Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #1

Onan vs Generac

I notice all the dealer ordered Georgetown's on the lots have the Onan option in place of the standard Generac generator..

Considering the Onan is a 5,5K vs 6.5K for the Generac anyone have any idea why the dealers order the Onan on the MHs they order with the added cost..
jolinpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #2

I can't tell you why they replace a standard 6.5 with a 5.5; except it may be because of the operation of the genny...I had a Generac on a previous coach and was not happy with its operation...it was a basic Briggs engine and didn't run well...it adjusted its speed based upon need which sounds good...mine just did not run well and it left a bad taste with me...I've never had problems with an Onan.
levendoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:22 AM   #3

I too had Generac and Onan. The onan is heads above. I suspect the main reason dealer order is access to warranty stations and the quietness of the motor. Generac is alot noisier.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes you read specs and don't notice a slight difference. Is the Genrac listed as PEAK power and the Onan as continuous, by chance? I would venture a guess that Genrac can't handle the task of running the coach. I don't have either one, but have used both on construction sites, the Onan is by far thw winner in construction style generators anyway. Kubota makes a good one too.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:43 AM   #5

I have the Generac. It works well but the Onan's are quieter. The new Generac's run at a constant speed and seem well designed, but it still sounds very industrial compared to an Onan. I often walk by them in the campground and kick myself just for the noise factor. I normally run a Honda 2000 which is even quieter so it's not that big of an issue for me unless I need to fire up the microwave.

I did have an oil overheat on my Generac last summer during a 12hr 100deg drive running both air's and the fridge. The generator was very dirty and had never been cleaned so I blame myself for it.

The generac 6500W is rated at a maximum continuous power. Fuel consumption and noise ratings are very similar to the Onan 5500w but my ear says different.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolinpeck View Post
I notice all the dealer ordered Georgetown's on the lots have the Onan option in place of the standard Generac generator..

Considering the Onan is a 5,5K vs 6.5K for the Generac anyone have any idea why the dealers order the Onan on the MHs they order with the added cost..
We have both. A Generac at home for emergency power and an Onan on the Georgetown. I can tell you the Onan is much quieter. One time the Generac stoped due to a faulty low oil light. we have had no problems with the Onan.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown