Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #1

Oven Insulation

We're currently on an extended trip in our 2011 Georgetown 337. A few days ago, we used the gas oven for the first time. After about 5 minutes or less, we realized that the counter top material (fake Corian) covering on the stove top was very hot - enough to cause a serious burn to the hand and to melt the cellophane on a loaf of bread on the counter top, We later discovered that the rear section of the stove top cover had cracked - presumably from the excessive heat.

It would appear that there is no insulation between the top of the oven and the cooktop. I haven't taken it apart yet to investigate it - I'll let the dealer do that when I take it in.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Did I miss the memo that said "Remove the counter top inserts from the stovetop when using the oven or risk serious injury"?
bendrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #2

Yes ,there is a oven vent top of range. You didn't miss it they don't tell you but it is in the book.
louis cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #3

Yea, I had some fruit along the counter behind the stove top. After baking up some yummy enchiladas for the pot luck I started smelling strange smells. Sure enough there is a vent from the oven up onto the stove stop. I started with bananas and apples and ended up with warm yellow mush and warm brown mush.

So like you said, remove everything from around the stove top before using the oven.

Same goes for using the gas range. In my dad's RV last season he melted one of those long butane stove lighters because it was sitting next to the stove stop when he was boiling a big pot of water. It was pretty exciting when the butane tank in that little lighter let go. He got the fire out by smothering it with a dish towel. Melted the dishtowel into the lighter too. Pretty scarey.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:20 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
When using the oven---------

When using the oven or the top burners, I always open the window just behind the stove and the outside wall vent along with the turning the vent hood fan on.

Remove any items from behind the stove top. As said above, the stove top will get very hot.

By doing this, it will provide a path for the heat to vent to the outside.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote