Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 11:16 PM   #1

Orange Wrench light on dash?

Motorhome info: 2012 Georgetown 280ds on a 2011 Ford F53 chassis. Flat towing a 2018 2 door Jeep Wrangler.

So this morning on our way home from an extended weekend in Branson MO we had been on the road about an hour when I needed to use the restroom, I pulled off and into a gas station, parked the RV and stepped into the bathroom in the coach.. when I returned to my seat I saw the small orange wrench symbol.. to be completely honest I’m not 100% sure when it came on but I’m almost positive it was not on when I exited the free way because I’m anal about keeping a eye on the dash and the scan gauge so I pretty sure I would’ve noticed it!

I do have a scan gauge but it said no codes could be found, I shut the engine off and started it right back up with no issues and no light for the rest of the trip home.(about 300 miles)

Form what I could find on the internet the light indicates a possible problem with the fly by wire gas pedal and or the throttle body but it also says when the light is on the RV will be in limp mode and will have no power.. I did not experience any of that!

Has anyone had this happen or have a better explanation of the light! Again it was a small yellow open ended wrench icon not the typical CEL light, we were towing our jeep up and down the hills at around 60-65mph, trans temp range would float from 172 to 182 and coolant was right at 200 and it was about 80 degrees outside. Also coach has just over 14000 miles on it.

Thanks for any help, I hate to take it to the dealer without the light being on esp since there are no codes stored.
Beards79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:23 AM   #2

I had the same thing happen on my E450 chassis. No codes, no drivability issues. When the dealer scanned it with their laptop it showed that one of the two brake pedal switches (the two switches are in the same housing) was not activating in sync with the other. The tech swapped the switch out and I was on my way, they did it in the parking lot and I didn't even have to disconnect my toad. The cruse Control is disabled when the wrench symbol (power train malfunction indicator)is on. My issue was covered by warranty.

I now have a scanner that can read the extended codes in the hope that it will be able to read the manufacturer specific codes should the need ever arrise.

Good luck.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
I had the same thing happen on my E450 chassis. No codes, no drivability issues. When the dealer scanned it with their laptop it showed that one of the two brake pedal switches (the two switches are in the same housing) was not activating in sync with the other. The tech swapped the switch out and I was on my way, they did it in the parking lot and I didn't even have to disconnect my toad. The cruse Control is disabled when the wrench symbol (power train malfunction indicator)is on. My issue was covered by warranty.

I now have a scanner that can read the extended codes in the hope that it will be able to read the manufacturer specific codes should the need ever arrise.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info hope that’s all it is! What scanner did you buy that allows you to see the extended codes if you don’t mind me asking?
Old 05-28-2019, 10:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beards79 View Post
Thanks for the info hope that’s all it is! What scanner did you buy that allows you to see the extended codes if you don’t mind me asking?
Bluedriver it's a bluetooth based dongle. It seems to work well with all vehicles I've tried it with. I've used it with my iPhone & iPad.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 05-28-2019, 10:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
Bluedriver it's a bluetooth based dongle. It seems to work well with all vehicles I've tried it with. I've used it with my iPhone & iPad.

Awesome. Thanks again, I’m going to order one. I have a scanner in addition to the scan gauge but it won’t read the soft codes either.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beards79 View Post
Awesome. Thanks again, I’m going to order one. I have a scanner in addition to the scan gauge but it won’t read the soft codes either.
Same here, both the cheep HF scanner and ScanGauge came up blank.

FYI I found a small case that fits it perfectly on ebay. Search for
"CASEMATIX-AUTOCASE-Car-and-Auto-Mini-Carry-Case-Compatible-with-BlueDriver"

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401

Tags
light