Old 06-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #11

Hi!
Had a tooth emergency yesterday (root canal anyone?) so just got back to this. Sounds like I have a few things to follow up on! We had a full to 3/4 tank of fuel, so I don't believe it's the low fuel issue, unless the gas gauge was bad.
Dijoeboss - thank you for the part #, that's what I was hoping for.

I appreciate everyone sharing their experience - sounds like there are multiple reasons but most are associated with the fuel input (pump, line, filter etc)

I'll let everyone know what we discover!
Thanks
Garren

Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAndGarren View Post
Hi!
Had a tooth emergency yesterday (root canal anyone?) so just got back to this. Sounds like I have a few things to follow up on! We had a full to 3/4 tank of fuel, so I don't believe it's the low fuel issue, unless the gas gauge was bad.
Dijoeboss - thank you for the part #, that's what I was hoping for.

I appreciate everyone sharing their experience - sounds like there are multiple reasons but most are associated with the fuel input (pump, line, filter etc)

I'll let everyone know what we discover!
Thanks
Garren
Ugh, sorry to hear about the tooth! Any progress on this? We have the same coach (2014 model) and generator, these items will likely make it into the tool\extra parts kit we carry along.

Tom

2014 Georgetown 351DS, 5 kids, 2 dogs, and an amazing wife!

The Wandering Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wandering Irishman View Post
Ugh, sorry to hear about the tooth! Any progress on this? We have the same coach (2014 model) and generator, these items will likely make it into the tool\extra parts kit we carry along.

Tom
Thanks Tom! Tooth is all better now, I decided changing the fuel filter was more than I wanted to tackle, so I took the suggestion and contacted Cummins NW about the generator. The nice service manager made an appointment for tomorrow, his feeling was fuel pump based upon past experience. Looks like it is probably under warranty. Dropped the MH off tonight (open until midnight!) and they will take a look first thing tomorrow. I will let you know what the final result is. The fuel filter and air filter were both available on Amazon however.

Thanks!
Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
Old 06-17-2015, 08:03 PM   #14

And - a quick unhelpful update....

Talked with the Cummins service center this morning - they got started on looking at the generator. Had a message about 3pm - They ran it for 6 HOURS with no interuption - used multiple loads (AC on/off) etc and nothing happened.

They were closed for the day once I got the message, so we'll touch base in the AM and see what the next steps are. How SERIOUSLY annoying. Maybe we'll just have to drive it around - both times it happened while we were driving on the freeway.

More info once we get it.....

Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
Old 06-17-2015, 10:05 PM   #15

I've had 2 at work that would run for a certain amount of time, then shut off. Would not restart unless i primed it again . It would start on either and run for a few seconds though. So I knew it was a fuel issue. Both cases turned out to be the fuel filter seam was allowing the fuel pump to suck air, and eventually the carb ran out of fuel. A long prime time would allow it to run for a while, then shut off. To check it, plug off one end of filter and blow in the other end. U will probably see bubbles coming out of the seam... hope this helps and of the diy'ers.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:34 AM   #16

I had the same problem on mine . I don't remember but I think my error code was 36 also . It was a bad fuel pump it was covered under my warranty . I had to pay for the fuel filter but not the pump . I took it to a Onen dealer near by

2008 Georgetown XL 378 TS
Jack Durney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #17

Question for you. You said it was only happening when both ac were running? In most cases you cannot start the generator with both ac units wanting to turn on otherwise it will shut down the generator speaking from experience. I start the front wait till I hear the ac turning on (not just the fan ) and then start the rear. I am sure this is how the dealership does it and might be why they cannot replicate the problem.

2015 Georgetown 351
mack1roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack1roc View Post
Question for you. You said it was only happening when both ac were running? In most cases you cannot start the generator with both ac units wanting to turn on otherwise it will shut down the generator speaking from experience. I start the front wait till I hear the ac turning on (not just the fan ) and then start the rear. I am sure this is how the dealership does it and might be why they cannot replicate the problem.
Yes, I would not start with a load, we wait about 5 minutes, then turn on 1 ac, wait another few minutes and turn on the second AC. It would run fine, and then about 25 minutes later, it would shut off. After turning off the AC, we would try to restart and it wouldn't stay on for more than 5 minutes, if it would start at all, even with no AC on. So we aren't starting it with the AC on.

They ran it for another 4 hours on Friday with no shutdowns, so I've asked them to change the oil and also the air, oil and fuel filters prior to our pickup on Monday, hoepfully that will prevent anything else.
The only difference between what the dealer has been trying and our experience is the coach being in motion......let's hope that's not the issue.

The tech I have been talking with believes it's either carburetor or the fuel pump, but since it hasn't failed on them, he can't prove it, and can't justify replacing either. I'm hoping it was a ghost in the machine and our oil change + will fix the issue.
I will keep everyone posted!
Thanks
Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
Old 06-22-2015, 06:13 AM   #19

had similar problem took it to a onan dealership and they replaced fuel filter and pump. problem was corrected bit now it cant run both a/c s at the same time without tripping the transfer switch.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #20

You know that the Onan carburetor has a altitude adjustment.
Take a look at it and depending on your altitude you can adjust.
Just may be you are too lean for your altitude.
Just another suggestion.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, generator