Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2015, 06:04 PM   #1

Older Georgetown - Last Man Out Function with Steps

I'm sorry this will be a little long winded, but I'm trying to keep it reasonable.

I own a 2004 Georgetown XL 370TS. One of the features of the LCI Coach Steps installed on the Georgetown is the Last-Man-Out feature where, with ignition and battery power off and the steps turned off, when you open the main door to make your final exit, the steps will fully extend one last time. And they will stay extended unless you choose to defeat the Last-Man-Out function in this process by closing the door before the steps fully extend. This opening and then immediately closing the door tells the step control module that you want the steps to stay retracted, as I do when the RV is parked at the storage facility, and then I just normally exit without the steps. I’ve done this for nearly 10 years to prevent the potential for inadvertent damage that could be caused to my otherwise extended steps by those parked next to me when going into or out of their space. Stuff happens and this is just an ounce of prevention. Do those of you with Georgetowns of my vintage recognize this function as well?

The rub is that last year I had a problem with the steps and one of the items replaced was the control module. Now, I have no means to defeat the Last-Man-Out function in order to keep the steps retracted. No matter what I do now, the steps will not stay retracted and insist on extending upon opening of the door, to remain extended until power to the coach and steps is turned on again. And then I get to do it all over again. Kind’a like the movie Groundhog’s Day. So now I have to exit via the driver's side door and leave the steps retracted that way. But even with the battery disconnect switch in the off position, and the steps turned off, the steps are still sitting there ready and willing to extend when the door is opened and eating my battery power in the process. (At least I'm presuming that the steps sitting there armed to deploy as part of this now unsatisfied function is the reason my house batteries are so drained when I go out to run the RV during the winter period.) So now I’ve taken to removing the batteries and bringing them home periodically to charge them so they don’t get damaged over the winter in a drained state.

So two questions (and thank you in advance for your patience):
1. Has anyone with an older Georgetown had a step control module change and noticed the loss of this functionality as well?
2. Those of you with newer Georgetowns, do you have this ability to defeat the Last-Man-Out function as well on your steps? Or no?

Thanks,
Mike
BigMac8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:16 PM   #2

hmmmmm. Interesting. We have a 2015 (bought last year) and the steps open and close even with everything turned off, battery disconnected, when we shut the door unless we flip the "always out" switch.
Sometimes it seems to get "confused" and stay out, but opening and closing the door seems to reset it.

I'm interested to see if anyone with a newer GT has the same issue as you do, or if something has changed.....

Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:44 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
When I had Lippert Steps they would do the same. One thing I could do was put a magnet next to the sensor on the door frame. But I discovered that I could reach the power switch through the sliding panel on the screen door. I had my steps replaced at the Frog Rally with quickie steps and they now retract when I shut off the power and close the door.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac8253 View Post
I'm sorry this will be a little long winded, but I'm trying to keep it reasonable.

I own a 2004 Georgetown XL 370TS. One of the features of the LCI Coach Steps installed on the Georgetown is the Last-Man-Out feature where, with ignition and battery power off and the steps turned off, when you open the main door to make your final exit, the steps will fully extend one last time. And they will stay extended unless you choose to defeat the Last-Man-Out function in this process by closing the door before the steps fully extend. This opening and then immediately closing the door tells the step control module that you want the steps to stay retracted, as I do when the RV is parked at the storage facility, and then I just normally exit without the steps. I’ve done this for nearly 10 years to prevent the potential for inadvertent damage that could be caused to my otherwise extended steps by those parked next to me when going into or out of their space. Stuff happens and this is just an ounce of prevention. Do those of you with Georgetowns of my vintage recognize this function as well?

The rub is that last year I had a problem with the steps and one of the items replaced was the control module. Now, I have no means to defeat the Last-Man-Out function in order to keep the steps retracted. No matter what I do now, the steps will not stay retracted and insist on extending upon opening of the door, to remain extended until power to the coach and steps is turned on again. And then I get to do it all over again. Kind’a like the movie Groundhog’s Day. So now I have to exit via the driver's side door and leave the steps retracted that way. But even with the battery disconnect switch in the off position, and the steps turned off, the steps are still sitting there ready and willing to extend when the door is opened and eating my battery power in the process. (At least I'm presuming that the steps sitting there armed to deploy as part of this now unsatisfied function is the reason my house batteries are so drained when I go out to run the RV during the winter period.) So now I’ve taken to removing the batteries and bringing them home periodically to charge them so they don’t get damaged over the winter in a drained state.

So two questions (and thank you in advance for your patience):
1. Has anyone with an older Georgetown had a step control module change and noticed the loss of this functionality as well?
2. Those of you with newer Georgetowns, do you have this ability to defeat the Last-Man-Out function as well on your steps? Or no?

