Old 03-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Pete

Onan generator starting problem-HELP please.

We have a 2010 Georgetown 378TS….with Onan 5500 generator.

Today I changed the oil filter, air filter and added 2 qt. 15w-40 oil. Motorhome has a full tank of fuel.

I started the generator. It ran for approx. 8 seconds, then it shut down. Did this several more times without any continuous runtime. I got “2 blinks” each time.

Troubleshooting guide says this is “high/low oil pressure”.

I drained oil down to the “almost” add point on the dip stick, then I tried to restart again. Same results.

I then turned both breakers off to make sure there was no “load draw” and tried to restart.

Still the same result. I’m out of ideas.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Pete

gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #2

is it cold where you are? it could be the oil is cold and 15 40 is thick when cold. I would try warming unit up a little. and try starting a few times. the other thing is if u can take off oil filter to see if it has oil in it. get me model and spec and I will pull out a svc manual and see what else

Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gartonhl
We have a 2010 Georgetown 378TS….with Onan 5500 generator.

Today I changed the oil filter, air filter and added 2 qt. 15w-40 oil. Motorhome has a full tank of fuel.

I started the generator. It ran for approx. 8 seconds, then it shut down. Did this several more times without any continuous runtime. I got “2 blinks” each time.

Troubleshooting guide says this is “high/low oil pressure”.

I drained oil down to the “almost” add point on the dip stick, then I tried to restart again. Same results.

I then turned both breakers off to make sure there was no “load draw” and tried to restart.

Still the same result. I’m out of ideas.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Pete
Pete it sounds like stale fuel, I've had it also. How long has it been between starts?. I solved mine by light doses of of starter fuel. If you try existing old gas alone, you may ruin starter or batteries or both. You must burn all old fuel back to the tank pickup. ( maybe 3-5 minutes of run time). IMO its too late for tank additives, rebuild carb is kinda overkill. The lights only mean you haven't built oil pressure, you won't get OP till it starts. Do not overcrank I think book says maybe 10 sec. attemps with plenty of rest, use engine side control.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
Pete

mshell56118:
It is 60-70 degree range. We’re in North Texas. I will drain oil and drop oil filter tomorrow to see if oil is present in filter. Generator is an Onan HGJAB 1038-D.

VinceU:
We’re fulltimers. Generator was, and has been, running prior to me changing the oil today. Fuel is fresh….filled tank about month ago. V-10 runs fine. Took a short trip over last weekend and genny worked fine. Just a problem since I changed oil today.

Thanks to you both of your assistance.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gartonhl View Post
mshell56118:
It is 60-70 degree range. We’re in North Texas. I will drain oil and drop oil filter tomorrow to see if oil is present in filter. Generator is an Onan HGJAB 1038-D.

VinceU:
We’re fulltimers. Generator was, and has been, running prior to me changing the oil today. Fuel is fresh….filled tank about month ago. V-10 runs fine. Took a short trip over last weekend and genny worked fine. Just a problem since I changed oil today.

I wouldn't drain all oil just pull the filter to make sure there is oil there. if I understand it starts you release button then it run 8-10 secs then shuts down on the fault.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #6
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshell56118 View Post
I wouldn't drain all oil just pull the filter to make sure there is oil there. if I understand it starts you release button then it run 8-10 secs then shuts down on the fault.
Your understanding is correct. OK...I'll only drop oil filter to see if it has oil. Thanks....
Old 03-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #7

Here is the service manual for that generator hopefully it will help you out
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HGJA(A-B-C-D-E-F) SVC MANUAL SPECA-E.pdf (7.61 MB, 106 views)
Old 03-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #8

if everything worked prior to service I would look to the service event. It may sound strange but many years ago I changed the oil in my car and had problems. I found that the oil filter was defective and would not allow the oil to circulate. For the small cost maybe put another one on. If that does not work you may then want to change the gas filter. Also holding the start switch in the off position will prime the generator. A lot of people do nit know this.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Oil vicosity depends on the temperatures anticipated. I see the newer specs call for more variety than mine from 2007. In my case I use 10W-40.
When you drained the oil originally did you run the generator to warm the oil up? If not you most likely still had oil in the generator. I can tell you for sure it takes quite a while for the oil to drain when hot. If it's cold then it would take hours and hours and drain out. I ran my generator for 20 minutes and then pulled the plug. I left the pan under it and then changed the oil in the chassis motor and refilled it. Topped off the windshield wiper fluid and washed the windows. There was still a steady skinny stream of oil draining from the generator. I allowed about 2-1/2 -3 hours. You might just have too much oil in the generator.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gartonhl
mshell56118:

VinceU:

A couple of other ideas, cummins very old fashioned with lube oil, they have always stated use 30 wt. If temps predominent over freezing, also the book states error codes indicate after a fault shutdown, not after a failed start. I like you now can rule out fuel, not because the big guy will run, becaue the Onan has run. Ford engine much less susceptible to stale gas.
One more test you can try- IGN spark test. If you borrow a "Timing light", you can hook to a plug wire and insue you have ignition at the plugs. This second common source of failure bad electronics. Other way ti check, hold one pluf clese in dim light.