okay, so it's not worth replacing.

There is a concern with using a Fumoto valve on vehicles where it could break off if something hit the valve, since it obviously protrudes more than a simple drain plug. For example, I would not install a Fumoto valve on my Jeep Wrangler because I want to maintain the off road ground clearance. On the Georgetown this is not an issue, as the oil drain location is about two feet off the ground and above a cross member.

The design of the Fumoto valve is such that to open it you must press up against a spring lock and rotate the ball valve lever out of a notch. It is very unlikely to accidentally come open. They do sell an additional locking tab for situations where the valve lever could hit something.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:50 PM   #16

I use regular Ole store label 5w30, Change filter and oil often.

The Fumoto valve I have , I can slide a short piece of plastic hose over the nipple. Works great.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post

The design of the Fumoto valve is such that to open it you must press up against a spring lock and rotate the ball valve lever out of a notch. It is very unlikely to accidentally come open. They do sell an additional locking tab for situations where the valve lever could hit something.
Thank you, my DH was concerned about it coming opened while driving down the road.