Thanks,
Mike
First off the steps are powered (fused) directly off the battery so disconnecting battery with bat switch will not affect steps. There is an easy ways to get the steps to retract for storage. Set step power switch to on, exit coach, close screen door. reach thru screen door to turn off step power switch after steps retract and set battery disconnect to disconnect and then close main door and secure rig. Others use a magnet at the door sensor on the door jamb when the step switch can't be reached through the screen door. Some have installed a switch but that is more involved.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:48 PM   #5

LCI Coach Step Manual - Last-Man-Out Section

For those who might be curious, following is the manual section on the LCI website (available to anyone) speaking of the Last-Man-Out function.
STEP OPERATION - POWER “OFF”
1. With door open, steps extended and Power Switch turned “OFF,” steps remain extended; amber light shuts off.
2. If the steps are to be retracted with the door open, turn the power switch ON, retract the steps and turn power switch OFF. The steps will
remain retracted.
3. With door closed, steps extended and Power Switch “OFF,” turning the ignition “ON” will automatically retract steps.
4. When door is opened and ignition turned off, steps will extend one last time - last man out feature.
5. If door is opened and closed without full extension of the steps, the steps will retract and stay until Power Switch is turned “ON” and door
reopened.

You can find this manual at the following URL: http://lci1.com/assets/content/suppo...-coachstep.pdf

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-02-2015, 07:53 PM   #6

My step on/off switch is at floor level next to the steps inside the coach. The only way I can reach them thru the screen door is to stand on the outside steps, otherwise it's too far to reach.
Mike
Old 02-02-2015, 08:05 PM   #7

Double check the wiring and fuses. I have not replaced the circuit board but I did goof up the wiring behind the retract switch next to the door and blew the fuse. This is a second fuse in the fuse panel under the steps, not the one on the separate wire. In my case, I couldn't get them to stay out when the door was closed.

2004 GT 326DS
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:40 PM   #8

My steps stay retracted. I can't figure out how to correct it.
edmonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:47 PM   #9

Under-Step Wiring Diagram

Coupevillefish,

Thanks for your reply. I noticed you have the same year GT as me. I used to have a wiring diagram affixed under the steps on my Georgetown, but it's gone. Weather and road wash got to it I guess. I should have taken it down and preserved it. Bad move on my part that I didn't.

Does yours have a similar wiring diagram?
Thanks
Old 02-02-2015, 08:47 PM   #10

We have a 2009 379XL and experience the same issue including not being able to reach the house disconnect switch through the screen door. It's a bit of an inconvenience.

After speaking with FR they advised to do the following:

With ignition off and house battery on turn the generator on.

Open the door letting the steps extend, exit the coach.

With door open turn off the the house power.

Steps should then retract when the door is closed.

Shut generator off locally outside.

I haven't tried tricking it with a magnet which seems a bit simpler.
livingouradventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac8253 View Post
Coupevillefish,

Thanks for your reply. I noticed you have the same year GT as me. I used to have a wiring diagram affixed under the steps on my Georgetown, but it's gone. Weather and road wash got to it I guess. I should have taken it down and preserved it. Bad move on my part that I didn't.

Does yours have a similar wiring diagram?
Thanks
I have not found one. I figured out which fuse by wire color (white). I had pulled out the switch panel to run more wires back there for my ham radio. The step wires were too short and came unplugged. Since the in and out were the same color, I got them on backwards and blew the fuse.

I actually analyzed it for some time on a cross country trip before I got frustrated enough to concentrate on it and figured out how to correct it.
But, my problem was going in whenever I shut the door rather than staying out. However, I think your's could be a reversed wire or a bad circuit board.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:15 AM   #12

Here is a wiring diagram, for under our MH, maybe this will help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wire Diagram under steps.pdf (318.6 KB, 114 views)
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:01 PM   #13

has anyone replaced their electric stairs with mechanical (pull out)
and how did this work out?
glenn56h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:36 PM   #14

If you want the steps in when storing the rig could one simply remove the fuse going to the step while they are in the stowed position? Maybe splice a toggle into the power wire at the motor?
Old 02-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #15

I have a 2013 Georgetown XL and had the same problem. I was emailed some directions to have the step stay in the retracted position when I stopped the engine. They didn't work, so I installed a on/off switch in the area where the steps are. I could have installed the switch inside the motor home, but my wife and I always put the motor home in and out of storage together. How this works is: I stop the motor home and turn everything off with the door close, my wife flips the on/off switch to off (no power to steps) and then I open the door and the steps stay in the retracted position. When its time to leave storage, I get in (steps retracted) and power everything up and with the door closed, my wife flips the switch to power on. When I open the door the step extend. It works extremely well for us. If you were alone, then I would put the on/off switch inside in the stairwell. I hope this helps.
Bubbamace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown