Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2017, 05:47 PM   #1

Outside camera monitor virtually useless while driving.

I have a 2015 328 with the standard monitor for using the backup and turn signal cameras. I find the monitor, for viewing during bright sunshine especially wearing sunglasses, virtually useless. The screen for my GPS unit can be seen perfectly.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Has anyone come up with a solution? I have tried changing the brightness setting with marginal results.

rkulbok
(Ron & Karin)
2015 Georgetown 328TS
Full time since October 2015
rkulbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran RV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkulbok View Post
I have a 2015 328 with the standard monitor for using the backup and turn signal cameras. I find the monitor, for viewing during bright sunshine especially wearing sunglasses, virtually useless. The screen for my GPS unit can be seen perfectly.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Has anyone come up with a solution? I have tried changing the brightness setting with marginal results.
I too have a 2015 328TS. Same issues with the monitor! The whole dash is not designed right. But, it is what it is. I too would like to find a better solution, short of ripping the whole dash out and completely remodeling it. Which is not going to happen.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amullis View Post
I too have a 2015 328TS. Same issues with the monitor! The whole dash is not designed right. But, it is what it is. I too would like to find a better solution, short of ripping the whole dash out and completely remodeling it. Which is not going to happen.

Same issue on the 270. The dash camera is useless for turns. Set the mirrors up properly and use those.
dhind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:16 PM   #4

Quote:

I have the 2016 GT XL 352QS, the monitor is useless because it is small and set too low, have to take my eye off the road to look at it.

That said, I bought a 9 inches external monitor and set the monitor on top of my dash and all works well.

Hookup is very simple. Just disconnect the video input behind the dash radio and plug right into the monitor.

tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:41 AM   #5

Quote:

Useless and dangerous. You have to take your eye totally away from the road.
I like the solution a couple of posts up with the 9" monitor.
(formerly 2016 Georgetown 378XLF
Amateur Radio KA5GIL vhf/uhfonboard
CaptainJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:15 PM   #6

Reposition it....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Reposition it....
Yes, the picture shown above was my initial installation position for testing. I did later on move to a better position so I do not have to take my eyes off the road and still be able to monitor my surrounding.

It works very well and the whole thing cost me about $70 and less than 30 minutes of installation.

Right now, I only velcro it to stay on my dash until I found the best/optimum position then I may have to drill holes on my dash to permanently mount it there.

What I also like is my wife is also could check my tow at any time as an extra set of eyes while I am driving as well.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdle View Post

It works very well and the whole thing cost me about $70 and less than 30 minutes of installation.

What monitor is that and are you satisfied with it?
What kind of mount are you using to secure it to the dash? Your dash setup appears to be very similar to mine.
(formerly 2016 Georgetown 378XLF
Amateur Radio KA5GIL vhf/uhfonboard
CaptainJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJustice View Post
What monitor is that and are you satisfied with it?
What kind of mount are you using to secure it to the dash? Your dash setup appears to be very similar to mine.
The monitor is just a universal display monitor that could accommodate an RCA video connection (single yellow female plug) as well as could run on 12 volts circuit. I tried to look for the same model that I purchased on Amazon but seems that they do not have it anymore. However, this is another similar one that you could use.

https://www.amazon.com/CAIRUTE-Inch-...r+view+monitor

As far as the performance and the use of the external monitor, I am very happy with it. It works well, serves the purpose and very inexpensive as well.

As far as mounting. I am currently using the velcro to the base temporary until I am happy with where it should be, then I may have to drill holes on the dash to attach it permanently.

Have fun.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:24 PM   #10

Tam, how is that powered? I see only one cord to it.
Sandy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy B View Post
Tam, how is that powered? I see only one cord to it.
Hello Sandy,

I tried to look for the model that I bought for me on my RV few months ago, but it seems that they do not have that model on Amazon anymore.

The link that I sent you was the only one that I could find in 9" that would work. For that model, the power and the video are 2 separate inputs. Note that you see the AC adaptor, its purpose is to convert the 110 volts to 12 volts @ 5Watts. What I would do is make up another end or cut the adaptor wire and run the 12 volts directly to it and skip the adapter. The monitor only looks for 12-24volt DC.

The following link is better and cleaner installation. Both of the video and power are already in the same thin bundle. All you have to do is to plug in the video to one of the yellow female connector and the 12 volts to the red and negative to the black, skip the blue. The only thing different is this is a 7" monitor, not the 9" but same type of wiring that I have on my 9".

https://www.amazon.com/Sunvalleytek-...YGD2TX2R385GVV

I will keep looking for the 9" monitor, once I find it, I will post the link here.

Let me know if this answers your question.

Tam Le
Old 04-16-2017, 09:35 AM   #12

Hello everyone,

I finally found the 9" monitor that would work. It has the simple wiring bundle that is the same was what I described above for the 7" but this is the 9" monitor.

https://www.amazon.com/SallyBest-Inc...22+car+monitor

Let me know if you need any additional help.

Tam Le
Old 04-16-2017, 10:59 AM   #13

The power chair electrical adjustment has stopped working. Where are the fuses?
HallmanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallmanL View Post
The power chair electrical adjustment has stopped working. Where are the fuses?
Depending on your RV model and year made, for me, I do not know for sure since I do not have the need to check for the power seat circuit yet.

That said, if it was me, I would check the fuse box under the dash on the left of my steering column, at least, that was on my unit.

Good luck!
Old 04-17-2017, 09:38 AM   #15

Before buying a separate monitor make sure your cameras are plugged into the switcher via RCA and not a DIN cable. Depending on how yours is configured you might not be able to simply buy a Monitor. I did the same with this monitor when I purchased my 352.

From what I have noticed, if you already have a separate monitor on your dash, your unit uses a DIN connection for the cameras, vs. a RCA plug

Old 04-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbailey13 View Post
Before buying a separate monitor make sure your cameras are plugged into the switcher via RCA and not a DIN cable. Depending on how yours is configured you might not be able to simply buy a Monitor. I did the same with this monitor when I purchased my 352.

From what I have noticed, if you already have a separate monitor on your dash, your unit uses a DIN connection for the cameras, vs. a RCA plug
Thanks Chris for emphasizing the RCA plug. Depending on your model, before you buy the monitor, make sure to check and see if you have the RCA video plug that currently plugged into the back of your factory installed unit. If you do have the RCA plug connection for video, the monitor that have the link posted above should works fine.

Have fun...
Old 04-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbailey13 View Post
Before buying a separate monitor make sure ...

Chris,

Look like you do tug the monitor the same place that I did. So far, it looks like the best position for me.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdle View Post
Chris,

Look like you do tug the monitor the same place that I did. So far, it looks like the best position for me.
Agreed, that is probably the best location...So you don't have to take your eyes completely off the road.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:02 AM   #19

what did you have to do to get to the wires and video plug?
seacurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:30 AM   #20

Just ordered one for my 377ts. Hate the location of the factor one.