Old 01-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #11

Always learning on this forum. DA! I never thought of using the breaker switch as an on/off switch vs. pulling off the heater cover and dealing with that small cotter pin under the wires no less. Thanks Guys!

On another note to the OP, why do you want to install a larger WH tank? When I bought my first MH it had a 6 gallon water heater. I didn't know squat about rv's and I thought wow that's small. Guy I bought the rig from told me he and his DW never ran out of hot water. Well now after seven years rv'ing with the 6 gallon and now 10 gallon in the Georgetown I can easily state my DW and me have never ran out of hot water, whether doing dishes or dishes and showers. The small tanks make sense because they re-heat the water so quickly, especially if you use propane and electric together.

sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #12
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Does the 2005 370ts have a 6 gallon or 10 gallon water heater. My 2007 has a 10 gallon which has plenty of hot water for our bath & a half. Do they make a larger water heater than 10 gallons that installs like the existing side vent type?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #13

My 2005 359ts XL has a 10 gallon WH. I think it was standard on the XL in 2005.

bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #14

Ours is a 6 Gal. G/E DSI Water Heater. Anyone know what brand it is. If it's this one, no wander we never run out of hot water:

Atwood GE9-EXT Gas and Electric XT 6 Gallon DSI Water Heater 90071 Camper Trailer RV

Atwood XT - The Intelligent Way to Deliver More Hot Water

Ever wish you could have more hot water but didn’t want a bigger, bulkier, heavier water heater? Provides the equivalent of 9 gallons of hot water in a 6 gallon size by heating cold water to a hotter temperature and then mixing it with more cold water through an already installed mixing valve on the rear.
The result is 50% more hot water! Easily installed in the same cut-out dimension of an existing Atwood 6 gallon water heater. Features pre-installed winterizing by-pass kit.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair View Post
when we do shut off the heater when traveling and such, I just use the breaker, easy peasy and everyone is happy happy happy.

When we purchased our first RV during the pdi the tech showed me to turn off breaker and switch w/ cotter pin outside. I've been using both ever since, creature of habit I guess. Never had a prob with burnt out heating elements.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #16
WSW

If you turn off the breaker inside, does all of the 12 volt ignition systems work for using the propane side of things. Figure I could just try it but thought i would ask if someone knew. I am doing a lot of things right now to it and it will save me at least 5 minutes work time if i do not have to turn the breaker off, then turn the gas switch on and wait for the click.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #17

The inside breaker just runs the 120VAC to the WH. The 12V/propane should work with the breaker off. However, I leave my breaker on until I get ready to drain the unit. Then I turn off the inside and outside 120V just to be sure.

Bill

2005 Georgetown 359ts
Old 01-28-2014, 07:45 PM   #18
WSW

As far as water heater capacity goes. My wife always gets first crack at the shower. She runs out of water before she gets to shaving the legs, so that kind of puts downer on things. Then I have to end up waiting for water to heat back up. Then maybe she ends up back in for the legs, then I am waiting again. This time not so unhappily though. I figured if I could get more hotter water longer (KY Speak), all kinds of problems would work itself out. 6 gallon heater is not enough. I might have passed on the coach if I had paid more attention to the size of the water heater. Live and learn.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #19

WSW, your problem isn't the water heater, no disrespect, but your Dear Wife, and the length of shower she takes. I don't pretend to know everything about RV's and RV'ing, but I'm pretty sure most RV's have no bigger water heater than 10 gal. and from what you are saying that probably wouldn't work either. Does your shower head have a shut off valve on it so you can turn off water flow while washing? Most folks will do the Navy shower thing, wet, turn off, wash, rinse. This should take maybe a gallon or 11/2 gals. of water at most. However, I have seen ads for external water heaters to supplement the house tank. Perhaps another forum member will have more insight or link to one of these.
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSW View Post
As far as water heater capacity goes. My wife always gets first crack at the shower. She runs out of water before she gets to shaving the legs, so that kind of puts downer on things. Then I have to end up waiting for water to heat back up. Then maybe she ends up back in for the legs, then I am waiting again. This time not so unhappily though. I figured if I could get more hotter water longer (KY Speak), all kinds of problems would work itself out. 6 gallon heater is not enough. I might have passed on the coach if I had paid more attention to the size of the water heater. Live and learn.
First, are you sure you have a 6 gallon unit? I have a very similar unit (2005 359TS) and mine is 10 gallons. We have never had a problem running out of hot water and if I think we are close, I run the gas to help recover.

Bill

2005 Georgetown 359ts

Tags
electric