Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2014, 10:58 PM   #1

Our new G'Town 2015 280DS

Well it's been a long time in the works....but we are finally owners of the last 280DS ever made and the ONLY 2015 model. That is a long story in itself...but we are most pleased with the end result!
Since nothing is good without pictures, I'll include some with comments here below, to highlight some of the changes from the 2014 to 2015 year which should apply throughout the non-XL line.

At 29 feet...she is just the right size for us and in the 30 miles we've driven so far on a variety of roads, she seems to handle beautifully to us novices. We'll learn more on the several hundred mile run home in a week or so. Since we didn't want to have to drive BACK to the dealer to get things fixed as we discovered them...we decided to take a camp spot for 2 nights and really try out every function and system in the coach.
This proved to be a good idea as reading about something is never the same as doing it! We came up with an additional 5 or six small items that we didn't catch on the PDI walk through.
The threads and links here were a great help during the PDI. We also went and bought a 50 buck video camera...Vivitar/16GB/Walmart... and "taped" the whole walk through with the GREAT tech so we can go back and refer to it as needed ...like where the brake fluid goes...and how to work the map lights.
The shop will have the Coach for the better part of the week to fix some minor issues and perhaps put a class 4 hitch on to carry our scooters if they can get one in time.
DW and I are thrilled with the changes from 2014 to 15 and (so far) pleasantly surprised at the very few issues discovered. Here's the pix and some comments. Hope to see some of you "out there" real soon!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/438005...7645244449688/

Well...I can't seem to post pictures from flikr...so the link to all of them is above. Commentary in orderL
1. Coach with Awning out...LED light strip runs the length of the awning. All interior lights are now LED except for two decorative fixtures. Note also...STEP is now a Kwikee!! yea!!
2. Front seating area...is now all vinly wood look and no carpet! Under pedals is heavy duty black vinyl to prevent showing wear.
3. "Home Theater System" is Jensen DVD/Radio + four overhead 3" speakers and a powered sub (small) positioned at FRont of passenger legroom area on right front floor. System is fairly sucko and dated...but new position of subwoofer makes upgrades easier if that interests you. Above radio is backup & side camera screen. TV over coach front is a nice upgrade to a Toshiba 32". Same in Bedroom!
4. Windows are now all frameless with crank out closure. GREAT!
5. Kitchen Area...standard equipment is Dometic fridge, large microwave, 3 burner stove and oven. Corian type counter tops standard...with full inserts for sink & stove. Faucet is upgraded to include pull our sprayer where nozzle used to be.
6. Standard short queen mattress butts up against wardrobe with slide in but does not hinge in any way...making it useable with slides in. Standard mattress is OK...but our plan was to try a topper first and a good bed second...We got a couple of decent nights sleep but I'd want something more comfortable for the long term.
7. Hide a Bed sofa and fold down small dinette will handle 2 adults and one child. Note leatherette on dining room cushions to match sofa is NOT standard. Standard would be fabric to match valance. Sofa is comfortable seating.
8. From this angle you can see there is no carpeting on the slideout either...and you can see the crank out windows and double shades.
9. Next task is to see about getting a class 4 hitch installed so we can carry Beauty and The Beast with us without exceeding tongue weight. (And yes...Coach, Axle, and CCC will allow this...and still leave me with a bit less than 2k lbs in capacity.

That's it for now....hope you found this interesting & useful as you look at 2015's. Thanks to many here for getting me to this point in good shape.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:38 AM   #2

Congrats on your new Georgetown 2015 280DS and thanks for a link to your pics. Great looking coach!!
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #3

Nice!
fullenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:00 AM   #4

Hey great looking coach. I have a 351 on order. Did you order the dinette cushions like that it is that how they are coming now ? Curious to know what cushion would be on my coach

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2010 Keystone Laredo 310RE 5th wheel "sold"
2015 Georgetown 351 "sold"
2016 Coachmen Sportscoach 404RB
mack1roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack1roc View Post
Hey great looking coach. I have a 351 on order. Did you order the dinette cushions like that it is that how they are coming now ? Curious to know what cushion would be on my coach

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I was able to finagle those cushions to match to the couch for some $$. Normally...the seat cushions and backs are made out of the "busier" of the two fabrics you choose for your coach. The fabric in my picture of the sofa that is OVER the sofa window is the fabric that would have been used in mine based on the "Thunder" color scheme. You might also have ordered Latte or Khaki or Shadow...in each case the busiest more design oriented fabric is the one you should end up with.

