Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2015, 06:39 PM   #1

Opinions on Georgetown 30x3

Hi Everyone,

I've seen the 30x3 in person and we really like the floorplan, finish, etc. It was after looking at an Fr3 30ds.

Going to test drive this weekend. Anyone have any opinions, experience with this model?

I'd be very interested to know if I should expect the same level of engine noise compared to an Fr3. It seems as though the 30x3 is considered a higher level model so I'm hoping there is a difference.

Thanks in advance.
Dtoste77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #2

And to clarify, I'm talking about the 3 Series GT, Georgetown.
Dtoste77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:28 PM   #3

I will be honest I had no idea what a 30x3 was and just checked online.
It seems to be on the same Ford chassis but the interiors are more like you would find in a trailer or 5th wheel.
It seems FR is trying to make motorhomes more affordable by not building the interiors as nice as the other Georgetown like the XL version.

The one thing I noticed that I like is the King Size bed. Which most of us wish we had.

Anyway for it seems it may be a good choice for families that want to just camp for a long weekend or a few weeks during the summer. It probably has single pane windows and minimum insulation compared to others but I'm just guessing.
What is the price range on these?

Let us know more after you drive it.

Good luck
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #4

Nice looking unit. I wish I had the king size bed in my Xl 377TS. We had a king in our Cardinal and I do miss it because our little dog seems to get bigger at bed time. Good luck on your decision and enjoy.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:56 AM   #5

Unit appears to have a single AC and a 4KW genny and that to me would indicate a 30 amp service. Of course it's a 31 footer and maybe that's enough but sometimes does limit power needs.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:15 AM   #6

One video I watched said it has an 18k a/c unit. I have never seen an 18K roof air.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew48 View Post
One video I watched said it has an 18k a/c unit. I have never seen an 18K roof air.
I think it's made by Atwood and they call it an 18K "equivalent" whatever that means to them.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:23 AM   #8
Citrus County, Fl.

Looks like a well thought out floor plan, similar to our Forester 3011 less some of the amenities. I like the idea of the outside kitchen allowing you to keep most of your bbq stuff out there, makes up for the small refrigerator inside. Also like the full width slide out compared to the C.

I did notice the king bed is only 74" long, not 80, but that length has not been an issue for me (5'11"). Also it does not appear to have LED lights. Guess they have to keep the costs down to compete.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:28 PM   #9

First I've seen of this. Looks interesting. Seems like a cross between FR3 and G'town standard line to me.
On the plus side...you get a fiberglass roof and (to me) a nicer interior. But it does look limited like the fr3 on the a/c & generator and I would think it is 30amp service. I think the shower is nicer than the FR3 shower as well. Not sure about the countertops which are corian look alikes in the standard line.
If there is an option for a 50amp upgrade with 5kw genny and 2nd air conditioner...I would definitely get that if you are planning to camp in hot places. We have a 15k&13k in our 29 foot G'town and need every bit of it....+ the 50 amp service lets you run the air and the microwave or coffee pot at the same time.
I would expect you're gonna hear pretty much the same noise levels on the Gtown's as on the FR3 since the chassis is exactly the same and you just have the small dog house over the engine. There are sound treatments you can add on to take it down a few db but nothing that can bury the noise when you're climbing a grade.
We're very happy with out G'town after crossing the country twice...Good luck with your decision making.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:15 AM   #10

FWIW It looks like a lighter chassis too. Compare the specs to a Georgetown.

I think you will find as many people turned off by a King bed as are turned on. It's wasted space with expensive sheets and blankets if one is used to a Queen or Double.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #11

Two adults, two dogs, King bed is heaven. It be hard to go back.

Dave & Michelle
2015 Georgetown 270SS
Calgary, Alberta
dhind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:56 PM   #12

King bed all the way. Our doxi sleeps sideways!!!
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
King bed all the way. Our doxi sleeps sideways!!!
Can agree more.. If given a choice of queen or king its a no brainer for us.. KING all the way
Old 12-25-2015, 05:52 PM   #14
Retired Techie

Haven't seen Linda this evening but will pass on your greeting. The flagpole is down and being worked on but I was assured it will have the American flag on it when it is raised. In the mean time mine will have to do. Always fly it.
Mike
2013 Keystone Springdale 5r Sold
1998 Honda Valkerie Sld
2016 Camping 148 days so far Bought park model and moved to Florida.
moligney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:50 PM   #15

We just looked at both the X and the B (bunkhouse) series of Georgetown 3's. I can confirm that it is 30 amp service. Otherwise, as some have pretty much guessed, they seem to be a good cross between a Georgetown and an FR3 with some nice dash additions and bunk options, but no residential fridge options or upgrade packages. There is a standard Arctic pack for keeping tanks above freezing but no double pane windows or other insulation upgrades.

All in all, we liked the floor plan of the 30X3 and the price point is very competitive. I'm not sure it would work for full timers as there is limited storage.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #16

My three cents are if it doesn't have two roof a/c's don't buy it. Just trade my Thor ace for a GT. 364ts. Was in fl this summer with 7 people and ac could not keep up. Just my three cents
Snoodledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #17

I own a 30x3

Just purchased a GT3 and am enjoying it. I am new to RVing. Owned a tent trailer before. Like the drivers cockpit of the XL. The ride is comfortable with little to no rattles. Waiting to get a leak fixed in the air unit. The outside kitchen is a big plus for me. I enjoy being outside while the girls stay warm inside with their games and crafts. Wife and two daughters.

Very kid friendly interior. Almost no carpet except in the bedroom far side of bed. The king bed is a little short with no complaints. We purchased the 30x3 model and really like the kitchen size. Terrific counter space.

I enjoy the drivability of the 31' models. Wonderful view for the driver with the larger window as we travel. The coach handles very well with good power from the v10. I noticed Bilstein shocks with large sway bar helping with the solid feel.

I need to figure out how to wire up some fans in the vents. Single pain Windows need some help staying free of condensation. I added some maxxair II covers and that has helped. Would like some fantastic fans though.

We don't plan on winterizing the coach so the artic pack has helped a ton. We keep an electric heater running inside while it sits next to the house.

We plan on boondocking quite a bit. Am i wrong thinking a 30 amp coach may use less electricity? It comes with led lighting throughout. Upgrading the battery capasity may be in the future.

Any help is much appreciated.

Happy new year
Greg
Rockaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #18

You are correct in the sense that a 30 Amp coach has fewer big loads like the second and third AC along with some of the built in heaters. OTOH with the AC on and two children you can trip the breaker easier when one hits the microwave while another the hair dryer when the A/C is on or even the basic loads running high.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:15 PM   #19

There is something to be said for a King bed in a midsize RV. Even most big rigs only have a queen. We have a king in our 337 and love it, it is worth giving up a little living space to have the big comfortable bed.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #20

We boondocked for several years in a 30 amp unit and it was plenty as long as you are careful with what you use at the same time. An A/C, microwave, coffee pot and toaster all pull a good bit of current. Normally if the A/C is on you cannot run the microwave at the same time. but as long as you are careful with what you run at the same time there is no problem.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown