Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #1

Operating propane furnace while travelin

Just a quick question regarding operating my propane furnace while traveling. I will be traveling down from the north next week and would like to run my furnace to keep the motorhome warm while traveling. Just want to make sure this is a safe practice, I have a 2016 Georgetown 327TS.

Thanks
pparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pparks View Post
Just a quick question regarding operating my propane furnace while traveling. I will be traveling down from the north next week and would like to run my furnace to keep the motorhome warm while traveling. Just want to make sure this is a safe practice, I have a 2016 Georgetown 327TS.

Thanks
I'd set my chassis heater to a high temp-- that should keep most of the coach warm enough until you get to your destination then turn on your furnace. Should save you a lot of propane.
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
Insert witty title here

Do you have an on board generator and electric heat?

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

parks....

How many of you will be travelling the motorhome?

I installed a curtain rod and floor to ceiling drapes just behind the driver and co-pilot seats. That way the dash vents and system keeps us comfy. I’m not sure many motorhome people run their furnace while driving....seems to me the wind might blow out the furnace flame......but maybe not.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
RJJ

I run my furnace while traveling in the cold. Depending on outside temps, it can get downright cold in the back. Once set up at our site we switch to electric heaters.
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:47 PM   #6

I always run my furnace from the time I leave Michigan til I get to Florida !
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:41 AM   #7

If the weather is cold enough I run my propane heater while driving. Never had an issue

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:25 PM   #8

X2
43 feet
CoMaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:38 PM   #9

Seems a lot of people do this. I have been gun shy to try it, bc one time when I left a campground on the way to Florida. I forgot and left the furnace on and when we stopped a couple hrs later for breakfast, I noticed black soot in about a 2x2 area by the vent. Luckily I was able to wipe it off, but Always been afraid to try it purposely since. Anyone else experience this?
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by tga1947 View Post
we live in Ohio and going to Florida for the first time for three months in our Class A. do you know the best route to take to avoid mountains?
Email me at tga1947@att.net
tga1947... welcome to the forum... your 1st post.

I'll suggest you start a new topic in the proper section about your question.

This thread is about operating furnaces and no one is going to notice your question about travel routes unless they happen to stumble onto this thread.

If you are unsure about how to post a new topic, read the FAQ section (frequently asked questions) at the top of the page. (or the beginning sections if using an app)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tga1947 View Post
we live in Ohio and going to Florida for the first time for three months in our Class A. do you know the best route to take to avoid mountains?
Email me at tga1947@att.net
Thru Atlanta
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:03 PM   #12
World Wide Wanderer

Depends on how cold it is... low 40's and I can keep the main part of the camper in the low 70's with the dash heat.

We did a run in the low 20's and ran the LP furnace to keep the folks in the back warm. When I had my Airstream I left the furnace on when traveling in the winter so I had a place to take a nap in warmth.

Occasionally you may have a furnace that may blow out, if that is the case a small wind guard over the flame may be necessary. I haven't ever had that problem, but have heard a few that have.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:50 PM   #13

I do it all the time...I run the chassis heat and the rear furnace and it keeps the entire coach warm. My wife often sits at the Dinette while going down the road, and the chassis heat just isn't enough. Never had a problem.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:12 PM   #14
Bene Gesserit Rule

In Australia, it is illegal (and dangerous) to gun any gas appliance while on the move. The gas must be turned off at the source (cylinder). If you are unfortunate enough to have an accident or other mishap with the propane turned on, even if no appliance is operating, then usually the end result is a BIG BOOM and lots of flames.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
In Australia, it is illegal (and dangerous) to gun any gas appliance while on the move. The gas must be turned off at the source (cylinder). If you are unfortunate enough to have an accident or other mishap with the propane turned on, even if no appliance is operating, then usually the end result is a BIG BOOM and lots of flames.

Hmm. Two Years ago we had an accident and rolled our fifth wheel. Both propane tanks were turned on at the time, as well as the fridge was running. No problems to be had. As soon as the tow truck was able to roll it back over upright, I did open the hatches and turn the tanks off just to be safe. Guess we were lucky
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #16

I wouldn’t try to gun a gas appliance while I was parked....🤷*♂️

Only kidding, I’m sure you meant run
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #17
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by arter368rlbhk View Post
I wouldn’t try to gun a gas appliance while I was parked....🤷*♂️

Only kidding, I’m sure you meant run
Oops, correct, the word should be 'run' We don't use guns in Oz, well at least not for general use.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:14 PM   #18

Running your propane furnace while travelling a long distance sounds like a bad idea to me. You will be stopping for fuel on a regular basis, and the open flame of your operating propane furnace could spark a fire or explosion at a fueling station, even if your rig is a diesel. There are often folks who pump gasoline without paying attention to overflows. In some parts of the country, I've even seen folks who light up and smoke while pumping gas!!

Suggest you turn up the heat setting on your vehicle's built in heater, keep all windows and vents closed, and fire up the furnace when you reach your destination or a rest stop.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:26 PM   #19

Never! Actually against the law in some places. Just ask a fireman or first responder, as my first responder friend said,'' in an accident situation it is one of the first things they look for" and for a reason. Propane gas sinks to the lowest point and stays there unlike natural gas which dissipates into the atmosphere. There have been many documented cases of RVs burning up from running furnaces while travelling, just google it. Not worth it in my opinion!
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:53 PM   #20

Furnace while driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
Never! Actually against the law in some places. Just ask a fireman or first responder, as my first responder friend said,'' in an accident situation it is one of the first things they look for" and for a reason. Propane gas sinks to the lowest point and stays there unlike natural gas which dissipates into the atmosphere. There have been many documented cases of RVs burning up from running furnaces while travelling, just google it. Not worth it in my opinion!
Amen, cariboo camper. That is precisely why RV's are equipped with Propane detectors. The gas is more dense than air, will sink to the floor, and then just lurk there until it finds a spark.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, propane, travel