Thanks to all for the good wishes.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #6

Love it! we have a 2015 351 and the home theatre system is EXACTLY as you describe it - Sucko. It's adequate when stopped, but can't hear a thing unless it's cranked when driving.

I'm thinking we need 2 more speakers, actually in the cab, rather than behind it like it exists.

Glad you like it. Happy trails!

Garren
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:02 PM   #7

Thanks Garren....I've been salivating waiting to see the changes on mine since you first described yours!
I'm absolutely gonna make some "sound improvements" down the road...but the bank account will need to recover a bit first.....In the meantime...I have headphones! LOL

Here's a question for you...on yours...is there ANY AC/DC or USB power in the front of the coach other than the single cigarette lighter plug? My Garmin 760 uses that...so I've been thinking about mounting a triple or quad Cigarette adapter and maybe a small inverter to charge everything and keep the laptop chunking while on the road. Have you done anything like this?
The Garmin uses a max of 24 watts so that leave me some amps to charge phones/tablets...but not enough to run the laptop which eats 65 watts at 18 V...hence thinking about an inverter primarily for that and other small needs.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #8

Hmmmm. On he the power, only have the 12v plug, but there is a 110 plug in the bottom of the cabinet right behind the passenger seat (over the top of the euro chair) that has seemed to work when driving. I don't see why an inverter wouldn't work!

Let us know if you replace the sucko radio.....haven't had the time (or frankly, the cash!) to look into it ourselves yet. I will lye you know if we do!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #9

And what is the long story on the last 280? Discontinued?
Old 07-14-2014, 10:43 PM   #10

Will check over passenger seat but I think that is unique to yours. Thanks & will also let you know when I do something audio-wise.

As to the 280...yeah...I wanted to wait till fall, but they came out with the 270 and I stopped seeing new 280's come on to the market. Checking with G'town management, I found that it had just been discontinued...but they offered to build me one AND make it a 2015...so I jumped early and got the last 280 AND the only 2015 ever built! I'm sure it will bring a premium price in about 20 years because of its' rarity!! (/sarc)
See ya out there!
Old 07-17-2014, 12:22 AM   #11

Chris, I added two speakers on the dash with a toggle switch between them and the rear speakers - huge improvement. We head out tomorrow, I'll add some pics when I can.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Toad with ReadyBrute Elite
Networx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:00 AM   #12

Please pictures and descriptions if they work, that would be awesome!
Old 07-17-2014, 10:25 AM   #13

2010 Keystone Laredo 310RE 5th wheel "sold"
2015 Georgetown 351 "sold"
2016 Coachmen Sportscoach 404RB
mack1roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #14

Congratulations on your beautiful new rig! Many many happy, safe and adventurous miles with it.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #15

you will enjoy your 280 we have had our 2011 since aug of 10 ,i like the new floors and a few other tweaks appear to make it even nicer ,but ours is paid for and cant afford the hit i wuold take to upgrade a bit,that is gonna have to wait a couple more years but at this pont my next coach will be a FR brand again
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #16

So how did you finagle those leatherette dinette cushions exactly? Who did you talk to in order to pull that off? What was the extra cost for that? We are looking at the 351DS and the DW really does not like the fabric covered dinette. We have six kids, so leatherette is our friend.

Congrats on the coach!
aarong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #17

Thanks aarong...sent you a PM on the issue. Good luck with yours...DW's rule!!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)

Tags